UMass and Other MAC Football & Athletic Budgets vs. the Zips

18 minutes ago, UA1996MAENG said:

I agree that the Polsky building and Quaker Square should be sold.  However, the problem with that type of sale is how difficult it is to unload a building or complex of that type in a small city. As my dad would have said, "Who the hell would want it? Imagine the heating bills!" I'm suprised that the Akron Public Schools could not utilize it for one of its high schools. However, APS is already looking to end its lease on the Central Hower HS building - yet another large propertyy that UA simply does not need.

For Polsky, the only thing that would make sense is converting it to office space and then sectioning it of so that it could have multiple tenants. Obviously Akron isn't in the real estate business so it's only something they could do if a developer showed interest.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

is there anything at Quaker now?

Quaker was made quarantine housing for the 2020-21 school year. Then it was used only as storage for a couple different departments. And as of last year UA told those departments to get everything out that was stored there. So now it is supposed to be completely empty

9 hours ago, UA1996MAENG said:

I agree that the Polsky building and Quaker Square should be sold.  However, the problem with that type of sale is how difficult it is to unload a building or complex of that type in a small city. As my dad would have said, "Who the hell would want it? Imagine the heating bills!" I'm suprised that the Akron Public Schools could not utilize it for one of its high schools. However, APS is already looking to end its lease on the Central Hower HS building - yet another large propertyy that UA simply does not need.

Not going to happen! at least not the Polsky complex. Polsky is receiving a $45 million renovation starting next year.  State funds and John S Knight foundation grants paying for it.  It would be nice if they gave some of that money to a JAR renovation but it didnt happen

14 minutes ago, ClevelandZip said:

They are trying to sell Quaker. Not sure who would want it, though.

Not in it's current state. Unused real estate is expensive to maintain because there is no revenue stream. If the University doesn't have plans to use it, sell it for anything they can get and move it off the books. Let someone else tear it down and develop it. 

Quaker was an investment without a plan. Complete waste of money. Example of the mania of Proenza's later years.  Another was overspending on InfoCision.  The Big 10 caliber tower could have been built for $20M less and still more than served its function.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BlueGold Zip said:

Not going to happen! at least not the Polsky complex. Polsky is receiving a $45 million renovation starting next year.  State funds and John S Knight foundation grants paying for it.  It would be nice if they gave some of that money to a JAR renovation but it didnt happen

After this 45 million dollar renovation, what will Polsky be used for? When I was on campus 93-96, I only had a vague notion of what was there.  Personally, I only entered Polsky twice to meet with the international exchange program coordinator.