Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

17 minutes ago, Akron1 said:
  • John Loyer - Former Zip, Coached with Huggins, former NBA Interim HC and now scout for LA Clippers

Loyer would be an outstanding choice.  A longtime Huggins asst. at Cincinnati.  You forgot to mention that he also assisted Huggins here, and that he's an Ohio native.  

I'm just not sure if he's maybe been removed from this area, and from college coaching for way too long.  

35 minutes ago, Akron1 said:

Here are a few long shots...

• John Loyer - Former Zip, Coached with Huggins, former NBA Interim HC and now scout for LA Clippers
  • Greg Paulus - Ohio St Asst. and former Duke Player born in Medina (30 years old)
  • Scott Duncan - NBA Asst. and longtime college assistant coach
  • Larry Shyatt  - NBA Asst. and former Wyoming HC (65 years old)

Shyatt and Duncan got Larry Nance, Jr. to go to Wyoming.  We need a Pete Nance to elevate the program.  Got to get the players.

Steve McNees is the guy, but he is just probably too young to be considered.

Would rather have Gent than Paulus off OSU staff.  Bucks have gone down hill ever since he joined staff. Who cares he played at Duke.  A coach is a coach... 

Not sure a move to Akron is better than Wyoming... basketball speaking for Shyatt.

PLEASE tell me you are joking about McNees!?! He is probably the worst Director of Ops I have dealt with at Akron.  0 experience. And is the laughing stock of the section I sit in for home games.  I appreciate the humor. 

Boals would be a good hire. Groce would be a good hire... someone mentioned that French wouldn't like it... that would be a BONUS! Brannon from NKU needs to be looked at too. High Major experience and took NKU to NCAA the 1st time they were even eligible to go.  

Edited by Blackburn
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, K92 said:

Let me get this straight:

John Brannen would leave NKU to come here?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not saying he would... I do not know their $$$ situation.  Cant be all that great being new to the D1 level.  Im not even saying I would leave NKU, but from a pure coaching standpoint, that would be a guy that should be looked at.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

I have seen McNees come up a couple of times now.... What in the world makes people think that his name should be mentioned as a Division 1 basketball coach with ZERO coaching experience.

He certainly possesses the pedigree and the brains to be great HC someday. Like you say though, he probably needs a little more seasoning. He was a very heady player and I like him a lot.

1 hour ago, Akron1 said:

Here are a few long shots...

• Greg Paulus - Ohio St Asst. and former Duke Player born in Medina (30 years old)
  • Scott Duncan - NBA Asst. and longtime college assistant coach
  • Larry Shyatt  - NBA Asst. and former Wyoming HC (65 years old)

Shyatt and Duncan got Larry Nance, Jr. to go to Wyoming.  We need a Pete Nance to elevate the program.  Got to get the players.

Steve McNees is the guy, but he is just probably too young to be considered.

McNees is in Pittsburgh.

13 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

He certainly possesses the pedigree and the brains to be great HC someday. Like you say though, he probably needs a little more seasoning. He was a very heady player and I like him a lot.

He may have been your favorite player or buddy, but heady he was not! I have had to deal with him and he is further from a coach than just a pinch of seasoning.

Edited by Blackburn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UAZip0510 said:

McNees is in Pittsburgh.

I'm hoping, and guessing that the next HC of the Akron Zips will not have recent ties to coach Dambrot. I'm ready to watch some different coaching philosophies at the JAR.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I'm hoping, and guessing that the next HC of the Akron Zips will not have recent ties to coach Dambrot. I'm ready to watch some different coaching philosophies at the JAR.

KD was the only one who coached. I saw Thomas at times talking to players. I have never been, but from I am told, KD was the only one that coached in practice. 

Thomas was the one who brought in players. McFadden may be titled the "recruiting coordinator" but putting down visits on a calendar and actually bringing in players is two different things. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I'm with you. While I didn't want to see Dambrot go, there were some things that were getting stale. This is our opportunity to capitalize on those now

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

Being the son of a HS coach who averaged 12.48 wins per year for 25 years hardly puts you at the top of any list. lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I'm with you. While I didn't want to see Dambrot go, there were some things that were getting stale. This is our opportunity to capitalize on those now

I agree too. We basically knew what we'd be getting every season.

- 20+ wins

- Weak OOC schedule (of which we'd probably lose a few games to cupcakes)

- Start MAC strong and struggle towards the end (split games with Kent, Buffalo, OU, lose some to cupcakes)

- No star players (Zips never had anyone with the ability to take over a game on a consistent basis)

- Lose in MAC championship

- Try to get excited about the NIT or CBI

Maybe I'm being greedy but I think we deserved to finally see the Zips get over that hump. Instead of being let down at the end of every season. KD said he was disappointed after winning 26 & 27 games? How does he think we feel as fans? He can actually control what the team does. We have no choice. We can't just run to Pittsburgh because we're sick of being let down. 

We're in for a rough patch as Zips fans, where we'd probably wish we didn't take those 20-win seasons for granted. But maybe somewhere down the line we'll get that fluke Sweet 16 appearance or get to see one of our players make it to the NBA. Two things that could never happen with KD.

1 hour ago, Blackburn said:

Not saying he would... I do not know their $$$ situation.  Cant be all that great being new to the D1 level.  Im not even saying I would leave NKU, but from a pure coaching standpoint, that would be a guy that should be looked at.

why not??  he can be considered.  Recruits in a tough area....we already have some in roads in the Cincy area.  I think he'd be a longshot.  Wondering if he is looking at the UMASS job.  

10 minutes ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

why not??  he can be considered.  Recruits in a tough area....we already have some in roads in the Cincy area.  I think he'd be a longshot.  Wondering if he is looking at the UMASS job.  

I saw somewhere on Twitter (I know not reliable source) that Dayton was taking a look at him as well.

After thinking about all of this for nearly a day, there is one thing I can't get out of my head and it scares me to death. I do not want to go through all the years of torture again that I experienced when Huggins left Akron and we brought in Coleman Crawford. Those were the worst years of Akron basketball and I never want to experience that again! :john:

• Like 2