2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

Already working on building relationships with the 2026 class. Below is a 6'1 wing from Pickerington Central H.S. 

I'm thinking about maybe starting a recruiting thread for the 2024 and later offers/commitments for the WBB program to organize the years on some of these offers/commitments after the dust settles this off season (unless anyone else wants to start one up in recruiting thread, feel free to do so). 

9 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Still need a point guard

I'll be interested to see who gets brought in for that. Hoping for a specific recruit, but that point guard will have plenty of options right now. Akron will most likely be in the mix (if still looking for a point guard when that recruit ultimately decides where to commit).

EDIT - There are two point guards coming in from the 2023 H.S. recruits. It doesn't look like any of them decommitted, but I could be wrong. 

Dacia Lewandowski

Leila Jones

Olivia Brown

Edited by mes102

4 hours ago, mes102 said:

I'll be interested to see who gets brought in for that. Hoping for a specific recruit, but that point guard will have plenty of options right now. Akron will most likely be in the mix (if still looking for a point guard when that recruit ultimately decides where to commit).

EDIT - There are two point guards coming in from the 2023 H.S. recruits. It doesn't look like any of them decommitted, but I could be wrong. 

Dacia Lewandowski

Leila Jones

Olivia Brown

Who are you hoping for?

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Who are you hoping for?

I was hoping for Paige Kohler, but I forgot we have two point guards in this 2023 class already. Kohler reminds me of a shorter version of Ohio State's Jacy Sheldon for anyone that watched the NCAAW Tournament this year. 

Edited by mes102
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Another clear roster spot for coach Gensler 🔥

Abby - great kid, but if she couldn't crack the rotating eight in this year's team, she wasn't going to in next year's.  Sorry to see her go, but it's best for her and us too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mes102 said:

I was hoping for Paige Kohler, but I forgot we have two point guards in this 2023 class already. Kohler reminds me of a shorter version of Ohio State's Jacy Sheldon for anyone that watched the NCAAW Tournament this year. 

If Paige is a shorter version of Jacy Sheldon that is good enough for me. I watched Jacy play many times before and after her injury. She is fantastic. Paige is welcome here. Please use your influence and help coach Gensler to bring her to Akron. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

If Paige is a shorter version of Jacy Sheldon that is good enough for me. I watched Jacy play many times before and after her injury. She is fantastic. Paige is welcome here. Please use your influence and help coach Gensler to bring her to Akron. 

I think you're overstating my influence 😂. The two I knew specifically about out of the Buffalo de-commits was from somewhere else (although I did see somewhere posted that Kohler requested on 3/22 as well). I would love to see her come to Akron, but there three guards coming in from the 2023 class (unless I'm missing any de commits) so if the coach is looking for a point guard, he's probably looking for one in the portal. That would be my guess. 

On 4/18/2023 at 4:16 PM, blueandgold said:

Nice addition. I can already see that we are building a much bigger/larger team than in the past with the addition of Taponen and Riley. I like it.

We've added two bigs who played a total of 54 minutes this year. I guess I'll stay cautiously optimistic. Hopefully they were just in a log jam behind upper classmen.

Edited by ewbrooman1

16 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Lauren Ross the fine WMU guard decommitted from CMU. I wonder where she might land...

On 4/18/2023 at 8:29 PM, Hilltopper said:

Still need a point guard

Agreed. You never want to rely on a freshman PG.

Having said that, I remember Coach Jackson remarking a number of times how she liked incoming freshman PG Olivia Brown of Fishers, IN.

This is from a GoZips dot com press release:

JACKSON ON BROWN – "From Day One, Olivia was our No. 1 point guard in the 2023 class. She is an outstanding leader and winner in everything she does. Olivia is an elite defender with a motor and tremendous speed. She is a great floor general who can really run a team. A candidate for Miss Indiana, Olivia can also score the ball with great ability to get to the rim."

People seem to be caught up on the press conference 😂 ...Don't worry, they'll be one eventually. In case you missed it, I think this tweet below might have had something to do with it. You don't want to schedule a press conference and then have to cancel it.