Zips @ #8 Gonzaga 12/10/16

kreed5120

I wish the feed was a little better because I did not see the T on Big Dog.  It looked like he was upset with the acting job by their center but it did not appear the his reaction was over the top or deserved a t.  We are not going to get any calls on the road but that one really hurt and turned the game around.  Big Dog merely put his elbow on their center's back and then their center fell down a second later.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I wish the feed was a little better because I did not see the T on Big Dog.  It looked like he was upset with the acting job by their center but it did not appear the his reaction was over the top or deserved a t.  We are not going to get any calls on the road but that one really hurt and turned the game around.  Big Dog merely put his elbow on their center's back and then their center fell down a second later.

Pretty sure the T was called because he lowed his shoulder into the guy, not because he overreacted to the call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ: No. 8 Gonzaga pulls away down the stretch to sink Zips 61-43

We shot 6-14 from the free throw line :puke:

Including both Antino and Hughes missing the front ends of a 1 and 1. Missing the front end of a 1 and 1 is pretty much a turnover.

Edited by kreed5120

Mivid.  Your opinion is your opinion.  Maybe you're right, Who knows.

But, I have to inquire, just because it's such a definitive statement that offers nothing else.  So, what is it that you see in the way Keith coaches this team that tells you that we are completely incapable of winning an NCAA tournament game?

Edited by skip-zip

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Including both Antino and Hughes missing the front ends of a 1 and 1. Missing the front end of a 1 and 1 is pretty much a turnover.

I said this earlier, but I believe that Antino missed the front end of that 1-and-1 not long after Ivey missed 2 out of 3 when he was fouled on the 3 pointer.  The Gonzaga lead was still only 2-3 possessions at that point.  But right after that, Gonzaga broke into that double-digit margin, and it was all over.  

These types of games always shift by a player or two making a play when it really matters.  Yes, there were plenty of other factors that may have decided this game.  But at that particular juncture, it was as simple as burying a few free throws, and we may have been able to take that game down closer to the wire.  

I love the Zips no matter their record and I admittedly don't know much about the mechanics of the game.  Just a long time fan who schedules the winter months around the games.

That being said, Dambrot cant will these guys to make 3s or free throws.   And he can't seem to make Big Dog condition himself.   The only way a team like Akron or any other MAC team can win one of these games or win a NCAA tourney game is to get hot from 3 and go 90% at the foul line.  It's hard for me to blame the coach when I think the level of talent is baked in to these players from day 1.  They may improve here or there and may learn to hustle more on defense, but mid major teams aren't going to sneak some amazing prospect into their program in this day and age.

skip....gut feeling...& i fail to see any evidence it will ever happen...this team pisses down it's leg too much against good teams...i want to be wrong trust me..i want that sweet 16 run like i've seen so many other schools enjoy.....akron and i believe buffalo are the only two teams from MAC to never win a ncaa game correct? zips regular season/mac success hasn't translated to the national stage..will it ever?

Edited by mivid12

47 minutes ago, mivid12 said:

skip....gut feeling...& i fail to see any evidence it will ever happen...this team pisses down it's leg too much against good teams...i want to be wrong trust me..i want that sweet 16 run like i've seen so many other schools enjoy.....akron and i believe buffalo are the only two teams from MAC to never win a ncaa game correct? zips regular season/mac success hasn't translated to the national stage..will it ever?

NIU hasn't neither, but I believe your're right in everyone else has. 

On 12/10/2016 at 7:01 AM, skip-zip said:

This got me thinking.  Akron and Gonzaga are both "non-power" D-1 programs that have won a lot of games consistently for many, many years.  But Gonzaga has roughly only 1/4 of Akron's enrollment.  Yet, this video doesn't seem to paint a picture of "college students today don't have as much free time as they did in 19__", or "students can't make it to games today because they all have to work 3 jobs", etc.    

:rofl:

1.  Gonzaga is a PRIVATE catholic university.  Akron is a PUBLIC Regional University.  If you think there is equality between median household income of the average Akron student and the average Gonzaga student, you're insane.

2.  Gonzaga is ranked 8th in the nation and reaches that by playing real teams.  If Akron reaches that, then you'll have students find time to show up.

3.  About the same amount of students live on campus at Gonzaga (60%...3100) as do at UA (17%...3230).

4.  Gonzaga is regularly highly ranked, and in the NCAA D-I bracket.  Akron is not.

5.  Gonzaga puts students in the FRONT.  Akron puts students in the back.

6.  Gonzaga looks to put effort into their home games.  Akron does not.

7.  Gonzaga looks like it has built and maintained a culture.  Akron has not.

Basically everything you said in this post is a false equivalency.

6 hours ago, mivid12 said:

zips will never win  ncaa tourney game under dambrot...

Dan Dickau sure disagrees with you.  The link is still up at http://www.wccsports.com/thew.tv

Click Akron at Gonzaga and move to the 1:55 mark.  Dickau (a member of the Bill Walton double/double club btw) has something to say about that.  FWIW the "club" is making 1st Team Top 5 AP All American and First Team Top 5 Academic All American in the same season.  Walton did it three times.  Dickau and Olynyk have done it for Gonzaga.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoZags said:

Dan Dickau sure disagrees with you.  The link is still up at http://www.wccsports.com/thew.tv

Click Akron at Gonzaga and move to the 1:55 mark.  Dickau (a member of the Bill Walton double/double club btw) has something to say about that.  FWIW the "club" is making 1st Team Top 5 AP All American and First Team Top 5 Academic All American in the same season.  Walton did it three times.  Dickau and Olynyk have done it for Gonzaga.

People have been saying that about Akron since ~2009. We know we're as good, if not better, than a lot of those 13-15 seed teams that spring those early round upsets in the tourney or those teams that come out of nowhere to beat a top 15 team in the regular season. We just for whatever reason have fallen short time after time doing it ourselves.

I'm not in the camp of it will never happen because statistically speaking we should be due. I can understand however how Zips have grown tired of hearing guys like Dickau telling us how good we are and that we will be making some noise come tournament time. As someone previously said the Zips are like a bad rendition of the movie Groundhogs Day. Year after year the season ends in disappointment and we fail to take that next step. We've pretty much been stuck in a 7 year rut.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roopride said:

Outside NCAA Tournament anybody havev any data on top 15 team getting beat by a MAC team?

Why does that matter? Gonzaga didn't get to being where it is at by comparing itself to Pepperdine. IPFW knocked off Indiana this year and UT-Arlington knocked off St. Marys. Every year these type of upsets happen.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1