Talking Tressel

bobbyake

476 posts in 57 hours...I seriously don't know how Akron or Tressel hasn't come out and completely denied reports yet. All we've heard is second hand information...even from newspaper websites...

so i still believe something is still going on...

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

476 posts in 57 hours...I seriously don't know how Akron or Tressel hasn't come out and completely denied reports yet. All we've heard is second hand information...even from newspaper websites...

Several people have expressed this same sentintment, but I don't think we will see this happen. That is not the way large, sophisticated organizations work.

During the process when a US Presidential Candidate is contemplating a Vice President nominee, they narrow it to a few people. Then they try to get their first choice on board, but that choice does not always work out. They NEVER announce their second choice by saying "we really wanted so-and-so, but that didn't work out". Nobody wants to admit they failed.

The same thing is true when selecting CEO's or Coaches.

Plus, Tressel's lawyers may have had UA sign a confidentiality agreement before agreeing to open discussions. There may be a legal reason the Tressel details never become public.

and this thread is only the latest of the threads with posts regarding him..

If theres one thing the university should take from this thread, assuming they keep a keen eye on what is being said here, is that theres an IMMENSE amount of interest with JT coming here and that doing so would be a huge boost to our football program.

This has gotten out of hand. If there's nothing going on with Tressel, TW needs to come out right now and nip it in the bud.

I have had people who I know don't follow Akron football at all texting me about Tressel being our new coach. I'm reading all these Tweets from kids saying they're transferring to Akron if the news is true. I'm seeing facebook posts from known Suckeye bandwagoners who went to Akron getting excited about Akron football.

Some of you may say this is great, we're getting a ton of attention. Maybe it is in the short term. But by allowing this to fester, you're creating a situation where anyone we hire except Tressel is going to be a massive disappointment and the new hire is going to generate ZERO intensity and support in the community. Managing expectations is an extremely important part of PR.

If Tressel is in the mix, then sure, continue to keep it quiet and then come out with a huge announcement. If he's not, YOU HAVE TO KILL THIS THING NOW TOM.

This has gotten out of hand. If there's nothing going on with Tressel, TW needs to come out right now and nip it in the bud.

I have had people who I know don't follow Akron football at all texting me about Tressel being our new coach. I'm reading all these Tweets from kids saying they're transferring to Akron if the news is true. I'm seeing facebook posts from known Suckeye bandwagoners who went to Akron getting excited about Akron football.

Some of you may say this is great, we're getting a ton of attention. Maybe it is in the short term. But by allowing this to fester, you're creating a situation where anyone we hire except Tressel is going to be a massive disappointment and the new hire is going to generate ZERO intensity and support in the community. Managing expectations is an extremely important part of PR.

If Tressel is in the mix, then sure, continue to keep it quiet and then come out with a huge announcement. If he's not, YOU HAVE TO KILL THIS THING NOW TOM.

+1

The interest throughout the state is astonishing. I was on a few OSU boards seeing if any of their insiders knew anything and I was amazed at the number of OSU fans that were following this story and hoping it was true. A lot of people wish this was really happening for the good of Tressel, UA and college football in general. I wonder if Tressel or his people are paying attention to the buzz that this is causing all over the Buckeye state.

If he says anything (kills it), it should come when JT is no longer a candidate. Since we are not privy to what is really going on...we can only speculate and wait. If Tressel were to come here...it will happen this week. So...we should all be patient and view any "information" skeptically.

The interest throughout the state is astonishing. I was on a few OSU boards seeing if any of their insiders knew anything and I was amazed at the number of OSU fans that were following this story and hoping it was true. A lot of people wish this was really happening for the good of Tressel, UA and college football in general. I wonder if Tressel or his people are paying attention to the buzz that this is causing all over the Buckeye state.

Some of these are reasons why I was saying even last week before this became a thing that Tressel should consider taking a job like Akron's. There is so much potential for him. It would be completely different outside this state.

And UA could probably gain so much from it that it might be worth his pricetag.

However, none of that was ever intended to imply that he would ever likely do it. I was just making a case for why it would seem to work out all the way around.

He has one risk... and that risk is that he can't right the ship that is currently a lead dirigible known as Akron football. Everything else is alllll opportunity

Am I the only one amazed by the buzz kill of one article by the Canton Repository?

I'm not on the Tressel bandwagon, but it is kind of funny that everyone assumes it's not happening because of this article. Ian owned up to making up the "Tressel is on campus today" rumor. Just because he wasn't here today now there's suddenly no way he would be hired as coach. The writer obviously doesn't know that much about UA if he wonders why they would host it in the meeting rooms at the stadium. I also love how everyone assumes he's right since he quoted "an unnamed source close to Tressel" as his information. Do I think Tressel is a realistic option... eh, not really. Is it impossible because of the info in that article? No.

Am I the only one amazed by the buzz kill of one article by the Canton Repository?

I'm not on the Tressel bandwagon, but it is kind of funny that everyone assumes it's not happening because of this article. Ian owned up to making up the "Tressel is on campus today" rumor. Just because he wasn't here today now there's suddenly no way he would be hired as coach. The writer obviously doesn't know that much about UA if he wonders why they would host it in the meeting rooms at the stadium. I also love how everyone assumes he's right since he quoted "an unnamed source close to Tressel" as his information. Do I think Tressel is a realistic option... eh, not really. Is it impossible because of the info in that article? No.

I'm not saying it's "impossible", but I prefer to look at it this way:

Try to imagine how much amusement we would all be getting if the Kênt boards were all a flutter about them getting Tressel as their next coach.

lol, yeah. :rolleyes: You know we'd be rolling.

In the immortal words of Lloyd Christmas "So you're telling me there's a chance!"

ITZ, this is manageable if they have the right people in the right positions. It doesn't even require someone at UA. There are consulting companies that specialize in managing situations like this. If done properly, the rumor stage can be stretched out to achieve maximum national interest, and good results can be achieved no matter what the hiring outcome. Tressel can be in the mix without necessarily committing to be head coach. I'm anxious to see how this plays out because I was involved in similar scenarios in the corporate world before I retired. So far, things are going just fine. I think that the key person in all of this is Dr. Proenza, and I believe most of us have a fair amount of faith in his abilities.

I think the more telling thing is the Repository TOOK THE ARTICLE DOWN. Why do media outlets take stories down? Because it came to their attention that something in the article wasn't accurate and they don't want egg on their face. The question becomes, what did they get wrong?

I think a lot of people felt good going into today. I woke up to the Sentinel article and started believing even more. Then came the "Tressel is on campus" stuff, and it got very real. When the "on campus" story turned out to be a lie, and was immediately followed by the Repository article, it was a bit of a buzzkill.

Honestly, I'm where I was when this all started - I still believe there's a chance but won't get my hopes up either. It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.

I think "The Buchtelite" will be the first media outlet to let us know about the new football coach. Just you wait! Remember it's one of those classic bi-weekly newspapers so they have time to gather their sources unlike "The Suppository" that just spews shit out everyday.

Give me some odds here!! How about 1:500,000????? Any takers?

I think the more telling thing is the Repository TOOK THE ARTICLE DOWN. Why do media outlets take stories down? Because it came to their attention that something in the article wasn't accurate and they don't want egg on their face. The question becomes, what did they get wrong?

If you do a search on "tressel" you will find it. I'm not sure where it was headlined earlier in the day, but it was not removed from the site as of 15 minutes ago.

If you do a search on "tressel" you will find it. I'm not sure where it was headlined earlier in the day, but it was not removed from the site as of 15 minutes ago.

Gotcha, I found it. A link that had been provided earlier was coming up blank.

That being said, this was a blog, not an article put out officially by the Repository, and was written by some jerk-off nobody who I guarantee has no "inside source" close to Tressel. Just a guy giving his opinion, like everyone else. Wouldn't put much stock in it.

Until Tressel or the University make a statement that says something to the effect of Tressel not coming to Akron, I will be a believer that it's true. I still believe Tressel will be the next Zips coach.

+1

The Canton report has too many flaws to crush my hopes. Plus, Tressel was on campus Saturday, 100% positive on it.

I guess all the people I've talked to who know Jim personally are wrong. As are the sources the Canton Rep has. I guess facebook and twitter know more than us.

Canton Rep did not take down the story.

http://www.cantonrep.com/community/blog/co...-coach-at-Akron

IDK who your inside sources are from within the department, but if they are really sources who are in the know, they would not be leaking any of this out I'm sure. Esp since they know Tressel to Akron would be a long shot and end with disappointment if you didn't get the big name.

Until Tressel or the University make a statement that says something to the effect of Tressel not coming to Akron, I will be a believer that it's true. I still believe Tressel will be the next Zips coach.

+1

The Canton report has too many flaws to crush my hopes. Plus, Tressel was on campus Saturday, 100% positive on it.

I don't get your point about him being on campus? He was at an Ohio University game earlier this year. And he was at a Can't State game too. He was also at a Youngstown State game. He was also on the campus of Ohio State on Friday. He has been on many campuses in the state of Ohio. And knowing the man that Jim is, I'm sure he wasn't of Robs turf the day he got fired. That's not who he is.