Game 8—Central Michigan Chippewas

Dr Z

Akron and Central Michigan on Oct. 27, will kick off at Noon at InfoCision Stadium on ESPN3.

The game is designated as the Hometown Heroes recognition game. Any military member or first responder, which includes police, firefighters, and paramedics, will get a FREE ticket with a work I.D.  The Zips will also host Trunk-or-Treat in the tailgate lots prior to the game for young children.

CMU has a deceiving 1-7 record. Their score against Buffalo was better than Akron's, they played NIU close, and they have a 1 point loss to Ball State. For some reason Central Michigan always gives the Zips trouble. I expect a 6 point spread in the favor of Akron, with an error margin of +-7.   

6 hours ago, UA1987 said:

CMU has a deceiving 1-7 record. Their score against Buffalo was better than Akron's, they played NIU close, and they have a 1 point loss to Ball State. For some reason Central Michigan always gives the Zips trouble. I expect a 6 point spread in the favor of Akron, with an error margin of +-7.   

We narrowly escaped a 1-7 Kent State team. I'd certainly hope we wouldn't take any game for granted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/22/2018 at 9:08 AM, UA1987 said:

To be fair, Akron has trouble with everyone that is in the FBS. 

CMU loves to run the ball. Despite playing from behind nearly every game, their run and pass yardage per game are about even. Defensively, they allow over 200 yards per game on the ground.

If you're looking for a game where our RBs can get something going, it doesn't get any better than this (at least until we play Bowling Green).

Edited by ZachTheZip

1 hour ago, ZachTheZip said:

Defensively, they allow over 200 yards per game on the ground. If you're looking for a game where our RBs can get something going, it doesn't get any better than this (at least until we play Bowling Green).

Kent was 115th in the nation allowing 205 yards a game on the ground before they played the Zips. Our running backs amassed 52 yards on 21 carries (2.48 yds avg) in that game.

While I hope this is ground-game breakthrough week, I'm not banking on it. If the offensive plan, and blocking is the same, I expect the same result. If you could find a stat for just total running back yards per team this year, it would shock me if we weren't in the bottom three in the country. Six running backs have carried the ball 106 times for 390 yards this year (3.68 yds avg). At this rate, our entire running backs group won't get to a thousand yards for the season. At the beginning of the year coach Bowden talked about how important the running game would be this year. Thus far, it has to be a major disappointment for he and the staff. The running game will become even more important with the weather becoming colder throughout the MAC. November games count the most, time to pound the ground!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Hoping to get Brian Bell back this week. He is one of the keys to our defense.

• Seniors have never lost to Kent

• Had a good practice today

• Kato had rubber beads from the turf in his eyes multiple times from sliding. 

• Keyondre White is the number one young guy because he was here in December and got tons of snaps.

• We are not running well enough, no explosive plays. We have to continue to work on it. We are close, but not close enough. 

• Spoke of the 12th game still being a possibility, but says he has no idea about specifics. 

41 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Kent was 115th in the nation allowing 205 yards a game on the ground before they played the Zips. Our running backs amassed 52 yards on 21 carries (2.48 yds avg) in that game.

While I hope this is ground-game breakthrough week, I'm not banking on it. If the offensive plan, and blocking is the same, I expect the same result. If you could find a stat for just total running back yards per team this year, it would shock me if we weren't in the bottom three in the country. Six running backs have carried the ball 106 times for 390 yards this year (3.68 yds avg). At this rate, our entire running backs group won't get to a thousand yards for the season. At the beginning of the year coach Bowden talked about how important the running game would be this year. Thus far, it has to be a major disappointment for he and the staff. The running game will become even more important with the weather becoming colder throughout the MAC. November games count the most, time to pound the ground!

That's depressing

52 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

One has to think a lot of that blame has to go on the offensive line as well. The Zips are also sacked on 7.19% of all drop backs, which ranks them 79th in country. 

• Sad 1

ABJ (GT): Kato Nelson's development continues against Kent State

I did appreciate the moxie Kato demonstrated at the end of the game & overtime.  He definitely wants the ball in his hands in crunch time.

He hit on 54% of his throws.  Considering the weather Bowden was good with that.  Otherwise he'd like to see 60%.

On 10/24/2018 at 7:52 PM, zipsoutsider said:

Regarding this and rushing, how much cam be attributed to KN1 hanging on the ball too long trying to make a play?

Watched some of the Toledo/WMU game last night. Don't know how it ended. Couple of things struck me. There seemed to be a noticeable difference' a higher level, in the offensive line play in this game than what we see from the Zips. And,WMU was playing with its back up QB and was still very competitive against one of the best teams in the MAC,at least in the first half. And,didn't Guadani go to Hudson High school? Did Akron recruit him?

• Like 1

ABJ (GT): Zips quarterback Kato Nelson holds keys to victory over Central Michigan

“I was just impressed with his ability to make plays with the ball in his hands as a runner and also really work through his progression,” Bonamego said of Nelson, a sturdy 6-foot-1 and 215-pounder. “He’s not a stare-down quarterback. ... He has a really strong arm and he can fit the ball through some tight windows.” -CMU head coach John Bonamego.

Edited by Blue & Gold