Game 12—@Ohio Bobcats

skip-zip

There might not be much to hang our hats on right now, after what's happened the last few weeks.  But, it's certainly worth mentioning that OU has to travel to Mt. Pleasant this week, while we'll be at home resting, getting healthier, and focusing on one game for a 2 week period.  I hope that gives us enough of an advantage to have enough tools ready, and enough gas in the tank to make a run at these guys.  

Salvaging what's left of this season with an inspired win, and a likely bowl bid, would certainly mean far more to me than tanking and going home, and starting next September playing in front of some very disappointed and unexcited fans.

• Like 2

Dr. Z!  There were 111,111 replies in the football forum and you ruined it!  It was beautiful for those of us who are mildly OCD!

But... now I can reply in the football forum again.

Yes, the placekicking game's been great & has turned what was a big at the beginning of the season into a strength.

23 minutes ago, ComettoZip said:

Does anyone know QB situation? Injury front?  Can we be a little healthier & compete? Hopefully get Bowl eligible 

I haven't heard anything.

But if I were Coach Bowden, I'd be giving all 1st team practice reps to Tyrell Goodman this week.  I don't trust Woody to be healthy for an entire game.

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I haven't heard anything.

But if I were Coach Bowden, I'd be giving all 1st team practice reps to Tyrell Goodman this week.  I don't trust Woody to be healthy for an entire game.

Goodman had nearly as many interceptions (3) as completions (4). If there is any QB that can remotely play, including Chapman, I'd take him over Goodman.

• Like 1

Chapman is the obvious choice but he isn't the QB the Zips need, just a better choice than Goodman.  We have let other QB's in the program go, never given a chance or told there was no future for them here who could do the job.  Kyle P one time told me he had seen 13 QB's come and go in the 4 years he was there.  

Woody was having a great year before he got hurt.  I believe if he would have stayed healthy we would have won at least 2 or 3 more games and in so doing he would have surpassed a lot of passing records.  As other post have stated, Woody's injury, lack of defense and key injuries were our problem this year.  The Tra'von thing didn't work out from the beginning and he has one more year of eligibility.  Let him join a talented receiving corps and do his thing in space next year.  Recruit another QB or two this year and LET THEM PLAY SOME IN SCRIMMAGES, SPRING GAME AND CAMP!  I watched several spring games from MAC and P-5 schools this year.  They all let 4 or 5 QB's show what they could do.  Not us, just Woody and Tra'von and a cameo drive for Hoyer.  Given our offensive tunnel vision it kind of reminds me of the democrats thinking they knew it all about who would win the rust belt in the election.  That's why we play the game, just let the QB's play the game and see who comes out on top.  

3 minutes ago, ComettoZip said:

I wouldn't think Hoyer is hurt.  Anyone know that story?  I understand they are not going to remove Redshirt this late in season 

I recall an article on Hoyer when he transferred to UA from Mercyhurst.

I don't think Hoyer has ever had any intentions on being the Zips starting QB. He is here to learn under Bowden and be around the program, and probably parlay that experience into a coaching job one day.

He asked coach Terry Bowden "just for an opportunity" to walk on and be a part of the team, and he's now in his second year with the Zips.

He's a walk on. He's not the Zips solution at QB, unless we need someone kneeling in the victory formation with 00:02 remaining in a game. And unfortunately it's been too long since we've needed a QB with that specific skill set.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ziptageous said:

Chapman is the obvious choice but he isn't the QB the Zips need, just a better choice than Goodman.  We have let other QB's in the program go, never given a chance or told there was no future for them here who could do the job.  Kyle P one time told me he had seen 13 QB's come and go in the 4 years he was there. 

You gotta quit beating that drum, dude. Name me one of those vaunted 13 QB's that did anything once they left the Zips. Where are all these studs? Most were walk-ons who were worth a look back in the 1-11 days. But nothing more.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I recall an article on Hoyer when he transferred to UA from Mercyhurst.

I don't think Hoyer has ever had any intentions on being the Zips starting QB. He is here to learn under Bowden and be around the program, and probably parlay that experience into a coaching job one day.

He's a walk on. He's not the Zips solution at QB, unless we need someone kneeling in the victory formation with 00:02 remaining in a game. And unfortunately it's been too long since we've needed a QB with that specific skill set.

Hoyer is on the team as a favor to his family. There was never a chance of him seeing the field as a Zips QB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

You gotta quit beating that drum, dude. Name me one of those vaunted 13 QB's that did anything once they left the Zips. Where are all these studs?

I don't disagree with you at all.  I just think the concern here is that we may have never built any depth for an instance like this.  

With scholarships and walk-ons, does anyone know if it's unusual for a D-1A program to have only....

1 Starter

1 Backup

1 Freshman who you are 100% committed to Redshirt.

1 Walk On who is on the roster as a "favor", and was never going to take the field.  

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I don't disagree with you at all.  I just think the concern here is that we may have never built any depth for an instance like this.  

With scholarships and walk-ons, does anyone know if it's unusual for a D-1A program to have only....

1 Starter

1 Backup

1 Freshman who you are 100% committed to Redshirt.

1 Walk On who is on the roster as a "favor", and was never going to take the field.  

It's not ideal but it happens. Pitt's backup is actually the freshman redshirt, so they skipped one of your steps

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I have to imagine it isn't that uncommon for teams to carry only 3 scholarship QBs. Let's be real Akron probably isn't getting the cream of the crop when it comes to walk ons. You don't really go out and recruit WRs thinking this guy could be my emergency #4 starter at QB.

That is...unless you're the Browns :D

Whomever the QB is, I want to see some timely blitzing, and/or a creative (different) pass rush at Athens. We must create turnovers to compete. And yes, I realize they need to put the Bobcats offense in predictable passing situations for this to happen. That has been the challenge, do it. Getting the young guys more practice time is paramount to next season's goal. 

3 hours ago, skip-zip said:

He WAS recruited as a QB, and was moved to another position.  

So Akron has 4 scholarship recruited QBs on its roster +1 walk on? How many scholarships and roster spots did you expect them to spend on QBs? The real issue is it seems outside of Woodson and the jury still being out on Kato, the coaching staff whiffed on recruiting and developing QBs as we have no serviceable backup.

35 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

So Akron has 4 scholarship recruited QBs on its roster +1 walk on? How many scholarships and roster spots did you expect them to spend on QBs?

I don't have any expectation.  That's why I was asking if anyone had any knowledge of our stable of QBs being low or high compared to other D-1A teams.  

To your other point, I'm sure the staff may have felt like they were in good shape last year, with Pohl and Chapman, and Woodson (with 3 years left) on the bench, and a future starter coming in as a freshman the following year.  Obviously, that's all changed with Chapman's virtual ineffectiveness, and Woodson's injuries.  

Just now, skip-zip said:

I don't have any expectation.  That's why I was asking if anyone had any knowledge of our stable of QBs being low or high compared to other D-1A teams.  

To your other point, I'm sure the staff may have felt like they were in good shape last year, with Pohl and Chapman, and Woodson (with 3 years left) on the bench, and a future starter coming in as a freshman the following year.  Obviously, that's all changed with Chapman's virtual ineffectiveness, and Woodson's injuries.  

Thats the thing about college sports. With so much player turnover strengths can quickly turn into weaknesses. That's why it's so important to constantly recruit and develop talent well.