Game 2—Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lions

LZIp

Time to put the curb-stomping of week 1 behind us. Luckily for us, we should be on the oppposite end of the beat down this week as Arkansas Pine Bluff is coming to town. Woody didn't look good (not that our receivers provided much help either), but he should get a chance to redeem himself as it could have easily been rust instead of "losing it" or still not being fully recovered. I have some trouble believing the coaching staff would have put them out there if he isn't back to 100%.  Kato I thought looked solid. He could definitely be the future...or even present. Feels like the situation a few years ago when Chapman was the starter at the beginning of the season but proved to be ineffective, and then Woody seized the opportunity vs whatever FCS team we were playing and never looked back.

Like last game, I don't expect to take much away from this game as it should be a beat down and they should not be near our talent level. We can evaluate whether Woody shows any improvement, which there is no excuse not to against this team. Rust isn't an excuse anymore. I'd expect we get to see some more of Kato as well.

I haven't read any post game stuff, but it *seems* we should be mostly healthy going into this week as the only injury I recall on the field was #59. Any update on that @Zipmlady? I know Chapman got smacked, but I don't figure that would keep him out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Speaking of which, is it counterproductive to get paid by PSU only to turn around and pay UAPB?

Yes.  If your state of affairs makes it necessary to whore yourself out for a paycheck to make ends meet, it would stand to reason that you can't afford to pay for an opponent to come to your place. 

Now, it makes sense for a power school to pay out for another home game when they can fill a large stadium.  It is spending money to make money.

It makes no sense for Akron to pay out for a home game because they can put 9100 fans in the seats.  It is spending money to lose money.

Edited by K92
fixing my spelling errors because Balsy and I are having a spelling contest and he didn't catch this one before I corrected it.
  • Like 2

K92...That's a good point. 

Here's my question.  Wouldn't it cost us roughly the same amount to get any D-1AA team in here for a non-conference game?  If so, there's no real way out of this money-losing arrangement for us.  But if we can get other schools cheaper, we should take it.  The impact of our home attendance isn't going to be any better if the opponent is UAPB, or the worst D-IAA.

3 hours ago, K92 said:

Don't schedule a FCS team.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.  But if every other program in the lower part of D-1A is doing it to notch an easy win on their schedule, aren't we hurting ourselves if we don't do the same?

The prospect of starting most seasons with an 0-3 record would be a tough hole to climb out of.   If it weren't for that, I'd surely want to see a higher level competitor fill that spot.  

13 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I wouldn't have a problem with that.  But if every other program in the lower part of D-1A is doing it to notch an easy win on their schedule, aren't we hurting ourselves if we don't do the same?

The prospect of starting most seasons with an 0-3 record would be a tough hole to climb out of.   If it weren't for that, I'd surely want to see a higher level competitor fill that spot.  

Not sure where you're getting 0-3 from. If you play 2 P5 schools, bank a couple million, then play a mid major, you should be 1-2. If you lose and you're 0-3, well, then you made a couple million at least. 

And no, I don't think we would be hurting ourselves to schedule an extra P5 pay game. In fact, I think we'd be helping ourselves in recruiting. Who would kids rather play: UAPB or a P5 school? I would hope the kids you are recruiting would like the chance to knock off Goliath as a David. Law of averages says if you play P5 teams enough, eventually you'll win one. 

And I have no problem whoring ourselves out to remain fiscally capable of having a D1 football program. 

Edited by lilroodude