2024 Post Mortem and Looking Ahead to 2025.

16 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

The results of this Day of Giving are skewed. No contributions to any sports NIL collective are counted. No membership in the Summit Group ($25,000 committed over five years) are counted. The results are not a dire as would be surmised on first inspection. Would we like to see more from the general public? Absolutely yes! But things need to be taken in perspective. 

Likely most of the continuing donors don't wait until the day of giving to "give."  they give throughout the year or maybe in a big chunk at end of year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, monrowe said:

Yes the strength and conditioning director left U of A for a position at Wadsworth high school.

He did his best work with the soccer team.In MAC basketball he was serviceable. I attended the NCAA basketball tournament in Pittsburgh the other schools were way more physically developed than Akron.So donations are needed.

Not one Zip is out of shape.  under 15% body fat.  And I don't think Campbell has been working with the basketball team for last few years.

• Like 1

Mr.Campbell, oversees all aspects of the strength and conditioning program servicing all 17 intercollegiate sports while working directly with the men’s soccer and men’s basketball programs.  He also manages three athletics’ weight rooms.

Also the  NCAA tests for steroids, peptide hormones and masking agents year-round and also tests for stimulants and recreational drugs during championships.

11 minutes ago, monrowe said:

Mr.Campbell, oversees all aspects of the strength and conditioning program servicing all 17 intercollegiate sports while working directly with the men’s soccer and men’s basketball programs.  He also manages three athletics’ weight rooms.

Also the  NCAA tests for steroids, peptide hormones and masking agents year-round and also tests for stimulants and recreational drugs during championships.

you may want to email Coach Groce and ask him why the Zips aren't more developed.

Other than a kid coming off of an injury like Nate was late in the season, I don't see any Akron kids looking winded or struggling with their hands on their knees.  Watch a Zips practice and you'll see Groce working their ***es off.  They're not less muscular or physical than their MAC counterparts.  Their rebounding and defensive stats are evidence of this.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Other than a kid coming off of an injury like Nate was late in the season, I don't see any Akron kids looking winded or struggling with their hands on their knees.  Watch a Zips practice and you'll see Groce working their ***es off.  They're not less muscular or physical than their MAC counterparts.  Their rebounding and defensive stats are evidence of this.  

I agree, but tell me more about watching a Zips practice. Do I need to be a member of the Summit Group?

7 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I agree, but tell me more about watching a Zips practice. Do I need to be a member of the Summit Group?

No, they've had some open pre-season events in recent years.   Also, we see clips through the Zips sites.  The last one was right before they left for their pre-season play.  They had a breakfast for fans, followed by a practice then a send off.  

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

No, they've had some open pre-season events in recent years.   Also, we see clips through the Zips sites.  The last one was right before they left for their pre-season play.  They had a breakfast for fans, followed by a practice then a send off.  

Thanks. I like that idea. I will have to pay more attention for those events.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Yes. But not against Creighton they were overwhelmed.

24 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Because Creighton shot an ungodly 60% from 3. Had nothing to do with strength & conditioning. 

Not a strength and conditioning issue, but I also don't think we had much of an answer for Kalkbrenner. It's easy to see why he won Big East DPOY. He only was credited with 3 blocks, but he disrupted every shot within 5 feet of the basket.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

Here's a little secret.  P6 body types are usually going to be a little bigger that MAC body types.  The LCJs and Alis of the world don't get pursued by the P6 programs out of high school.  They look for top skills and body types.

I'm sure Creighton's torrid shooting had everything to do with the weight room at Creighton.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Here's a little secret.  P6 body types are usually going to be a little bigger that MAC body types.  The LCJs and Alis of the world don't get pursued by the P6 programs out of high school.  They look for top skills and body types.

I'm sure Creighton's torrid shooting had everything to do with the weight room at Creighton.

Ali had more to do with how raw he was as a player. A 6'8 wing is big even by P6 standards.

I do think you will see more and more of those big sized developmental players trickle down to the mid-majors. It doesn't make sense for an Iowa State or Northwestern to take a flyer on developing a player for 2-3 years when they can just go buy a proven contributor from Kent, Akron, Toledo, etc. The MAC is the AAA farm system now. We both develop the players and now take the guys who are being sent back down.

20 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Because Creighton shot an ungodly 60% from 3. Had nothing to do with strength & conditioning. 

Creighton also killed Akron on the boards and boxing out and setting screens.There’s little nuances that expose weaknesses and strengths.

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Maishe Dailey didn’t get the memo.

25 minutes ago, monrowe said:

Creighton also killed Akron on the boards and boxing out and setting screens.There’s little nuances that expose weaknesses and strengths.

Having the 7'1" Big East Defensive POTY is certainly going to help give you an advantage on the boards. Strength & conditioning had nothing to do with Kalkbrenner's height. Want to know what helps more? Defensive rebounding opportunities. Akron had 9 offensive rebounds to Creighton's 5. Akron had 17 defensive rebounds to Creighton's 33. When Creighton doesn't miss, there are going to be fewer opportunities. When we miss a ton, Creighton is gonna have more opportunities. 

The only thing exposed that game was us sucking eggs shooting wise, and Creighton had an all-time shooting game. Had Creighton shot a solid 40% from 3 (above national average), Akron would've had a good chance at winning that game. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

To the people on here complaining about the amount of money raised by MBB on the day of giving, I will say the following. You can be part of the problem or you can be part of the solution. Every donation, no matter how big or small will help further the program. Put your money where your mouth is.

• Like 5