2019-20 Men's Basketball Schedule

ZZZips

35 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

What am I missing here? U Mass is something special?

Recognizable name from a solid conference, something we don't often get at the JAR. They've sucked in recent years, but they still hold more water with the common fan than North Carolina Alphabet Soup. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Recognizable name from a solid conference, something we don't often get at the JAR. They've sucked in recent years, but they still hold more water with the common fan than North Carolina Alphabet Soup. 

Oh, I get it.  We don't get North Carolina or Kentucky but we get Massachusetts.  Getting a school without a hyphen named solely after a state is the accomplishment.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

They might be a recognizable brand if you're in your mid 30s+, but to the average college age student they're just another team that doesn't move the needle whatsoever. They've made the tournament only 1x this century.

I mean, we bring SO MANY college age students in anyways......

• Like 1

It's always nice to welcome non-MAC teams into the JAR. Especially if their conference is as big or bigger than ours. Yeah, UMass may be bottom feeders in the A10, however, they're still members of a conference whom usually has two or three teams present in the big dance.

They also have some notable basketball alumni such as Marcus Camby and Jules Erving.

5 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I mean, we bring SO MANY college age students in anyways......

You seem to be just furthering my point. If you can't get students interested now what's the chances of getting them interested once they graduate? The basketball program is going to be in a serious world of hurt 20-30 years from now once us old geesers are gone.

26 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

You seem to be just furthering my point. If you can't get students interested now what's the chances of getting them interested once they graduate? The basketball program is going to be in a serious world of hurt 20-30 years from now once us old geesers are gone.

They must already be in a world of hurt because students made up a small fraction of bb game attendees back in the 70's and the old geezers from that era are pushing up daisies at this point.

11 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

They must already be in a world of hurt because students made up a small fraction of bb game attendees back in the 70's and the old geezers from that era are pushing up daisies at this point.

Considering the athletic program is operating at a $20+ million annual deficit and there is talks of slashing the athletic budget, I'd agree it is already in a world of hurt.

Edited by kreed5120

19 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Considering the athletic program is operating at a $20+ million annual deficit and there is talks of slashing the athletic budget, I'd agree it is already in a world of hurt.

Solely out of curiosity.. How do you purpose we fix the athletic programs (mainly basketball)? As a younger Alum I am worried about the future of Akron athletics. The only solution I can think of would be reducing the price of tickets, as a result, we will be able to get more people in the door and generate more "hype" surrounding the program. I would rather sell 500 $10 tickets than 100 $30-$40 tickets.

34 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Solely out of curiosity.. How do you purpose we fix the athletic programs (mainly basketball)? As a younger Alum I am worried about the future of Akron athletics. The only solution I can think of would be reducing the price of tickets, as a result, we will be able to get more people in the door and generate more "hype" surrounding the program. I would rather sell 500 $10 tickets than 100 $30-$40 tickets.

I paid $60 for a GA season ticket.  It doesn't get cheaper than that.

They do charge too much for single game tickets. A family finds the single game experience too expensive.  I don't get the sense that season reserved seat sales are bad, but many people buy them and don't use them.

My thought on cutting budgets is that they spend way too much money and efforts on sports that regularly are unsuccessful.   They need to prioritize for programs that have been successful and that are less expensive to run, like basketball.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

They do charge too much for single game tickets. A family finds the single game experience too expensive.  I don't get the sense that season reserved seat sales are bad, but many people buy them and don't use them.

My thought on cutting budgets is that they spend way too much money and efforts on sports that regularly are unsuccessful.   They need to prioritize for programs that have been successful and that are less expensive to run, like basketball.

E-Sports *cough cough* 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

College athletics are in trouble in general regarding attendance. The SEC is even having troubles with student attendance. Millennials aren't going to carry the torch once it's officially passed on by the generations before them. Unless Duke, OSUcks, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, or any massive name like that comes to the JAR, you're going to need to use gimmicks and promotions to get them to show up. It is what it is right now. 

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy UMass coming to the JAR. Might even yell something about Calipari. ?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I don't know the real solution. As @clarkwgriswold said season tickets are already insanely cheap. It comes out to like $4 per game for GA admission. I do agree single game tickets should be more like $8-$10 per game instead of $15-$20 at least until demand indicates otherwise.

Even with reduced prices I don't think we'll see attendance improve much. Students can get in for free and they still don't show up. It's all about trying to create that fun atmosphere to make going to the game on a Tuesday night "the cool thing to do". I for one would like to see better promotions. Maybe have a dollar dog night or buy 1 get 1 ticket night. I was watching an EMU game on ESPN+ and they had craft beer night where you paid $x-number for a ticket, got x-number of drink tickets, and a GoT themed stein that read "House Eagle". Of course doing a promotion like that would require the JAR opening up beer sales.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't know the real solution. As @clarkwgriswold said season tickets are already insanely cheap. It comes out to like $4 per game for GA admission. I do agree single game tickets should be more like $8-$10 per game instead of $15-$20 at least until demand indicates otherwise.

Even with reduced prices I don't think we'll see attendance improve much. Students can get in for free and they still don't show up. It's all about trying to create that fun atmosphere to make going to the game on a Tuesday night "the cool thing to do". I for one would like to see better promotions. Maybe have a dollar dog night or buy 1 get 1 ticket night. I was watching an EMU game on ESPN+ and they had craft beer night where you paid $x-number for a ticket, got x-number of drink tickets, and a GoT themed stein that read "House Eagle". Of course doing a promotion like that would require the JAR opening up beer sales.

That is a great idea! College students also love their beer. Haha. If that doesn't get people in the door and generate revenue I don't know what would.

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

At most D1 schools with a football team, men's basketball usually has the second biggest budget of all sports.

9 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

Wow, just when you thought the home offerings couldn't get any worse.  This makes my $60 investment look like a poor one.

Which MAC teams that are not scheduled to come to Akron could we add and which scheduled team should be dropped to make you feel better about your $60 investment?