Game 10—Zips @ Red Hawks

Captain Kangaroo

13 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

This game has me scared to death. I agree with many on this board that to win we have to run the ball effectively. To me, therein lies the problem. Our line just does not run block well. They are in the lower half of the MAC in getting running yardage when needed. I also do not have any confidence that Milwee can call the right plays that will keep Miami off balance knowing that we have to run it to win it. I don't think Miami is a better team when we are playing to our potential. I hope TB and staff have the boys prepared and focused. We will need it, especially if we have trouble passing and Miami can focus on our running game.

I'm gonna go back to something Detweiler said after the UB game.His observation was that when the coaches had the O-Line down in the 3-point stance (instead up in the 2-point) the running game with Sands carrying got better. He said the O-Line was getting a better initial surge into the D-Line than when they were standing up. I didn't really notice. But,if that was accurate you have to hope there was more emphasis on that in prep for the Miami game.

2 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

I'm gonna go back to something Detweiler said after the UB game.His observation was that when the coaches had the O-Line down in the 3-point stance (instead up in the 2-point) the running game with Sands carrying got better. He said the O-Line was getting a better initial surge into the D-Line than when they were standing up. I didn't really notice. But,if that was accurate you have to hope there was more emphasis on that in prep for the Miami game.

Depends. I'm only for it if they do it all the time. Obviously run blocking when you have the ability to shoot out of a 3 point stance is better, but if you are only going to a 3 point stance when you are running the ball....then well....you are telling the other team what you're doing.

Edited by LZIp

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I didn't notice that. If true, I think I'd rather try to pass-block out of a 3-point stance than run-block out of a 2-point stance. 

Pass blocking out of a 3 point stance is much easier than run blocking out of a 2.  Anyone who doesn't think so, try it in the back yard with your friends.

• Like 4

I remember talking to Travis Switzer's dad about his frustration with the 2 point stance because we weren't even getting down in a 3 point on the goal line.  Hell, on the goal line, it's not a bad thing to have the offensive line get down in a 4 point stance if you want.

• Like 1

Morgan run for nine yards between the tackle and guard.

3_001_2017.jpg

Pass play to TW's left. The one 8 bobbled and almost caught in the end zone. 

4_001_2017.jpg

Pass play out of the end zone to 3.

5_001_2017.jpg

Run play Morgan off tackle right. 

6_001_2017.jpg

I could post more, but I think you get the idea, no matter run or pass, tackle up, guard down, at least for the BSU game. I'll keep a better eye out Tuesday. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K92 said:

Pass blocking out of a 3 point stance is much easier than run blocking out of a 2.  Anyone who doesn't think so, try it in the back yard with your friends.

Pass blocking out of a 3 pt stance when one has a speedy DE to contend with can be daunting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Pass blocking out of a 3 pt stance when one has a speedy DE to contend with can be daunting!

Tackles are on an island if there isn't a TE to at least chip that DE on their way by, that is for sure.  A team that passes all the time cheats that OT as far off the line of scrimmage as possible also.  Personally, I see no reason for OGs to ever be in a 2 point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Morgan run for nine yards between the tackle and guard.

3_001_2017.jpg

Pass play to TW's left. The one 8 bobbled and almost caught in the end zone. 

4_001_2017.jpg

Pass play out of the end zone to 3.

5_001_2017.jpg

Run play Morgan off tackle right. 

6_001_2017.jpg

I could post more, but I think you get the idea, no matter run or pass, tackle up, guard down, at least for the BSU game. I'll keep a better eye out Tuesday. 

Guards were up in the past.  I wonder if our tackles get down on the goalline?

2 hours ago, K92 said:

Line play is not as down and dirty as it used to be.  Does anyone remember Dave Butz' earhole?  There used to be head knocking every play.

Tried to find a pic of Dave's earhole but couldn't.  All of the paint was gone around it.  He was a guy who used his head as a weapon on every play.

EPSON019_20141023403.jpg

You can see a little bit on this card how beat to crap his helmet was.

3235-379Fr.jpg

Try as I may to find some still pics of our guards up, I couldn't.  For some reason, old game pics are not archived on gozips.com.  If you go back and look at videos of the Zips on youtube, you can see how often the guards were up.  As an offensive guard, try drive blocking a powerful, squatty DT out of a 2 point.  You are gonna get your lunch et.

4 hours ago, K92 said:

I remember talking to Travis Switzer's dad about his frustration with the 2 point stance because we weren't even getting down in a 3 point on the goal line.  Hell, on the goal line, it's not a bad thing to have the offensive line get down in a 4 point stance if you want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of being down low at the snap is to get better leverage to move defenders for power running plays?

I agree with you that they should therefore be as low as possible at the goal line.  And maybe in plenty of other various instances too.  I don't know why they'd ever be standing so much, other than obvious passing situations.  

15 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole idea of being down low at the snap is to get better leverage to move defenders for power running plays?

I agree with you that they should therefore be as low as possible at the goal line.  And maybe in plenty of other various instances too.  I don't know why they'd ever be standing so much, other than obvious passing situations.  

Yup.

DISZJuiUEAEkdj2.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

Depends. I'm only for it if they do it all the time. Obviously run blocking when you have the ability to shoot out of a 3 point stance is better, but if you are only going to a 3 point stance when you are running the ball....then well....you are telling the other team what you're doing.

Teams passed with the O-line in the 3-point for decades. The 2-point became more popular with the advent of spread offenses. You don't have to run every time out of the 3. BUT,and this is a big 'but' so to speak, this is where your OC and HC have to be more creative than we have seen most of the time from Milwee and Bowden. Give the O-Line a chance. Personally I would like to see more real play action with Woodson under center. But,thats not gonna happen at this point with these two calling plays. At least give the O-Line some advantage when you want to run. They need to concentrate on the run more especially to give the D a blow. 

• Like 1

Very good points. However we do it the OL must improve its run blocking to win more games. If these starting five can run block then our coaching has got to find a way to unleash their potential. So far we have under-performed to the point of being pathetic. If the linemen have any pride then the coaches have got to let them show what they can do. I believe they can do much. much better.

I believe Brandon Council is a R-Fr. He has had a lot of PT and seems to be improving each week. 

Also, I always wonder if Sands is really that good or if he is catching defenses off guard because they are not used to him. I tend to believe he is really that good. A back with moves that can help the offensive line makes us better no matter what play we run in that regard.

Edited by zipsoutsider

I know the MAC isn't the most glamorous, or high powered conference, but it just occurred to me how robbed I feel with this No-Saturday-MAC-games scenario...We didn't play today, nor did any MAC teams, but it seems like EVERYBODY ELSE did, and we missed out on the Saturday Football Experience, and won't get it again until 2018.  I miss it.

• Like 4