Article on UCF and the MAC

Captain Kangaroo

UCF went from MAC -> CUSA -> AAC -> Big12

Must be nice.

I'm incredibly jealous as Akron seems to be content stuck in the MAC forever. Except for the soccer program of course. Would be great to have something to look forward to besides a basketball game against a 6-win team from Western Michigan or freaking Miami of Ohio. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs down 3

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

Would be great to have something to look forward to besides a basketball game against a 6-win team from Western Michigan or freaking Miami of Ohio. 

60 point loses to Kansas, Kansas State and Baylor are games to look forward to?

Must be nice.

I'm incredibly jealous as Akron seems to be content stuck in the MAC forever. Except for the soccer program of course. Would be great to have something to look forward to besides a basketball game against a 6-win team from Western Michigan or freaking Miami of Ohio. 

I'm assuming UCF's growth plan they pitched included becoming one of the largest universities in the country. They grew enrollment then committed heavily to athletics, particularly football. That's how they've gotten to the Big12. 

Must be nice.

I see what you did there; subtle switch from football to basketball. I can play along. Don't be disparaging Miami of Ohio; they put up a valiant effort in their loss to that basketball powerhouse NIU.

4 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I see what you did there; subtle switch from football to basketball. I can play along. Don't be disparaging Miami of Ohio; they put up a valiant effort in their loss to that basketball powerhouse NIU.

I feel like there hasn't been much excitement around football for years and basketball is all we have right now. This past season was probably the most hyped people here have been in years. UA made a financial commitment to build top not facilities for the football program, but went on to hire two of the worst coaches in the history of Zips football. Bowden was able to see some success but was never the splash hire we needed.

On 1/20/2023 at 4:45 PM, akzipper said:

I feel like there hasn't been much excitement around football for years and basketball is all we have right now. This past season was probably the most hyped people here have been in years. UA made a financial commitment to build top not facilities for the football program, but went on to hire two of the worst coaches in the history of Zips football. Bowden was able to see some success but was never the splash hire we needed.

Bowden had us on the right track but seemed to lose interest (or had a bad experience with university leadership). He went from 8-5 and a bowl victory to 4-8 (2-6) a couple years later. As far as I know he hasn't interviewed for another FCS job. 

12 hours ago, Spin said:

Bowden had us on the right track but seemed to lose interest (or had a bad experience with university leadership). He went from 8-5 and a bowl victory to 4-8 (2-6) a couple years later.

Something definitely happened. He appointed Milwe as OC & just sort of seemed to mail it in from there on out. 

12 hours ago, Spin said:

As far as I know he hasn't interviewed for another FCS job. 

He's currently the HC at FBS UL-M (University of Louisiana - Monroe).

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 11:46 AM, Zipmeister said:

NIU 86 - Kent 76

Akron 73 - Miami 68 (1 pt diff with 33 seconds left at home)

😳 

On 1/25/2023 at 3:23 PM, Zipped Up said:

Akron 73 - Miami 68 (1 pt diff with 33 seconds left at home)

😳

Is this a running score over three games or is this an actual score for one game?  Either could be true when it comes to the Akron/Miami rivalry.