Game 10 - Miami Redhawks

ZippyRulz

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

I have a major concern. Better play calling wouldn't have resulted in more wins. Maybe less fan agony, but not more wins. My concern is, with less than a handful of games remaining in Joe's second season, the future QB is nowhere to be seen. Maybe he's not on the team, but I don't see much in recruiting that's promising. Maybe he is on the team, but not on the field to start the season, or yet.I don't know. It's concerning. 

John Wolford is a good example because his first season was Clawson's first season. However, Charlie Frye could also be a good example. Lee Owens decided to live or die with Frye. He only won four games in each of his first two seasons while taking a beating.  In fact, his winning percentage went down in his second season when college football went to 12 games. His last two seasons the Zips had winning records. 

In every organization, people have to solve problems. If a manager has 5 direct reports, each of those five people have five problems to solve totaling 25 problems. The manager can't take his five problems and add the other 25 problems of his employees for a total of 30 problems. Smaller problems have to be solved down the trough.

As far as I can tell, one of Joe's five problems during last off season was to find the future QB to be put on the field this season, and I respectfully submit he failed at that. I don't think he should be fired, but he needs to get this problem off his desk. Clearing problems is extremely important for organizations. 

They have the guy imo, at least for the remainder of the season. Who knows after that.
Go do some homework on Wasel. He’s inexperienced at this level, but has every tool needed. A true dual threat. He followed Moorhead here. Why it appears he hasn’t been a thought to this point…no clue. Nowhere to be found on the depth chart.   Undercuffler has done an adequate job to this point given the situation imo, his immobility in this offense is just a killer. He’s a big, tough guy and at least moves the ball and gives us a chance. 

Great analogies.  Trying to stay positive and there has been some glimpses for excitement this season, just still so many concerns. Just seeing some young guys getting game experience would give me reason for hope next season. Love seeing Norton out there. That type of player gives you hope. Need more of it. Got to get these young guys with upside experience sooner rather than later….even at the OL. We may even suffer for it for a minute, but couldn’t be a lot worse and then we’re so much closer at the start of next season. Can’t depend on the portal given our current record and history etc… and so many of those guys didn’t pan out at the bigger schools for a reason. We did get a steal with Lingard and I’ve enjoyed seeing him get more opportunities! You just don’t always get so lucky.  

33 minutes ago, Zipsfan10 said:

They have the guy imo, at least for the remainder of the season. Who knows after that.
Go do some homework on Wasel. He’s inexperienced at this level, but has every tool needed. A true dual threat. He followed Moorhead here. Why it appears he hasn’t been a thought to this point…no clue. Nowhere to be found on the depth chart.   Undercuffler has done an adequate job to this point given the situation imo, his immobility in this offense is just a killer. He’s a big, tough guy and at least moves the ball and gives us a chance. 

Great analogies.  Trying to stay positive and there has been some glimpses for excitement this season, just still so many concerns. Just seeing some young guys getting game experience would give me reason for hope next season. Love seeing Norton out there. That type of player gives you hope. Need more of it. Got to get these young guys with upside experience sooner rather than later….even at the OL. We may even suffer for it for a minute, but couldn’t be a lot worse and then we’re so much closer at the start of next season. Can’t depend on the portal given our current record and history etc… and so many of those guys didn’t pan out at the bigger schools for a reason. We did get a steal with Lingard and I’ve enjoyed seeing him get more opportunities! You just don’t always get so lucky.  

2 hours ago, taylormade28 said:

Doubt he goes anywhere. Moorhead’s name will be linked to an OC job every year. If he desires to be a P5 HC again, winning at Akron would be his best shot. Even if he doesn’t turn it around here (which I believe he will) he’ll still be a coveted OC at a number of places.

On 11/10/2023 at 3:01 PM, GP1 said:

I have a major concern. Better play calling wouldn't have resulted in more wins. Maybe less fan agony, but not more wins. My concern is, with less than a handful of games remaining in Joe's second season, the future QB is nowhere to be seen. Maybe he's not on the team, but I don't see much in recruiting that's promising. Maybe he is on the team, but not on the field to start the season, or yet.I don't know. It's concerning. 

John Wolford is a good example because his first season was Clawson's first season. However, Charlie Frye could also be a good example. Lee Owens decided to live or die with Frye. He only won four games in each of his first two seasons while taking a beating.  In fact, his winning percentage went down in his second season when college football went to 12 games. His last two seasons the Zips had winning records. 

In every organization, people have to solve problems. If a manager has 5 direct reports, each of those five people have five problems to solve totaling 25 problems. The manager can't take his five problems and add the other 25 problems of his employees for a total of 30 problems. Smaller problems have to be solved down the trough.

As far as I can tell, one of Joe's five problems during last off season was to find the future QB to be put on the field this season, and I respectfully submit he failed at that. I don't think he should be fired, but he needs to get this problem off his desk. Clearing problems is extremely important for organizations. 

Didn't Charlie play because of an injury to a starter? Please refresh my memory. Still  have to wonder if game planning/play calling had been adjusted in some games a couple of results might have been different. In any event, if Moorehead's preferred QB is not on the roster now will he be starting over next season with a QB who hasn't played in the system?

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Didn't Charlie play because of an injury to a starter? Please refresh my memory. Still  have to wonder if game planning/play calling had been adjusted in some games a couple of results might have been different. In any event, if Moorehead's preferred QB is not on the roster now will he be starting over next season with a QB who hasn't played in the system?

Yes. He did get to start because of that, but the injured QB came back as a WR because Owens put all his chips in on Frye. 

I don't think play calling would have changed anything. I do know more accurate passing against Temple would have resulted in at least one more TD. I do know an easily made FG that was missed against Indiana is made, the Zips have another win. Player performance at critical moments was terrible. Players win games and players didn't come through. 

The next QB will be interesting. I'm guessing he will come from the same system somewhere else. 

19 hours ago, GP1 said:

I'm not sure Franklin isn't on thin ice. They are loaded with talent and not doing enough with it. If not now, when?

This would be the exact reason to not go there. You could be looking for another job after a year. 

The QB you all are thinking of that got hurt and Frye came in and took the job was Nick Sparks. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Section210Zip said:

This would be the exact reason to not go there. You could be looking for another job after a year. 

The QB you all are thinking of that got hurt and Frye came in and took the job was Nick Sparks. 

The dreaded turf toe brought down Nick Sparks.