Game 1—Oklahoma

Its bad enough this game was another embarrassment. I was all hype and filled with UA Alum pride when i saw Zips Equipment tweet out they are selling replica helmets so I sent them an email of interest.
They are asking for $500 for any of the current helmets. Hell thats worth more than the season tickets they are handing out for free right now.
Am i going crazy or should i feel outraged and straight up disrespected?

Its bad enough this game was another embarrassment. I was all hype and filled with UA Alum pride when i saw Zips Equipment tweet out they are selling replica helmets so I sent them an email of interest.

They are asking for $500 for any of the current helmets. Hell thats worth more than the season tickets they are handing out for free right now.

Am i going crazy or should i feel outraged and straight up disrespected?

You shouldn't be surprised because those helmets are worth every cent of $500.

You shouldn't be surprised because those helmets are worth every cent of $500.

Good call. Uncertified replicas of college football helmets that wouldn't be allowed on an actual playing field can be bought for less than $100. But real NCAA-approved helmets with all the safety features sell for a minimum of $300 in a generic color. Custom helmet painting, decals, etc., add a fair chunk to the $300. Add in a modest retail profit for those producing and handling the special Zips edition and $500 is not an unreasonable price to pay for someone who wants the real thing and not a cheap plastic imitation.

A couple of comments and questions on the OU game:

1. It seemed as though the staff focused more on game planning for the entire 2015 season in general as opposed to the Sooners in particular ahead of this game. I agree with pphilfran's assessment that OU's front seven is clearly their strength on defense. A quick passing attach would have seemed to be the best approach against this team. On the most successful play of the game, Lane showed that Sanchez in particular could have been exploited more often. Of course, this type of game plan would have meant Pohl or Woodson should start in place of Chapman. That clearly wasn't about to happen.
  2. The lack of WRs was a concern all through the off-season for many of us. It's a bigger concern for me now. I'd like to see Chapman switched to WR immediately. Lane, Means Jr and Newman were the only guys who showed me anything as pass catching threats. Did McNeil have any balls thrown his way? I barely noticed him.
  3. I'd play Pohl at QB right now, but I have to admit that Woodson looked to be in MUCH better shape than last year and deserves a chance to compete.
  4. Watching the defense in the 1st few series was absolutely a blast. Obviously they need some support from the other side of the ball, but it sure is fun to watch these guys when they have any semblance of gas in the tank. I just hope they get a chance this year to truly show how good they are for 60 minutes.
  5. Even though the Sooner front seven seems to be extremely good, the O-line play was very disappointing based on the comments coming out of camp. It's got to improve or competing for a MAC championship is out of the question.
  6. I could have sworn I saw a #91 on the D-line getting into it with an OU coach on the play where Perrine was tackled out of bounds. Who is #91? He's not listed on the roster.
  7. Did Coe play any after the 1st series? I thought I heard Joe Dunn say he had came off the field early, but I didn't notice him come back.
  8. Thanks to pphilfran for stopping by and providing excellent insight with a reasonable tone. Enjoy the rest of the season!

A couple of comments and questions on the OU game:

1. It seemed as though the staff focused more on game planning for the entire 2015 season in general as opposed to the Sooners in particular ahead of this game. I agree with pphilfran's assessment that OU's front seven is clearly their strength on defense. A quick passing attach would have seemed to be the best approach against this team. On the most successful play of the game, Lane showed that Sanchez in particular could have been exploited more often. Of course, this type of game plan would have meant Pohl or Woodson should start in place of Chapman. That clearly wasn't about to happen.
  2. The lack of WRs was a concern all through the off-season for many of us. It's a bigger concern for me now. I'd like to see Chapman switched to WR immediately. Lane, Means Jr and Newman were the only guys who showed me anything as pass catching threats. Did McNeil have any balls thrown his way? I barely noticed him.
  3. I'd play Pohl at QB right now, but I have to admit that Woodson looked to be in MUCH better shape than last year and deserves a chance to compete.
  4. Watching the defense in the 1st few series was absolutely a blast. Obviously they need some support from the other side of the ball, but it sure is fun to watch these guys when they have any semblance of gas in the tank. I just hope they get a chance this year to truly show how good they are for 60 minutes.
  5. Even though the Sooner front seven seems to be extremely good, the O-line play was very disappointing based on the comments coming out of camp. It's got to improve or competing for a MAC championship is out of the question.
  6. I could have sworn I saw a #91 on the D-line getting into it with an OU coach on the play where Perrine was tackled out of bounds. Who is #91? He's not listed on the roster.
  7. Did Coe play any after the 1st series? I thought I heard Joe Dunn say he had came off the field early, but I didn't notice him come back.
  8. Thanks to pphilfran for stopping by and providing excellent insight with a reasonable tone. Enjoy the rest of the season!

I agree with a lot of this. My only concern about moving Chapman to WR would be what we do next year. Getting a true freshman, who is ready to compete, could be pretty challenging.

I especially agree with #1. I am not sure it was such a bad plan. I don't think at our best we could have competed with OU. They might very well be the best team we see over the next 3 years.

I share your concern about WR, apart from Lane. I think we probably need to give it a little time, though, as there were not that many catchable passes. If I remember correctly, we hit the TE once, but that was it. I would also like to see more of that.

I can't say for sure about Coe, but I was impressed with Jamal Marcus - he had a good outing as did Pittman. Someone left early - might have been Coe, but it was cramping, not an injury, I think.

RE; #91 - They said he tried to punch a coach but I didn't see it on the replay. I thought it was Monroe who got it into it on the sidelines.

I was pleased that the team did not quit, like it seemed we did against Marshall.

Lastly, hat's off to Stoops for the class act of not humiliating us. It has to be tempting, given he college football playoff situation, and he chose not to do that.

To those that traveled to the game. How was the trip? Treated fairly? Survive all the road and stadium construction?

I talked some friends who went and had nothing but positive things to say. The said the fans were very welcoming and thanked them for coming. Thanks for your friendly participation and insights in this thread, pphilifran!

1. I could have sworn I saw a #91 on the D-line getting into it with an OU coach on the play where Perrine was tackled out of bounds. Who is #91? He's not listed on the roster.
  2. Did Coe play any after the 1st series? I thought I heard Joe Dunn say he had came off the field early, but I didn't notice him come back.

I gotta believe #91 was Rodney Coe. That was his number last year and when #91 was helped off the field in the 3rd quarter, it sure looked like him. The #91 jersey had no name on the back. I have no idea why his jersey would have been switched unless the #9 was somehow damaged or something. Dunno.

I gotta believe #91 was Rodney Coe. That was his number last year and when #91 was helped off the field in the 3rd quarter, it sure looked like him. The #91 jersey had no name on the back. I have no idea why his jersey would have been switched unless the #9 was somehow damaged or something. Dunno.

That makes sense, K92. The guy I noticed was huge and Coe is the only guy we have with that size playing D-line. At least when he came off the field in the 3rd quarter, it sure looked like a simple case of cramping. Thanks!

helped off the field in the 3rd quarter, it sure looked like him.

Rodney Coe, possible cramp with 5 minutes left in the third.

He had some nice penetration multiple times in the game. Hope he is healthy for Saturday.

Here are my quick thoughts on the game. I'm not going to get too excited over this game. I take away two obvious things from this game, OU has a talented team, and the Zips offense needs to produce to help their very good defense.

• I was impressed with Mayfield, once our starters got fatigued, he made some very nice decisions combined with an accurate arm. He seemed to make all the throws necessary to open up your playbook. This is not the case for our QBs. We are limited in effective routes at this time.

• Our defense is as good as advertised. Don't let the second half TD's get to you too much. That will be the deepest, most talented team we will play all year.

• Every piece of video I have seen from Jerome Lane was impressive for the small amount of time that he has practiced being a receiver.

• OU's skill players were also impressive. I can see why fans are excited about Mixon, he reminds me a little of LeVeon Bell how he stops, finds his destination, and accelerates. He has the unteachable instincts in the open field too. The receivers provided excellent blocking downfield on multiple occasions. I'll definitely check out another Sooner game this year.

• I could pick apart our offense, but I'm not going to judge the group by one game. There are many frustrating things I saw, hopefully the team can adjust, and move on. I watched most of the Pitt game Saturday, their are a LOT of yards on the field for our offense, go get them.

• If you did not watch the game, and only listened to it, I suggest you give it a look.

• The team is back at it this morning and getting ready for this Saturday's opener.

PS twenty six thousand views on our opening game thread. Not bad.

• Like 1

Yep, talked with the Equipment guys, his original jersey was ripped up pretty bad so they had no choice but to put a different one on him.

• Our defense is as good as advertised. Don't let the second half TD's get to you too much. That will be the deepest, most talented team we will play all year.

And also the hottest, most fatiguing weather the Zips will face all year.

The following from the USA Today story is encouraging:

Somewhat lost in the excitement over Mayfield's performance was Oklahoma's ineffective showing on the ground. The Sooners rushed for only 100 yards against Akron — their lowest single-game production since 2012.

If you were looking at some way of rationalizing the butt-kicking we received on Saturday night, perhaps this box score provides some perspective that things have been much worse in the past, with much better offensive talent on the Zips side of the ball, vs. a weaker P5 opponent.

We can hope that all the new faces on the offense, combined with a new offensive philosophy, were similar to what Brookhart's new system and staff brought back on '04.

We'll learn a lot this Saturday.

Yep. Charlie's Sr. year, right after JD arrived, and only a year before a MAC title. And this Virginia team was ranked in the same neighborhood as this OU team.

This team would later rattle off 5 straight wins that season, and got a late season meeting with Miami that could have won us the MAC title.

Lets hope this team moves forward just like the 2004 team.

If you were looking at some way of rationalizing the butt-kicking we received on Saturday night, perhaps this box score provides some perspective that things have been much worse in the past, with much better offensive talent on the Zips side of the ball, vs. a weaker P5 opponent.

We can hope that all the new faces on the offense, combined with a new offensive philosophy, were similar to what Brookhart's new system and staff brought back on '04.

We'll learn a lot this Saturday.

Ugh. I was at this game while visiting my brother in Charlottesville in 2004. I talked us up something fierce and then had to beg him to stay past halftime. Saturday will reveal a lot. Is the offense really THAT bad or was the OK defense THAT good. YSU had no trouble piling up points at Pitt.

Ugh. I was at this game while visiting my brother in Charlottesville in 2004. I talked us up something fierce and then had to beg him to stay past halftime. Saturday will reveal a lot. Is the offense really THAT bad or was the OK defense THAT good. YSU had no trouble piling up points at Pitt.

The Offence is that bad..