2024 Off-Season CBB Tracker & Discussion

21 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

How long do you give WV fans to locate this forum and give us grief?

18 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

They aren't smart enough to find it, even if they had internet access 

A few WVU fans on Twitter are interested in coming to Akron games next year. They love that these 3 are teaming back up at Akron along with Sharron Young. 

I definitely feel better about the team with these additions. Our front court should be as good as any in the MAC.

I'm still a bit concerned on whether we'll have enough offense. Okonkwo, from what I've seen, doesn't seem like a player you can run your offense through. Both Wilson and Harris have struggled to be efficient scorers. We're going to need to see improvement from everyone on that end of the floor as I'm just not sure we have that guy who can put the offense on his back.

Edited by kreed5120

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I definitely feel better about the team with these additions. Our front court should be as good as any in the MAC.

I'm still a bit concerned on whether we'll have enough offense. Okonkwo, from what I've seen, doesn't seem like a player you can run your offense through. Both Wilson and Harris have struggled to be efficient scorers. We're going to need to see improvement from everyone on that end of the floor as I'm just not sure we have that guy who can put the offense on his back.

I don't know if this is true. Lack of opportunity for whatever reason, but Harris shot 42% from 3 in conference play (50% overall from the field) and Wilson is a 35%+ 3P shooter. 

These guys aren't facing Big 12 competition on a regular basis anymore, and Groce has a proven track record of getting guys into positions to succeed. It might be a slower start due to chemistry issues, but come March I think we'll be one of the strongest Zips teams Groce has had yet. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't know if this is true. Lack of opportunity for whatever reason, but Harris shot 42% from 3 in conference play (50% overall from the field) and Wilson is a 35%+ 3P shooter. 

These guys aren't facing Big 12 competition on a regular basis anymore, and Groce has a proven track record of getting guys into positions to succeed. It might be a slower start due to chemistry issues, but come March I think we'll be one of the strongest Zips teams Groce has had yet. 

I wasn't looking at the volume numbers. I do see now that you mention it Harris had a pretty miserable start to the year, which explains why on paper his numbers look as bad as they do. It's nice to see he improved as the year went on. Hopefully he can continue to build on that at Akron.

Wilson's sophomore season he put up some great shooting numbers. I'd be pleased getting that Wilson. His freshman and junior year he struggled quite a bit, particularly inside the 3-point arc. I'm not sure if he's just not good at finishing at the rim or what. Either way I expect Groce with use him as the proverbial 3&D guy. 

• Like 1

I attempted to predict my "way too early" top 2 at each position, but kept going back and forth so I gave up. Of the newcomers, I'm probably most excited for Okonkwo and Harris. Wilson fills a need in a 3 point shooter that we didn't have consistently last year, but Okonkwo had enough production at WVU to transfer up to UNC. Then he played against Bacot every single practice. Much like Enrique, his back up wasn't going to play much. Seems reasonable to expect a strong senior season out of him. Harris played A LOT this year for WVU, and basically all of his stats trended upwards from the prior season. He still seems to be on an upward trajectory and we could have a heck of a 2 years from him.

I also think we're versatile. A number of guys who can play multiple positions. Curious who the one or two guys to step up will be (and any championship team needs that), but I think it'll happen, I'm drinking the kool aid!

• Like 1

It's crazy, but I'm already excited for the 24/25 basketball season to start and we just finished the current season! I feel really good about our recent portal signings as well as our high school recruiting class, especially Sharron Young. I agree with @Let'sGoZips94 that Brisco and Mahafey should/will be redshirted.

• Like 3

Transfer Portal just had another wave of  solid players get added in the last 24 hours. Tyrese Hunter from Texas, a few Duke players, Aiden Mahaney from Saint Mary's, a few Bama players, and a few Illinois players. 

I believe the Portal closes at the end of the month. I wonder if we'll see any additions into the Portal from the Zips with the new additions. 

3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Transfer Portal just had another wave of  solid players get added in the last 24 hours. Tyrese Hunter from Texas, a few Duke players, Aiden Mahaney from Saint Mary's, a few Bama players, and a few Illinois players. 

I believe the Portal closes at the end of the month. I wonder if we'll see any additions into the Portal from the Zips with the new additions. 

Do we even have any available scholarships left?

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Do we even have any available scholarships left?

No, but that's why I said I wonder if we'll see anymore additions to the Portal from the Zips. Someone on the roster might see writing on the wall that their path to playing time is being blocked. 

I was talking to my buddy yesterday about who will be the big shot taker on this team. It tends to be a guard since they handle rock come crunch time. I think the top 3 candidates right now in April are: Seth Wilson, Nate Johnson, Josiah Harris.  2 years ago it was Castaneda. this past year it was Ali Ali. Am I Crazy it might be Sharron Young, he seems to have big shot Maker DNA based on Highschool career. I think this is Vital to any successful basketball team, and I am excited to see who steps up. could make or break if we don't have a crunch time scorer. 

14 minutes ago, ZipsFan31 said:

I was talking to my buddy yesterday about who will be the big shot taker on this team. It tends to be a guard since they handle rock come crunch time. I think the top 3 candidates right now in April are: Seth Wilson, Nate Johnson, Josiah Harris.  2 years ago it was Castaneda. this past year it was Ali Ali. Am I Crazy it might be Sharron Young, he seems to have big shot Maker DNA based on Highschool career. I think this is Vital to any successful basketball team, and I am excited to see who steps up. could make or break if we don't have a crunch time scorer. 

I haven't actually seen any real film of these players. Highlight reels don't count as those only show the good. Harris probably has the highest ceiling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I haven't actually seen any real film of these players. Highlight reels don't count as those only show the good. Harris probably has the highest ceiling. 

We are on the same page. I have been watching West Virginia games on Draftmatic. I will post a couple of games later. All three typically come in off the bench 5 minutes into the game. Although Harris has started.

----------------------

The Big 12 Tourney 2 seasons ago. The last game James Okonkwo (32) played for West Virginia. First half he is in from (15:18-9:16) and (5:21-End of half). Second half (11:00-2:49) and (1:13-End of game).

Seth Wilson (14) plays in the second half from (17:53-8:25) and (5:01-End of game).

No Josiah Harris.

--------------------------

The Big 12 Tourney this past year. The last game Harris (22) and Wilson (14) played for West Virginia. You might recognize #55 for Cincinnati.

First half Josiah Harris is in from (15:24-11:53) and (6:00-1:45). Second half (14:36-9:24) and (9:21-2:46).

First half Seth Wilson is in from (15:24-9:58) and (1:32-End of half). Second half (14:36-9:21).

No James Okonkwo.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

We are on the same page. I have been watching West Virginia games on Draftmatic. I will post a couple of games later. All three typically come in off the bench 5 minutes into the game. Although Harris has started. 

I think Harris is he plum in this bunch ... he should be able to play any baseline position on the MAC level and be pretty strong at any of them. Not many MAC teams will have a player with that versatility. He should be a consistent 15-20ppg scorer in my mind and that is huge.

If you want a good laugh, think about this. Kowalchoke has had the following players in recent years...

- RayJ Dennis (Baylor starting PG now)

- Dante Maddox Jr (about to be a P6 player)

- Ra'Heim Moss (I believe he is also going P6)

- Tyler Cochran (consistent All MAC player)

Now think about all of Toledo's success in March. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

If you want a good laugh, think about this. Kowalchoke has had the following players in recent years...

- RayJ Dennis (Baylor starting PG now)

- Dante Maddox Jr (about to be a P6 player)

- Ra'Heim Moss (I believe he is also going P6)

- Tyler Cochran (consistent All MAC player)

Now think about all of Toledo's success in March. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maddox Jr headed to Xavier. 

Balls lands the water boy from Kentucky as theirs has hit the Portal. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94