2014 Commit: Chandler Kincade

That's two highly rated WPIAL QBs that Bowden's brought in now who originally were going to BCS schools.

This is our first commit of 2014, and hopefully it signals more to come soon. If potential top recruits see other highly rated guys coming here, maybe they will be more willing to commit to us as well.

Interview with Chandler on ESPN Insider.

Here's the part that's not behind a paywall:

When Chandler Kincade (Beaver Falls, Pa./Blackhawk) opened up his recruitment after a long-standing commitment to Pittsburgh, he never discounted the idea of playing in the MAC despite formerly being a BCS conference commit.

The 6-foot-5, 218-pound Kincade committed to Akron on Sunday. The three-star quarterback visited Akron a few days earlier.

“We’re very happy with the choice of Akron. My whole family can watch me play,” Kincade said. “In the MAC, you’re playing at quarterback and there’s great history. My family and I, since I decommitted, we never looked down at the MAC. You see the guys who come out of [the conference]. This year they have the No. 1 pick.”

Sixth headline listed in the Pittsburgh Tribune. Does anyone actually get this paper? I would be curious as to what page the article was on.

Congrats to assistant coach AJ :thumb:

“After I de-committed, Akron's quarterbacks coach (A.J. Milwee) really made a push. He said, ‘We're looking for a guy like you, a guy who can be the face of the program,' ” Kincade said. “I try to take that stuff very (lightly). I looked at the facts. The visit was important. The visit sealed the deal for me.”

Great addition to the program! Beaver Falls - The same high school that produced Joe Namath. If he's half as good as that guy, then we've got ourselves a solid D1 QB.

I think Kincade is from Blackhawk HS. Namath went to Beaver Falls High. Either way, I hope he is half (or even a quarter) as good.

Let's see if he sticks after a good senior season and once others start coming after him. NLOID is a long time away.
I'm trying to decide what to pray for. He stays with the Zips and has a great college career, or he switches his commit to Cowlumbus and goes 4-20 for his career. Ahhh, what the heck, I'll go with the Zips.

I believe Chandler plays in New Castle in October, about an hour drive from Akron. Could be a fun trip for ZN.

I'm trying to decide what to pray for. He stays with the Zips and has a great college career, or he switches his commit to Cowlumbus and goes 4-20 for his career. Ahhh, what the heck, I'll go with the Zips.

I believe Chandler plays in New Castle in October, about an hour drive from Akron. Could be a fun trip for ZN.

Hopefully he sticks with UA. It would be nice to have a good pro style QB in TB's system.

I'm not sure what Cowlumbus is, but if you mean the team in Columbus, he is the wrong style of QB for their offense.

Let's see if he sticks after a good senior season and once others start coming after him.

NLOID is a long time away.

This was Tom Linder's point on 1350 yesterday. If he has a big senior season we could absolutely lose him, but the good news is he seems to feel very comfortable with the program right now. It would probably need to be a pretty big name at this point is my guess, and it's not like those teams don't already know about him. Keep fingers crossed.

This is huge. I was excited when Pitt got him. Looks like he's not staying on board as its probable Paul Chrysts nephew will be coming to Pitt. He's one of the top (I want to say the #1 but i am not sure) QBs in this class. Kincade isn't going to beat chryst out, but he sure can win a bunch of games for Akron. Go Zips!

This was Tom Linder's point on 1350 yesterday. If he has a big senior season we could absolutely lose him, but the good news is he seems to feel very comfortable with the program right now. It would probably need to be a pretty big name at this point is my guess, and it's not like those teams don't already know about him. Keep fingers crossed.

I wonder if Tom got that thought reading this thread two days ago when Zipmeister said, "An excellent case where being able to get a signed LOI NOW might be beneficial."

Pitt picks up third commitment for 2014 recruiting class - Ohio quarterback Adam Bertke

Bertke is rated as a three-star recruit by Scout and currently unrated by Rivals. Scout also calls him the No. 50 quarterback in the nation FWIW. Bertke reportedly had several offers from schools including Illinois, Can't State, Bowling Green, and get this, Akron - where Chandler Kincade just went. So Pitt essentially lost the higher-rated Kincade for Bertke here.