Talking Tressel

bobbyake

I know everyone knows this in the back of their minds, but it's probably worth bringing it to the front of our minds right now:

Some people are seriously interested in tracking down rumors to see if there is any truth in them, and others are humorously interested in messing with people like that by sending them off on false leads.

This would be a good time to take a deep breath and try to keep all the rumors in perspective. Some may be false and some may be true, and many we have no way of confirming one way or the other.

I would not get overly excited about any rumor right now unless it comes from a solid, known source.

THIS. +1

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know everyone knows this in the back of their minds, but it's probably worth bringing it to the front of our minds right now:

Some people are seriously interested in tracking down rumors to see if there is any truth in them, and others are humorously interested in messing with people like that by sending them off on false leads.

This would be a good time to take a deep breath and try to keep all the rumors in perspective. Some may be false and some may be true, and many we have no way of confirming one way or the other.

I would not get overly excited about any rumor right now unless it comes from a solid, known source.

...first hand known source. More hands...less reliable

Scoured the building...had two other friends watch the outside of the building on each side. I haven't seen him personally but there was a buzz on the second floor about it .

Also, there is some sort of meeting in a large conference room on third floor of union. Professional looking people have been coming every few minutes and there has to be at least 20 people in there. Problem is, the doorway doesn't get much view. Trying to get a friend to take my camera across to Crouse to try to peer in window ha.

This is ridiculous...i'm not sold that he's here yet.

He is now in the JAR.

FOR SHAME, BRIAN. FOR SHAME.

shhhhhhhhhh that is a very refutable source :rolleyes:

seriously though, with the way these rumors are going crazy, I am going to try and keep away until our next coach is actually announced by the university.

Anyone could have tweeted the same thing, real sources would be nice.

that was me, I was just poking fun at the rumors. It is beginning to become absurd.

Scoured the building...had two other friends watch the outside of the building on each side. I haven't seen him personally but there was a buzz on the second floor about it .

Also, there is some sort of meeting in a large conference room on third floor of union. Professional looking people have been coming every few minutes and there has to be at least 20 people in there. Problem is, the doorway doesn't get much view. Trying to get a friend to take my camera across to Crouse to try to peer in window ha.

This is ridiculous...i'm not sold that he's here yet.

He is now in the JAR.

Somebody has a time-dated picture of him in the JAR ten minutes ago.

Memo to all -

Please do not use our site to be a jackass. If you see something regarding Tressel, fine. Post it. If you have an opinion, fine. Post it.

If you are fabricating stuff simply to get your rocks off, stop it.

agree. no need to be a jackass

No. Polsky's

Memo to all -

Please do not use our site to be a jackass. If you see something regarding Tressel, fine. Post it. If you have an opinion, fine. Post it.

mod-war

:popcorn emote:

Not at all.

Humor is one thing. Phoney info is something I don't like.

Ive been keeping an eye on twitter and honestly, there seems to be a lot of rumor-milling BS going on there too. Someone posts an opinion, someone else takes it as fact, and away it goes. This is OUT OF CONTROL. Hell, this thread should probably be locked until some form of credible information is found because its just nonsense.

FROM TWITTER:

Bigchief_WZIP: just to show how out of hand this tressel thing has got, i posted a false fb status about JT being here. 1hour later 35 likes 26 comments

Memo to all -

My apologies, CK, it's just beginning to get frustrating to see everyone buying into every rumor that sounds plausible. Like I said in another post, I will try to take myself away from this until something is formally announced. Some can handle the rumors, I apparently cannot.

Can we all grow up a little bit. We're posting info from peoples (fans) facebook and twitter feeds and taking it as truth?

We want the guy desperately. I'd love to have Urban Meyer here too. But let's face it, it's not going to happen.

You don't go from Jim Tressel to Paul Winters.

If we really have all this money to throw around the next logical choice would be a Mike Stoops then so on and so on. It would not be and never has been Jim Tressel, then Winters then OC for blah blah... Let's put this into proportion. Tressel isn't coming here!

ZipRoo, I'M NOT 100% SURE...but I don't think the NCAA gives a damn that the football team is in the tank and nobody goes to the games. Also I was not aware that I needed to have your blessing before I was allowed to post on this board. I'M NOT NOT 100% SURE that there is a correlation between how long someone has been posting here and how reliable there information is. If I am wrong on that front...ZipRoo...please show me. So if I hear what you are saying ZipRoo, if Tom Wistricill decided to sign up and post information on this board...his info wouldn't be reliable because he would be a total newcomer. I remember when bringing in a BIG NAME former head coach from NOTRE DAME(Gerry Faust) was hailed as a huge coup for Akron. We all know how that turned out. Also, you are fooling yourself if you think just because Jim Tressel is here...Akron is going to get the 4 and 5 star recruits. THAT I am 100% sure of. A kid may have grown up wanting to play for Jim Tressel, but the part about him being at Ohio State, coaching in the Big Ten, coaching in BCS Bowls might have had something to do with it as well. I am NOT against the hiring of Jim Tressel. I AM against hiring a coach that will bring sanctions with him that will hamstring a football program that is already in awful shape.

Big Zip, no I am not a member of the NCAA and NO...$250,000 and 1 year away from coaching will most likely not be enough...although I AM NOT 100% SURE on that. I just researched the topic. If you type in "show-cause" on Google...you could probably even do it yourself. A show-cause penalty means a school wanting to hire a coach serving that penalty must appear before the NCAA committee on infractions to explain why it wants to do so. If the school chooses to go ahead with the hire, it would have to agree to any possible additional penalties the committee might want to levy. Traditionally, schools have stayed away from a coach on a show-cause penalty. Bruce Pearl got 3 years and what he did(Lying to NCAA investigators about potential Aaron Craft being at a picnic at his house) was minor compared to what Tressel did.

Again, I am not the NCAA. If Akron wanted to hire Tressel and they explained why to the NCAA, they might not receive any sanctions at all(I doubt it...but I'M NOT 100% SURE).

With all due respect, zip13, making definitive statements--like you know 100% for certain--that something will or will not happen is exactly why half the members on this board, plus Mike Rasor, have egg on their faces today. They said "There's no way Akron will fire Ianello and eat 3 years."

Fact is, if Akron had to "show cause" why they'd hire Jim Tressel, I'd direct them to our record the past 5 years, the empty stadium, the bottom of the BCS polls, the fan revolt and serious loss of income. If the NCAA truly is so ignorant that they don't feel a quality man and coach like Jim Tressel could remedy this situation, then the organization needs to be disbanded. Frankly, they're fortunate some higher authority hasn't already disbanded the corrupt NCAA.

Furthermore, at back-to-back 1-11 seasons, I'd be willing to give up any "bowl appearances" for two years up front, if that's what it took to bring Tressel to campus. In other words, there is no roadblock that would stop me in pursuing and hiring Jim Tressel here. It's the perfect fit and the answer to our decades-long problem. The NCAA really needs to turn its attention to sex scandals, point-shaving, and other tawdry messes across the country...and leave The University of Akron to hire the best coach on the market: Jim Tressel.

So until we hear something definitive from a more reliable source than a total newcomer to this board, how about keeping your negative theories to yourself?

Ive been keeping an eye on twitter and honestly, there seems to be a lot of rumor-milling BS going on there too. Someone posts an opinion, someone else takes it as fact, and away it goes. This is OUT OF CONTROL. Hell, this thread should probably be locked until some form of credible information is found because its just nonsense.

FROM TWITTER:

Bigchief_WZIP: just to show how out of hand this tressel thing has got, i posted a false fb status about JT being here. 1hour later 35 likes 26 comments

My source who works for the football team (and told me about the firing of Ianello and he reasons it was delayed, which proved to be true) and my other source who is a player, have both told me Tressel has an interview today.

Can we all grow up a little bit. We're posting info from peoples (fans) facebook and twitter feeds and taking it as truth?

We want the guy desperately. I'd love to have Urban Meyer here too. But let's face it, it's not going to happen.

If we really have all this money to throw around the next logical choice would be a Mike Stoops then so on and so on. It would not be and never has been Jim Tressel, then Winters then OC for blah blah... Let's put this into proportion. Tressel isn't coming here!

Stoops is more than likely going to be on OSU's staff.

I am skeptical about it happening, but lets not act like its impossible. Didnt Akron hire Faust right after he was fired from Notre Dame? We CAN get the big boys.

FROM TWITTER:

Posting a false story to demonstrate it can be done is like taking a boxcutter on board a plane to show security it can be done. They wont have a sense of humor about it, and bigchief_WZIP isn't proving anything but how much of a jackass he can be

Bruce Hooley was on the Really Big Show this AM.

He indicated that Fickel will be paid $750K as a position coach on Meyer's staff and that

Tressel is indeed interested in the UA job and maybe the UCLA job.

Akron has a big advantage over UCLA because JT wouldn't be able to include any years at UCLA with the years spent at YSU and tOSU in his state retirement plan. This could cut his retirement check by hundreds of dollars.

Not true, Tressel has already hit his 30 year pension in the state system. That being said, they average it off of your 3 best years. So coaching at Akron would not affect his pension at all. Plus you can buy years if you worked at a public institution out of state. So his two years at Syracuse count towards the overall 30 years. Simply put, Tressel won't lose a dime in pension money by choosing Akron over an out of state school. Akron nor another school in Ohio, can match his 3 best year total at Ohio State.

FYI he won't be going to UCLA either.

Stoops is more than likely going to be on OSU's staff.

I am skeptical about it happening, but lets not act like its impossible. Didnt Akron hire Faust right after he was fired from Notre Dame? We CAN get the big boys.

Big difference in the accomplishments and departure status between Faust and Tressel.

Faust was Notre Dame's version of our Ianello experience. He was run off as a failed experiment.

Tressel was a wildy successful coach who got caught up in an NCAA mess.