Spring Ball 2024

On 4/11/2024 at 2:09 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

I've heard from multiple people that Ben Finley is looking very good. My goal is to attend the Saturday morning practice. If it works out I'll take some notes and pictures.

Were you able to attend Captain?

On 4/7/2024 at 3:39 PM, catdaddyp said:

Here’s what I’ve gathered from our MAC opponents during the spring. So much will change in the coming months due to portal activity, so take it for what’s it’s worth.

BGSU:

Redshirt freshman Lucian Anderson (2023 HS signee) is taking most of the first team reps at quarterback due to last year’s starters being sidelined with injuries during the spring. Senior safety Trent Sims (2020 HS signee) has been moved to linebacker. Scot Loeffler expects some of the freshmen running backs to see significant playing time this year.

BUFFALO:

Bulls will be playing a spread offense and attempt to move quickly. No mention of who leads at quarterback, but there have been several clips of redshirt junior Gunnar Gray (2023 JUCO).

EMU:

Junior defensive end Jeff Adam (2024 transfer from Iowa State), junior safety Bryce Llewellyn (2024 transfer from Charleston Southern), junior defensive back Dramarion McNulty (2024 JUCO) are new comers that have been singled out for leading and making plays. On offense, this is supposedly EMU’s most talented QB room since Chris Creighton’s arrival.

KENT:

Junior Tommy Ulatowski (2022 HS signee) and redshirt freshman JD Sherrod (2024 transfer from Troy) are competing for the starting quarterback job. Kenni Burns believes the offensive and defensive lines will be the strength of the team in 2024. 5 true freshmen played on the OL at different points during the 2023 season and all 5 return.

NIU:

The quarterback competition is currently between redshirt junior Ethan Hampton (2021 HS signee) and redshirt junior Jalen Macon (2024 transfer from Arkansas PB).

OHIO:

Defensive leaders are junior safety Adonis Williams (2022 transfer from Navy), redshirt junior defensive end Bradley Weaver (2021 HS signee), and redshirt junior MIKE linebacker Shay Taylor (2021 HS signee).

TOLEDO:

Mostly just pictures and a few clips. Hard to tell much of anything.

Kent State’s best player on defense entered the portal. CJ West - 2023 3rd Team All-MAC. That’s a blow.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 10:39 PM, MangoZip said:

I guess this is the most press we’ll be seeing from spring practices 

IMG_6991.jpeg

"DoOrDoNot" Nothing like using a movie quote for motivation for players born 16 years after the movie came out. 

"Who's Yoda?"

15 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

FYI, this Saturday will not be a game in the traditional spring variety. It will be a controlled practice. There will be no type of scores kept. No blue team vs gold team. 

Thanks for the update. That’s really disappointing to hear. Spring games are steadily dissolving across college football. 

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

FYI, this Saturday will not be a game in the traditional spring variety. It will be a controlled practice. There will be no type of scores kept. No blue team vs gold team. 

Sounds like the crap Arth did. Lame. Give the fans something to be excited about.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Why would you say that is? Prior to Arth I would look forward to it every year.

I think the portal is playing a big part in temporarily depleting rosters. Add in the normal amount of injuries (teams are more cautious during the spring) and bodies become a problem. Especially along the OL and DL.

I watched one P5 SG this past weekend and they only had 7 to 8 healthy OL on either team, including walk-ons. They also shortened the 2nd half and ran the clock at times.

I’m not sure which (if any) MAC schools are doing true spring games this year. Maybe Buffalo? 

25 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

I think the portal is playing a big part in temporarily depleting rosters. Add in the normal amount of injuries (teams are more cautious during the spring) and bodies become a problem. Especially along the OL and DL.

I watched one P5 SG this past weekend and they only had 7 to 8 healthy OL on either team, including walk-ons. They also shortened the 2nd half and ran the clock at times.

I’m not sure which (if any) MAC schools are doing true spring games this year. Maybe Buffalo? 

Just posted on X

• Like 1

I watched Iowa State last weekend, and it was like any scrimmage I' ve been a part of except the D wore white and occupied one sideline with the O in black on the other.  I actually think this was better than a game.  Nobody was stuck on their own 2 yard line.  It was quick to see what the 2's and 3's could do in the same place on the field.  The QB's wore green--no hitting them.  I do hope you have a bit more pleasant weather!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taylormade28 said:

thats not the football i'll pay for a flight and room and rental car to come to, you might have liked it because you stay close by but i don't!

I guarantee you will leave the event satisfied that you got to see #12 knock a few heads and play some ball. 

It will be worth your trip. 

8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I guarantee you will leave the event satisfied that you got to see #12 knock a few heads and play some ball. 

It will be worth your trip. 

Im from Miami I think we like 2 different types of football, plus he's dealing with his quad that makes it even worst

20 minutes ago, taylormade28 said:

he was held out the last 2 practices because of it but he said coach was trying to have him ready for Saturday

He'll be glad to see you there supporting him regardless. You sound like a good father. He's a lucky kid (he'll realize that in his mid-40's 😂)