MAC Bowl Games

LZIp

Really BGSU? Really...they lost to Gerogia Southern? Really Ohio? Really...they lost to App. State? Wasn't it the first year for both of those programs in FBS?

2nd year, which is why they could go to a Bowl Game, and you are talking about two of the most storied FCS programs, but continue with your football ignorance.

• Like 1

2nd year, which is why they could go to a Bowl Game, and you are talking about two of the most storied FCS programs, but continue with your football ignorance.

App State and Georgia Southern have been football powerhouses at the lower level for years. I remember seeing Georgia Southern completely crush teams over the years and win, I believe, three IAA National Championships in the 1980's alone.

Edited by blueandgold

I'm surprised that there isn't much press on this, even on HustleBelt: but I just did a count myself. This season ties for the Most MAC teams in post-season Bowls as any other season. The last season we had this many teams in the post season it was 2012. The most teams we've had in post-season bowls is 7.

I'm surprised that there isn't much press on this, even on HustleBelt: but I just did a count myself. This season ties for the Most MAC teams in post-season Bowls as any other season. The last season we had this many teams in the post season it was 2012. The most teams we've had in post-season bowls is 7.

If those darn Canadians would've won their finale, it would've been 8.

I just don't feel it's that big of a story. In 1995 there were 18 bowl games, this season there were 40, excluding the national championship. There have been plenty of other seasons when 7 MAC schools were bowl eligible. There just weren't enough bowl games for them all to get bowl slots.

I know I am jumping in on this one a little late, but before anyone starts putting too much stock in bowl games, and starts putting Appalachian State and Georgia Southern on some pedestal, know that they finished behind Arkansas State in the Sun Belt. And Arkansas State just got annihilated by Louisiana Tech about a week ago.

These might be bowl games on neutral fields. But, that's the only difference between these games, and one extra week of OOC play. Please, temper the idea that this is some kind of grand indicator, or you might start sounding like the OSWho fans who spent last January yelling on rooftops that they had suddenly buried the SEC in a grave because they had won one game in 14 tries against the conference.

I know I am jumping in on this one a little late, but before anyone starts putting too much stock in bowl games, and starts putting Appalachian State and Georgia Southern on some pedestal, know that they finished behind Arkansas State in the Sun Belt. And Arkansas State just got annihilated by Louisiana Tech about a week ago.

These might be bowl games on neutral fields. But, that's the only difference between these games, and one extra week of OOC play. Please, temper the idea that this is some kind of grand indicator, or you might start sounding like the OSWho fans who spent last January yelling on rooftops that they had suddenly buried the SEC in a grave because they had won one game in 14 tries against the conference.

I agree. You can put some stock in bowl results but be wary of putting too much stock in them. Bowl games are very hard to figure. Teams have a different amount of time to prepare for one particular opponent. Some teams party more than others in bowl season. A lot of teams are in the midst of coaching changes or rumors of change are swirling around their program. Some teams are simply happy to be where they are while others are not nearly as excited. Seniors are emotional about it being their last game which can be either a positive or negative. There are just so many factors that make bowl game scenarios different than the games that take place during the rest of the season.

The game played-out about exactly as you'd expect.

Minnesota had beaten OU in a close game, and CMU was about as exact an equivalent to OU as you're gonna find (reference their performances vs. the Zips).

So Minnesota beating CMU in a close game was pretty much a given.

I'd like to think the Zips would have beaten Minnesota. Where CMU and OU were-what-they-were, the late-season Zips had upside. Woodson was getting better every game, as was the Zips defense.

• Like 1

Is anyone watching the Baylor-UNC game? They just put up a ridiculous graphic titled "hot topics" (or something like that). The purpose was to show 3 significant stats during bowl season. Well ESPN really blew this one. They had the Boise St defense limiting Northern IOWA, complete with Panther nickname and logo, to 31 yards. Unbelievable :(

Edit: Deadspin caught it.

Edited by johnnyzip84
  • Like 1

Is anyone watching the Baylor-UNC game? They just put up a ridiculous graphic titled "hot topics" (or something like that). The purpose was to show 3 significant stats during bowl season. Well ESPN really blew this one. They had the Boise St defense limiting Northern IOWA, complete with Panther nickname and logo, to 31 yards. Unbelievable :(

Edit: Deadspin caught it.

I also noticed that last night. I was actually happy they made the mistake because that game was a disgrace to the MAC. Lol.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Block out your schedule.

2016 MAC Bowl Partners (all games on ESPN):
Sat., Dec. 17 at 5:30 pm ET -- Raycom Media Camellia Bowl (Montgomery, Ala.; vs. Sun Belt)
Mon., Dec. 19 at 2:30 pm ET -- Miami Beach Bowl (Miami, Fla.; vs. American Athletic)
*Wed., Dec. 21 at 9:00 pm ET -- San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl (MAC Backup to BYU)
Thur., Dec. 22 at 7:00 pm ET -- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (Boise, Ida.; vs. Mountain West)
Fri., Dec. 23 at 1:00 pm ET -- Popeyes Bahamas Bowl (Nassau, Bahamas; vs. Conference USA)
Fri., Dec. 23 at 8:00 pm ET -- GoDaddy Bowl (Mobile, Ala.; vs. Sun Belt)
*Mon., Dec. 26 at 2:30 pm ET -- Quick Lane Bowl (Detroit, Mich.) (MAC Backup both ACC and Big Ten Conference)
* MAC secondary bowl partner