Jump to content

2022 NCAA Tournament


Recommended Posts

I am pleasantly surprised that the Zips got a top 16 seed.

The committee looks like they mostly followed......the RPI

2 exceptions in the top 16 seeding....

Indiana was 20 in RPI......they got a 13 seed.

Tulsa was 17 in RPI......they got a 15 seed.

 

If I was the Penn coach, I would be furious....

Penn was 13 in RPI....the seeding committee.....put them in the draw as the #30th ranked team

Penn has to host big Ten champ Rutgers on Thursday

If they win, they  will go on the road to play #3 overall seed Syracuse

   brutal draw for #13 RPI team....

Vermont was just barely ahead of Akron in RPI...at #15

   the committee put Vermont in the draw....as the #22 team

 

other differences in seeding

Syracuse....is #1 in RPI....they got 3 seed

Kentucky is #3 in RPI....they got #1 seed

Stanford was #8 in RPI....they got a 5 seed

Clemson at 5 RPI...got #6 seed

Lipscomb...was 7 in RPI..got a 9 seed

Oregon State at 9 RPI....got a 8 seed

Committee liked FIU...12 in RPI...got a 10 seed

no respect for IVY League...Penn got hosed

Cornell was 10 in RPI...they got a 14 seed 

SMU was 14 in RPI...they got bumped up to an 11 seed

Marco Milanese and his UNC-Greensbor teammeates were 11 in RPI....they got a 12 seed

 

 

As we all know, the Zips have played both Pitt and Cleveland State this year

Alas, the zips had Shooky and Dyson Clapier available when they played each team

The zips led Cleveland State 4-0 at halftime and played their backups for most of the 2nd half..(4-0 win)

The zips played at Pittsburgh and battled to a 3-3 tie.   Most zip fans at that game said that the zips were "homered" by several poor calls by the referees.

Let's hope that Cleveland State plays their best game of the year....and battles Pitt for 90 minutes and 2 overtimes.

Go, Zips !!!!

Edited by TennZip
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TennZip said:

I am shocked that the Zips got a top 16 seed.

The committee looks like they mostly followed......the RPI

2 exceptions in the top 16 seeding....

Indiana was 20 in RPI......they got a 13 seed.

Tulsa was 17 in RPI......they got a 15 seed.

 

If I was the Penn coach, I would be furious....

Penn was 13 in RPI....the seeding committee.....put them in the draw as the #30th ranked team

Penn has to host big Ten champ Rutgers on Thursday

If they win, they  will go on the road to play #3 overall seed Syracuse

   brutal draw for #13 RPI team....

Vermont was just barely ahead of Akron in RPI...at #15

   the committee put Vermont in the draw....as the #22 team

 

other differences in seeding

Syracuse....is #1 in RPI....they got 3 seed

Kentucky is #3 in RPI....they got #1 seed

Stanford was #8 in RPI....they got a 5 seed

Clemson at 5 RPI...got #6 seed

Lipscomb...was 7 in RPI..got a 9 seed

Oregon State at 9 RPI....got a 8 seed

Committee liked FIU...12 in RPI...got a 10 seed

no respect for IVY League...Penn got hosed

Cornell was 10 in RPI...they got a 14 seed 

SMU was 14 in RPI...they got bumped up to an 11 seed

Marco Milanese and his UNC-Greensbor teammeates were 11 in RPI....they got a 12 seed

 

 

As we all know, the Zips have played both Pitt and Cleveland State this year

Alas, the zips had Shooky and Dyson Clapier available when they played each team

The zips led Cleveland State 4-0 at halftime and played their backups for most of the 2nd half..(4-0 win)

The zips played at Pittsburgh and battled to a 3-3 tie.   Most zip fans at that game said that the zips were "homered" by several poor calls by the referees.

Let's hope that Cleveland State plays their best game of the year....and battles Pitt for 90 minutes and 2 overtimes.

Go, Zips !!!!

…and 2 ejections.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m happy my thoughts about not getting a top 16 seed were wrong. It’s gonna be rough without two key players but others will have to step up. 
 

Congratulations and Go Zips!!!

 

 

Edited by Zip_ME87
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I’m happy my thoughts about not getting a top 16 seed we’re wrong. It’s gonna be rough without two key players butt others will have to step up. 
 

Congratulations and Go Zips!!!

Kingsford went off also with an injury against WMU, but he seemed to be okay. He was warming up on the sidelines trying to get back in. Hopefully he can go on Sunday, we'll need him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When it comes to assigning seeds, RPI is only one of the factors used by the committee. Do you really think Vermont and Penn are better than a healthy Zips side? That's the problem with RPI, a lower-ranked team upsets a higher-ranked team due to a red card, injury, suspension, bad call, broken-down bus, etc.... and all of the rankings are impacted. Also, travel is another factor. The committee tries to keep travel to a minimum, especially in the first few rounds. Does Vegas have College Cup odds? That would be interesting to see!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, chris said:

When it comes to assigning seeds, RPI is only one of the factors used by the committee. Do you really think Vermont and Penn are better than a healthy Zips side? That's the problem with RPI, a lower-ranked team upsets a higher-ranked team due to a red card, injury, suspension, bad call, broken-down bus, etc.... and all of the rankings are impacted. Also, travel is another factor. The committee tries to keep travel to a minimum, especially in the first few rounds. Does Vegas have College Cup odds? That would be interesting to see!

Penn defeated 14 seed Cornell during the season.

     Cornell went on the road and defeated Syracuse 

 

   Cornell was 10 in RPI and beat RPI number 1 Syracuse on the road

 

Cornell went 4-2–1 in a pretty tough Ivy League.   Cornell’s only non league loss was to Vermont.  In addition to defeating Cornell, Vermont played Syracuse to a 1-1 tie.   From my perspective, Cornell, Vermont and Penn look pretty strong.

 

   The Ivy League deserved better treatment by the committee.   Dropping Penn from 13 to 30 is awful.

 

 

Edited by TennZip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TennZip said:

Let's hope that Cleveland State plays their best game of the year....and battles Pitt for 90 minutes and 2 overtimes.

Go, Zips !!!!

 

By the way, with the NCAA change to eliminate golden goal this season, if a game goes into overtime, 20 additional minutes must now be played. It is split into two 10 minute periods with 2 minutes break in between as in the past, but the full 20 minutes of OT must be played. 

 

 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TennZip said:

I am pleasantly surprised that the Zips got a top 16 seed.

The committee looks like they mostly followed......the RPI

2 exceptions in the top 16 seeding....

Indiana was 20 in RPI......they got a 13 seed.

Tulsa was 17 in RPI......they got a 15 seed.

 

If I was the Penn coach, I would be furious....

Penn was 13 in RPI....the seeding committee.....put them in the draw as the #30th ranked team

Penn has to host big Ten champ Rutgers on Thursday

If they win, they  will go on the road to play #3 overall seed Syracuse

   brutal draw for #13 RPI team....

Vermont was just barely ahead of Akron in RPI...at #15

   the committee put Vermont in the draw....as the #22 team

 

other differences in seeding

Syracuse....is #1 in RPI....they got 3 seed

Kentucky is #3 in RPI....they got #1 seed

Stanford was #8 in RPI....they got a 5 seed

Clemson at 5 RPI...got #6 seed

Lipscomb...was 7 in RPI..got a 9 seed

Oregon State at 9 RPI....got a 8 seed

Committee liked FIU...12 in RPI...got a 10 seed

no respect for IVY League...Penn got hosed

Cornell was 10 in RPI...they got a 14 seed 

SMU was 14 in RPI...they got bumped up to an 11 seed

Marco Milanese and his UNC-Greensbor teammeates were 11 in RPI....they got a 12 seed

 

 

As we all know, the Zips have played both Pitt and Cleveland State this year

Alas, the zips had Shooky and Dyson Clapier available when they played each team

The zips led Cleveland State 4-0 at halftime and played their backups for most of the 2nd half..(4-0 win)

The zips played at Pittsburgh and battled to a 3-3 tie.   Most zip fans at that game said that the zips were "homered" by several poor calls by the referees.

Let's hope that Cleveland State plays their best game of the year....and battles Pitt for 90 minutes and 2 overtimes.

Go, Zips !!!!

Reputation carries weight with the committee.  What was WMU's RPI?  After their final two games they have to be furious to not get a seed and home match!  And glad they won't be in Akron's league (literally that is) next season!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Reputation carries weight with the committee.  What was WMU's RPI?  After their final two games they have to be furious to not get a seed and home match!  And glad they won't be in Akron's league (literally that is) next season!

 

Official NCAA RPI Rankings through games of November 13, 2022

 

WMU finished ranked #33

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like everyone on this board, I am very apprehensive....that the Zips will have to play probably Pittsburgh...without 2 very good players...Jason Shokalook and Dyson Clapier.

 

Well, I am going to look at things in a very positive perspective.

 

As I mentioned in a previous post, the zips went to Pittsburgh and played the Panthers to a 3-3 tie.   Most zips fans at the game thought that the final should have been 4-2 zips.   The zips had a very questionable offsides call against them.   If not called, the Zips score 4 goals in that game.   Most Zips fans at the game felt that Pitt was clearly offside on one of their 3 goals.       Looking at the video on both calls, the Zips got "homered" on the road.

 

    I have attached a box score from the game .   If you look at the box score, one important name will not jump out at you.   Jason Shokalook did not play in the regular season game against Pittsburgh as Jason had received a red card against Ohio State.

 

     I would argue very strongly that the zips are much better now in both the midfield and on the defensive backline....than they were when they played Pitt early in the season.

Why do I say that?   Again. Look at the box score.   Will Jackson was injured and only played 3 minutes in that game.   I believe that Sam Tojaga's first game back from Injury was against Pitt.  Sam Tojage only played 7 minutes.

 

    The zips have been a much better team with Captain Sam Tojaga in the midfield.   With Sam Tojage hopefully playing 90 minutes on Sunday, the Zips will be much better in the midfield.

 

    If you look at the box score, Malik and Ashton were the outside backs.  Joel Sangwa and William Portman were the center backs.   Will Jackson has done a great job after moving to center back.    Will Jackson and Joel Sangwa are a very strong center back duo.   Ashton has continued to improve during his freshman season.  Ashton is better now than he was in October.

 

   Ryan Kingsford is a warrior.  He will run thru walls for the Zips.   In Shooky's absence against Pitt, "King" stepped up and had a huge game.   "King" and Stefean Dobrijevic will both rise to the challenge on Sunday.   Dyson is a great player and he will be missed on Sunday.   However, if you look at the box score, Terence Okoeguale only played 14 minutes against Pitt.   As I mentioned in a previous post, Terence Okoeguale may be the most improved player over the course of the season.

 

    It won't be easy.......but the zips battled Pitt very well in October....essentially without Will Jackson and without Sam Tojaga....and almost without Terence Okoegaule.    The zips need a full house in the stands.       When you look at their last matchup, this zips team is deep....and talented...and they can and will battle either Pitt or Cleveland State.

 

 

https://gozips.com/sports/mens-soccer/stats/2022/-3-pittsburgh/boxscore/8525

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@TennZipmade a great analysis of players!  Knowing next to nothing about soccer, wern't these the players that WMU handled the last 2 matches?  Has WMU shown everyone the formula to beat the Zips?  Will it be up to the Coach of ther Year to bring us home?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, TennZip said:

As we all know, the Zips have played both Pitt and Cleveland State this year

Alas, the zips had Shooky and Dyson Clapier available when they played each team

The zips led Cleveland State 4-0 at halftime and played their backups for most of the 2nd half..(4-0 win)

The zips played at Pittsburgh and battled to a 3-3 tie.   Most zip fans at that game said that the zips were "homered" by several poor calls by the referees.

Let's hope that Cleveland State plays their best game of the year....and battles Pitt for 90 minutes and 2 overtimes.

Go, Zips !!!!

Shook was also out against Pitt after the Red Card he had against Ohio State. Ryan Kingsford played a really good game that day basically playing in place of him. Also Will Jackson was out most of that game too, so hopefully Jackson and Kingsford will be valuable on Sunday

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ham said:

@TennZipmade a great analysis of players!  Knowing next to nothing about soccer, wern't these the players that WMU handled the last 2 matches?  Has WMU shown everyone the formula to beat the Zips?  Will it be up to the Coach of ther Year to bring us home?

I don't think they've shown the formula necessarily. Not everyone has the size or physicality to pull off their game plan.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, indians4841ks said:

I don't think they've shown the formula necessarily. Not everyone has the size or physicality to pull off their game plan.

Very good point.  MAC POTY is Daniel Nimick, a CB.  And GK Hunter Morse is arguably the best in the country.  Pitt have a lot of weapons, but they cannot replicate the size and strength of WMU.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, indians4841ks said:

I don't think they've shown the formula necessarily. Not everyone has the size or physicality to pull off their game plan.

 

WMU also had the mental/effort edge. They took it to us from the get go and put us in too big of a hole to climb out of. Skill wise, we still scored a goal despite being down 2 players and them packing the box. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I recall, we scored the goal when we were only down 1 player. The 2nd red card came with less than 4 minutes remaining.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taken from my failing memory: Last NCAA Champion to NOT enjoy a top 16 seed was UCSB in 2006.  If there was another such occurrence previous to 2006, I am unaware of it, or I have forgotten.  That is how important that 1st round bye truly is.  It is the most significant advantage in all of NCAA athletics.

 

The Selection Committee granted Zips a Moment Of Grace. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I said earlier in this thread, happy my thoughts prior to the committee's decision / bracket announcement were wrong, and that the Zips were seeded in the 16 spot they earned. Some breathing room to prepare.

 

I will remind ZipsNation and our current players that the last time the Zips made it to the College Cup, 2018 at UCSB, those Zips were unseeded. They faced a different adversity but found a way to put it together and make a great run to the Championship game and runner up trophy. We've seen our 2022 Zips play some amazing Akron soccer this season. We need them to find that within themselves and come out ready to play from kickoff to end.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...