Assessing Coach Arth (and his staff)

akronzips71

I don't know what your deal is.   You can easily surmise that pretty much everyone who is an Akron fan is upset by this game and can see if for what is it is.  No one on here can fire the coach, the AD or do anything about it.  Yet for some reason you feel the need to grind glass into our hands and then pour salt water on the wounds.  

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I don't know what your deal is.   You can easily surmise that pretty much everyone who is an Akron fan is upset by this game and can see if for what is it is.  No one on here can fire the coach, the AD or do anything about it.  Yet for some reason you feel the need to grind glass into our hands and then pour salt water on the wounds.  

Agreed.  We have four more games of this sh$tshow and Arth is going to coach them.  On the plus side, I like Arth as the person and he doesn't wear his laminated play call sheet inside his pants.

• Like 1

I am expressing my opinion. You are expressing yours.

When a coach calls a long pass on 3rd and 1 and you are still in the game...

When there is a penalty for illegal formation on a punt (I am 70 years old and have been watching football ost of my life. Honestly never saw that before).

When the snap is a shotgun inside the 5 yard line.

When a substantial number of players have left the team and entered the transfer portal.

Well, you have my opinion and I have yours.

12 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Why not fire them both. Both have been colossal disasters. The longer we hold on them, the more our legacy of failure grows.

We didn't have the resources to fire Bowden so we definitely don't have the resources to buy out two more large contracts.

This dumpster fire needs to burn itself out over time. It's the only responsible way to proceed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

We didn't have the resources to fire Bowden so we definitely don't have the resources to buy out two more large contracts.

This dumpster fire needs to burn itself out over time. It's the only responsible way to proceed.

Probably the most sensible post I've read today. Art will be here for awhile. he should use that time to show he is capable of winning a championship. When we get in a better financial boat there needs to be a decision based on results. If Arth has turned it around he can stay, if not cut your losses and find a new coach.

• Like 3

So, do you keep sending good money after bad? I was under the impression from another poster that the South Carolina game paid for Bowden's contract.  Both the AD and the coach are out of their leagues. The longer you let it go, the harder to rebuild the program. Doing nothing tells recruits and players that the U doesn't care about football.

The apathy on the sidelines is as about as bad as it can get. No zeal, no hope, nothing but lifeless players hanging their heads in the first half.

The offensive line is detrimental to the play of anyone lining up at quarterback. The right side needs help. If there is not a capable player to consistently perform, I think we need to lineup a tight end next to right tackle on every snap. A consistent snap to quarterback’s chest would be beneficial to the outcome of each play as well. It’s hard to evaluate others until this unit starts to perform at an average level. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

Probably the most sensible post I've read today. Art will be here for awhile. he should use that time to show he is capable of winning a championship. When we get in a better financial boat there needs to be a decision based on results. If Arth has turned it around he can stay, if not cut your losses and find a new coach.

I hear you @72Roo  However, Arth like RI1.0 may not be capable. As soon as contracts expire, those who squandered $650k+ to create this mess and who continue to make colossal hiring mistakes need to go. UA cannot afford to keep paying for these blunders. Students, who have no choice but to pay for this, and dedicated Akron Football alumni, fans, supporters do not deserve this nor does the university or community as a whole. This failure is a drag on the university and all of its great programs, academic and athletic.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Moving Council to center was a mistake. He is our best lineman and he does not do well snapping the ball. I honestly looked and couldn't see if he was back there yesterday or bot. Put Peterson back at center and get better use out of Council.

I’m almost 100% positive the snap issues are all on Peterson.  He had issues & they switched the two & then Forman got hurt & they moved Council to Tackle & Peterson back to Center & Muldowny to LG, Forman came back this week & everyone back to spots.  Council has a bad ankle & came out & Peterson went to Center & bad snaps again

45 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

I’m almost 100% positive the snap issues are all on Peterson.  He had issues & they switched the two & then Forman got hurt & they moved Council to Tackle & Peterson back to Center & Muldowny to LG, Forman came back this week & everyone back to spots.  Council has a bad ankle & came out & Peterson went to Center & bad snaps again

II think we are seeing what can happen to a football team when there is no QB, no center, no offensive line, and no place kicker.  

I agree we need a punter , a kicker and some O lineman. Every weekend I sit in the stands and see all these lineman sitting doing nothing, I see players in nothing but jerseys. Dont understand why.Its now week 9 unload the bench ,all those boys should be dressed and ready. Play the freshman its not going to get any worse . It will only help for the future.Dr Z is dead on suggesting we line up a TE who can block and an extra back in the backfield. I dont feel we are good enough upfront to run the spread. As far as Arth & Staff, I feel they are good. Remember, they came in just before signing day and really had no chance. Though everyone might disagree, I feel he has the ship going in the right direction. He  is recruiting a different type of player and is making these young men accountable. I know everyone wants instant gratification but be patient. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Though everyone might disagree, I feel he has the ship going in the right direction. He  is recruiting a different type of player and is making these young men accountable. I know everyone wants instant gratification but be patient. 

What could possibly be leading you to this conclusion?  If I had to guess about player suspensions, they are likely NCAA violations, not team imposed. The turnovers and penalties certainly don't seem to reflect accountability, and some of them are reflection of poor coaching, so where is the accountability, there? Thos isn't about instant gratification. He didnt take over the program from Ianello. He took over a respectable program that teams knew they had to prepare to face. He took over a team that had one a B10 game the previous season. How are the players he is recruiting a different kind? 

27 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

What could possibly be leading you to this conclusion?  If I had to guess about player suspensions, they are likely NCAA violations, not team imposed. The turnovers and penalties certainly don't seem to reflect accountability, and some of them are reflection of poor coaching, so where is the accountability, there? Thos isn't about instant gratification. He didnt take over the program from Ianello. He took over a respectable program that teams knew they had to prepare to face. He took over a team that had one a B10 game the previous season. How are the players he is recruiting a different kind? 

I didn't mention NCAA player suspensions. Not sure UA has anyone that falls under that category.One thing I dont understand is you say UA had great personnel a yr ago. Yet this yr they are terrible. A player is a player. Did you ever think that the turnovers, penalties , blown coverages etc are a result of a “ cowboy mentality” by those great players that are not doing what they are coached to do? The “me “ attitude does not set well with this staff.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I didn't mention NCAA player suspensions. Not sure UA has anyone that falls under that category.One thing I dont understand is you say UA had great personnel a yr ago. Yet this yr they are terrible. A player is a player. Did you ever think that the turnovers, penalties , blown coverages etc are a result of a “ cowboy mentality” by those great players that are not doing what they are coached to do? The “me “ attitude does not set well with this staff.

I haven't said that players are terrible, I dont think at all about this team. The team play is terrible and the coaching is terrible.

You obviously have no evidence for what you are saying. You just want to bury your head in the sand. Arth is a disaster.

17 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I haven't said that players are terrible, I dont think at all about this team. The team play is terrible and the coaching is terrible.

You obviously have no evidence for what you are saying. You just want to bury your head in the sand. Arth is a disaster.

I by no means bury my head in the sand. It takes a village not an individual for success. Become part of the village and not the villain whose negativity is trying to tear something down that hasn't even started yet. Give em a chance !

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

But...but...but...it's so much easier (and simple minded) to call for his immediate ouster (over and over and over).

34 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I by no means bury my head in the sand. It takes a village not an individual for success. Become part of the village and not the villain whose negativity is trying to tear something down that hasn't even started yet. Give em a chance !

Lol....this guy gets paid enough for the whole village. It's on him.

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

But...but...but...it's so much easier (and simple minded) to call for his immediate ouster (over and over and over).

OK genius...you be content to wait while the dumpster fire turns into a wildfire too big to extinguish.

Maybe this I intentional. Maybe William's was bought in to make it easier to convince the community at large that 1AA is a better fit. But why stop there. Go D3 so you can compete, locally, and get beat by Youngstown.