MAC Basketball 2022-23

Let'sGoZips94

Just now, 1981 grad said:

I remember reading this story how Buffalo had signed Hurley and then next thing I knew he was at Arizona State.   Here is an interesting story how the AD screwed up the contract extension.  https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2015/04/10/report-bobby-hurley-left-buffalo-after-ad-mishandling/25584229/

Realistically when a P6 school comes calling, the coach is going to leave. I think Buffalo signed Oats to a massive 800k extension just weeks before he darted to Alabama for a significant pay bump.

9 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Our own Charles Guthrie fired a 92-80 coach, replacing him with a "Name" guy...Will Ryan (son of Wisconsin legend Bo Ryan). Willy was a .500 coach at D-2 Wheeling prior to leeching on to his dad's resume like a remora on a shark belly, and bamboozling Guthrie.

Yikes, that doesn't inspire much confidence about our new women's coach selection. Since we stilI haven't heard, I assume our AD is hiring one of the coaches from the programs left still playing in the NCAA or NIT? 🤔

Edited by ewbrooman1

Our Canadian friends can be quite funny as they endure the coaching search:

Posted 21 minutes ago

39 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Have had the name Jon Safir come up now. Diving into that now

At this point I imagine the criteria is:

1. Do you have any ties to Buffalo?

2. Have you ever coached basketball?

NOT MAC RELATED:

Did anyone watch the NIT semifinals last night? It was a pair of awesome games. It's a shame they were in Vegas instead of MSG. They definitely lacked the luster the NIT semis usually have. Anyway, North Texas of the C-USA took down Wisconsin in a slow-paced grind-it-out classic. Wisconsin led 54-46 with 9 minutes to go, and didn't score again. UNT won 56-54. They play a bit like Akron, I enjoy watching them quite a bit.

The next game featured our old friend Aziz Bandaogo and Utah Valley against yet another C-USA team in UAB. UAB had the upper hand most of the evening, but Aziz helped keep it close. UVU got it to OT, but couldn't get the stops they needed. UAB onto the NIT final to make it a C-USA party.

The C-USA now represents both teams playing in the NIT championship and a national semifinalist in FAU. This is some wild stuff. The NIT title game is on Thursday night, and of course the Final Four games on Saturday. I love seeing mid-majors do what they're doing right now. The only thing that could make it better is if we were in on the party.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

NOT MAC RELATED:

Did anyone watch the NIT semifinals last night? It was a pair of awesome games. It's a shame they were in Vegas instead of MSG. They definitely lacked the luster the NIT semis usually have. Anyway, North Texas of the C-USA took down Wisconsin in a slow-paced grind-it-out classic. Wisconsin led 54-46 with 9 minutes to go, and didn't score again. UNT won 56-54. They play a bit like Akron, I enjoy watching them quite a bit.

The next game featured our old friend Aziz Bandaogo and Utah Valley against yet another C-USA team in UAB. UAB had the upper hand most of the evening, but Aziz helped keep it close. UVU got it to OT, but couldn't get the stops they needed. UAB onto the NIT final to make it a C-USA party.

The C-USA now represents both teams playing in the NIT championship and a national semifinalist in FAU. This is some wild stuff. The NIT title game is on Thursday night, and of course the Final Four games on Saturday. I love seeing mid-majors do what they're doing right now. The only thing that could make it better is if we were in on the party.

And Aziz’s coach just got hired by Cal.  Wondering if he would be looking to transfer again even though he would need to sit a year?