2016 Schedule Speculation Thread

Balsy

Time to start this thread up again. Last season they announced the schedule before I had a chance to post this, but this is a place to discuss the 2016 season. Hopes, expectations, and thoughts on what teams we will play next year. Our OOC schedule is set in stone, but the conference schedule should be pretty close to this years'.

OOC Schedule:

vs. VMI

@ Wisconsin

vs. App. State

@ Marshall

Conference Schedule (My prediction, Toledo and WMU I'm not confident about):

vs Bowling Green

vs Miami

vs Buffalo

vs Toledo

@ Ohio

@ Can't

@ CMU

@ WMU

All MAC east opponents are pretty much a lock that they'll me on our schedule, with UMass leaving the conference after this season, there are three spots open that would need to be filled by MAC West opponents. CMU visited this year, so I could see us having the return visit next season. We have not played either NIU or Toledo in over two seasons so they seem like a fit to me. WMU is almost a lock for being on next year's schedule to me because we haven't played them since 2011.

Thoughts? After this season, I'm really looking forward to next year to see if we can keep the momentum going.

Edited by Balsy

The Zips will be losing in the neighborhood of 14-15 starters; including pretty much the entire o-line, their top 2 backs, and the majority of their defensive front 7. Woodson will need to shoulder the load early on until the team gels. The fact he is returning his #1 playmaking receiver should help. There are going to be some pretty big shoes that will need to be filled. Akron success will heavily depend on how well the new guys fill them.

The schedule you propose is pretty brutal considering the turnover we have to overcome. I'm going to hold off making a prediction until an official schedule is released.

VMI home

Wisconsin away

App State home

Marshall away

BG home

Ohio away

Can't away

Miami home

Buffalo away

CMU away

WMU home

NIU home

We last played WMU in the game that...uh...yeah and that was in the Zoo in 2011, so I'm damn near positive we'll play them at home (last time we did was 2010--also not pretty). We'll close the "series" with CMU on the road and that leaves one more home game for either NIU or Toledo. We haven't played either since 2013 and UT was at home so I'm going with NIU. As far as I know, there's no rules when it comes to "playing the last game at their place so the next one is a home game" in regards to East vs. West, but by that logic, this will be the schedule.

As far as the OOC games, we should definitely beat VMI, but probably lose to Wisconsin. I think App St and Marshall are a coin flip. If the conference schedule is as Balsy predicts I say we go 5-3 in that span. (Losses to BG, Toledo and Western Michigan). Basically that would give us another 7-5 or a 6-6 record. Unfortunately I can't see us building on our win total after losing so many seniors this season.

Edited by blueandgold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
6 hours ago, zipsfan33 said:

No worries just an old saying from "The Ghoul" a local horror host if you don't know the name. 

Loved Ghoulardi! My age is showing but I don't care. He was so ahead of his time. Go ahead and "Pluck your magic twanger Froggy!" 

• Like 1