Search For The Next Head Coach

LZIp

2 hours ago, Gallucci said:

NCAA Tournament games Groce will win at Akron in the next 5 years I would say 0, and if you were to ask how many MAC Tournaments he will win I would say 1 or 2 tops. 

So basically the same thing we had with KD, no change.  I'll take a chance on no-change basically the same, with the possibility of elevating the program because of something new.  In fact, I think I'm a little more energized/excited about Zips basketball (on the anticipation alone) to see what is in store for the Zips.  

I enjoyed KD's run while he was here, but now that he's officially gone I'm looking forward to something new.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Balsy said:

So basically the same thing we had with KD, no change.  I'll take a chance on no-change basically the same, with the possibility of elevating the program because of something new.  In fact, I think I'm a little more energized/excited about Zips basketball (on the anticipation alone) to see what is in store for the Zips.  

I enjoyed KD's run while he was here, but now that he's officially gone I'm looking forward to something new.

100%.   

6 hours ago, Gallucci said:

What is uneducated about it? All I have said about Groce is that for those of you expecting NCAA tournament wins you might want to dial it back

NCAA tournament wins are what we SHOULD be expecting when we hire a new coach.  Otherwise, why hire him?  Will it happen?  That remains to be seen, but if we want to move forward as a program, we should be setting our sights higher.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

So, how many players getting arrested are you guys willing to tolerate per season? If it's anything less than two, you might end up disappointed

Tolerate?  I look forward to it.  The season is boring if you don't have multiple suspended players for different games.

14 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

So Zach used the Google to find something else not to like about Groce. How many guys were arrested while he coached OU?

Armon Bassett, right off the top of my head. But more relevant is the five arrests his players had while he at Illinois. If anything, the problem has increased over time. The only thing stopping me from thinking it will continue to increase is that it's already at such a high level that it would be difficult to do much worse.

Edited by ZachTheZip

4 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Armon Bassett, right off the top of my head. But more relevant is the five arrests his players had while he at Illinois. If anything, the problem has increased over time. The only thing stopping me from thinking it will continue to increase is that it's already at such a high level that it would be difficult to do much worse.

I happen to think our players on the roster are of high character and am offended that you think they are going to get arrested/into trouble simply because we have a new coach.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I happen to think our players on the roster are of high character and am offended that you think they are going to get arrested/into trouble simply because we have a new coach.

Never said that the current players would get arrested. But Groce has a lot of holes to fill on the roster, and the ability to stay out of jail is clearly not a priority in his recruiting strategy.

14 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

For part two of our exercise, how many Akron players were arrested under KD?

41 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

So, how many players getting arrested are you guys willing to tolerate per season? If it's anything less than two, you might end up disappointed

Screen-Shot-2015-06-30-at-5.14.10-PM.png

Boyza vil be boys.

It's funny we're talking about this because earlier today, I sent this to a few people:

"If someone would have told me after the 2012 MAC Championship game, that in 5 years Dambrot would leave for Duquesne and Groce would be the next Akron coach, I would have told you 'Who's your dealer?"

A couple of them answered back: "Those people would say that their dealer is Alex Abreu" :tomato:

• Like 1