Game 3—Dayton Flyers

Zipmeister

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Pleasantly surprised to go into the half with the lead. Utomi balling. Need to minimize Baby Greek's impact on the game. If we can do that, I think we win.

Unfortunately, watching the game was not an option for me tonight. I was following the box score anyway so I know we were up 5 at the half. LZip what is the real name of Baby Greek? He's their big man correct? And was he a load tonight? Thanks.

Edited by Illini Zip

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Little tough on the line tonight, but it's the first away game.   Team keeps it's cool.

Hey NWAkron,

I agree 56% from the line isn't great, even for being on the road. The one positive thing there is we got one more attempt from line then Dayton. And that's good to see for being on the road. 

The stat I don't like is 7 pt for 49 combined minutes at the point. You need more production out of Duvivier and Cotton to keep pressure on their defense. Again, I didn't get to watch it.  Duvivier was 0 for 5 from the arch. Were those shots open looks or mostly contested?

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Turns out I am wrong. Leaving all of these guys open for 3s seems to be what is costing us.

I noticed that before the end-of-game junk minutes Dayton had their 3 pt% at around 45-46%. That's too high. I have seen this before. This defensive system takes time to gel. Even though Groce plays man-to-man defense, it's still an aggressive team defense. Once the initial defender flys out at his shooter others will rotate and cover until that player gets back into position. Sometimes with this defense you will end up with bad mismatches if the possession goes long enough. Like a small point guard trying to guard a center. But it's about creating constant pressure and playing the odds. They are still a work in progress that's all. Groce will be on them for it.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 2

Duvivier missed a lot of open threes and his made 3 was a bank shot.  Most of this 3 pointers were not close.  However, I  liked the way he plays defense.  He keeps his man in front of him and fights off the picks.  I still prefer him over any of the guards we had last year based on his physical play.

The team is very disciplined on their shot selection except for Ivey.  He forced up some shots and shot 4 for 14 including 1 for 5 from 3 point area.  HOwever, he led the team with 7 rebounds and had some nice assists.  He is not getting many easy shots like last year.  He needs to stop pressing and let the game come to him.  

Poke went 4 for 4 from the field, Mr. offense!  However, he only had 2 rebounds.  Somebody needs to teach him to box out and use his body to get position for a rebound.  He gets pushed around under the boards.  Zeke was the same way his first couple of years.  Great shot blocker but not very strong on the boards.  

Utomi had a strong game but did not make any shots when we needed them in the second half.  

Did anybody else notice we had 2 inbounds plays where we scored easy baskets.  I haven't seen that in many years.  

This team will only get better.   Go Zips!!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

The Zips shot well, out-quicked and out- jumped the Flyers taking the crowd out of the game in the first half.

In the second half none of that happened, but this team has potential. 

Add a couple of bigs next year and things could really get interesting.

Akron outplayed Dayton for the first three minutes or so, and maybe the last 5 minutes of the first half.  Other than that, the Davises were in command!  But we will only have a couple games vs teams as athletic as this one, so I'm impressed that this team can compete in just about every game.  And we might evan have a chance against a possibly top-ten USC Trojans team on 12/24... Keep the faith.

11 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Ivey took us out of this game I feel. He had some wild ball handling and shots when we needed controlled possessions. He needs to find his role on this team. 

I've been seeing a lot of negative comments about Ivey, but this one was really on the money.  

He's become a different player now that he needs to do more.  It seems that he may not be equipped to be a featured player who can make things happen on his own.  I'd bet that he'd really settle down and start producing if he could "mentally" take himself back to last year, where he was a very secondary option.    

11 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Kostelac may be a project. 

May be? It's unfortunate, because we really could use someone like him right now.  I addressed this a couple of weeks ago.    

Ivey was much better at making things happen off the ball last year. I think that aspect of his game and roll will come back as chemistry is built. 

I was surprised to see multiple defenses thrown at Dayton. I think Groce played a 2-3 zone, man to man, and even 1-3-1 at one point. 

The difference in the game was their most experience player (Jordan Davis I believe) outplayed our most experienced player (Ivey).

Dayton did a good job of shutting down Utomi in the second half. 

2 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

You're right.  That's when everything fell apart.    Here's what needs to happen.  

Someone else on this team who has the shooting ability and mentality of a point scorer will need to come forward.  My feeling is that this will have to be Patton, or possibly Parrish.  The coaches probably also already see that Patton has that makeup, and that's why he remains in the starting lineup right now.  There's just no telling when/if that will happen this season. 

16 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

Ivey was much better at making things happen off the ball last year. I think that aspect of his game and roll will come back as chemistry is built. 

Yes he was.  But, I don't think you'll find that it's a chemistry problem with his teammates.  There was no pressure on him last year, being on a team where he didn't have to carry much of any of the scoring burden.   He's asking himself to do so much more offensively right now, and I think he's probably reaching beyond his ability.  I love the guy, and I think he can do a lot to help a basketball team, but taking nearly 2 times as many field goal attempts as anyone else on this team (like last night) probably isn't going to be our best recipe for a good offensive night.  

Bench player is the best role for him?  Maybe.  But I'd also hate to lose some of the other things he can do out there.  In particular, he's tied with Poke for 2nd on the team in rebounds right now.  There's just not enough capable people to get things done right now.  

But, what I would like to see is Ivey taking more like 6-8 field goal attempts per game, and make them quality opportunities.   I think that's more in line with what he's able of handling offensively.  You can't have a guy taking so many shots (2nd in FG attempts) when he's shooting 24% from the field.  

• Like 1

If Malcolm had gotten hot, it would have lessened the pressure on JImond.   Jimond seemed to fall back into what the Zips would do last year.  As we've seen before in our teams and our opponents, when you only have one player hot from 3, the others have to press to make something happen. (I have a firm grasp of the obvious) They posted that "21+wins" graphic last night. I don't think hitting that is a Groce priority this year.

Edited by NWAkron

3 hours ago, lilroodude said:

I was surprised to see multiple defenses thrown at Dayton. I think Groce played a 2-3 zone, man to man, and even 1-3-1 at one point. 

The difference in the game was their most experience player (Jordan Davis I believe) outplayed our most experienced player (Ivey).

Freshman Jordon Davis does have 4 years of high school experience.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Akron outplayed Dayton for the first three minutes or so, and maybe the last 5 minutes of the first half.  Other than that, the Davises were in command!  But we will only have a couple games vs teams as athletic as this one, so I'm impressed that this team can compete in just about every game.  And we might evan have a chance against a possibly top-ten USC Trojans team on 12/24... Keep the faith.

I must have missed the part where the Davises were in command.

19:39                     Darrell Davis missed Three Point Jumper.             0 - 0       

19:39                     Emmanuel Olojakpoke Defensive Rebound.       0 - 0       

19:22                     Daniel Utomi missed Three Point Jumper.            0 - 0       

19:22                     Akron Offensive Rebound.          0 - 0       

19:07                     Malcolm Duvivier missed Three Point Jumper.   0 - 0       

19:07                     Daniel Utomi Offensive Rebound.            0 - 0       

18:55                     Torrey Patton made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Malcolm Duvivier.                3 - 0       

18:21                     Jordan Davis Turnover.  3 - 0       

18:05                     Emmanuel Olojakpoke made Jumper. Assisted by Daniel Utomi.               5 - 0       

17:43                     Foul on Jimond Ivey.      5 - 0       

17:35                     John Crosby Turnover.  5 - 0       

17:33                     Malcolm Duvivier Steal. 5 - 0       

17:09                     Daniel Utomi made Jumper. Assisted by Malcolm Duvivier.          7 - 0       

16:56                     Josh Cunningham made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Jordan Davis.  7 - 3       

16:27                     Malcolm Duvivier missed Jumper.            7 - 3       

16:27                     Kostas Antetokounmpo Block.   7 - 3       

16:24                     John Crosby Defensive Rebound.             7 - 3       

16:22                     Kostas Antetokounmpo made Layup. Assisted by John Crosby.  7 - 5       

15:53                     Torrey Patton missed Jumper.   7 - 5       

15:53                     Kostas Antetokounmpo Block.   7 - 5       

15:53                     Akron Offensive Rebound.          7 - 5       

15:53                     Official TV Timeout          7 - 5       

15:52                     Foul on Kostas Antetokounmpo.              7 - 5       

15:52                     Jaden Sayles made Free Throw.                8 - 5       

15:52                     Jaden Sayles made Free Throw.                9 - 5       

15:23                     Josh Cunningham Turnover.       9 - 5       

14:51                     Virshon Cotton missed Jumper.                9 - 5       

14:51                     John Crosby Defensive Rebound.             9 - 5       

14:43                     Foul on Eric Parrish.         9 - 5       

14:43                     John Crosby made Free Throw. 9 - 6       

14:43                     John Crosby missed Free Throw.              9 - 6       

14:43                     Eric Parrish Defensive Rebound.               9 - 6       

14:23                     Jimond Ivey Turnover.   9 - 6       

14:22                     Kostas Antetokounmpo Steal.   9 - 6       

14:16                     Kostas Antetokounmpo made Jumper. Assisted by Darrell Davis.              9 - 8       

14:16                     Foul on Daniel Utomi.    9 - 8       

14:16                     Kostas Antetokounmpo made Free Throw.         9 - 9       

14:07                     Malcolm Duvivier Turnover.        9 - 9       

13:46                     Jordan Davis missed Three Point Jumper.             9 - 9       

13:46                     Eric Parrish Defensive Rebound.               9 - 9       

13:27                     Virshon Cotton missed Jumper.                9 - 9       

13:27                     Jordan Davis Defensive Rebound.            9 - 9       

13:17                     Josh Cunningham made Layup. Assisted by Matej Svoboda.        9 - 11    

12:56                     Malcolm Duvivier Turnover.        9 - 11    

12:53                     Jalen Crutcher Steal.       9 - 11    

12:47                     Darrell Davis missed Jumper.      9 - 11    

12:47                     Matej Svoboda Offensive Rebound.       9 - 11    

12:43                     Matej Svoboda made Jumper.   9 - 13    

12:43                     Akron Timeout  9 - 13    

12:23                     Foul on Matej Svoboda.                9 - 13    

12:23                     Malcolm Duvivier made Free Throw.       10 - 13  

12:23                     Malcolm Duvivier missed Free Throw.    10 - 13  

12:23                     Darrell Davis Defensive Rebound.            10 - 13  

12:11                     Matej Svoboda made Jumper. Assisted by Jalen Crutcher.           10 - 15  

11:52                     Jimond Ivey made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Malcolm Duvivier.   13 - 15  

11:34                     Darrell Davis missed Layup.         13 - 15  

11:34                     Josh Cunningham Offensive Rebound.  13 - 15  

11:32                     Foul on Emmanuel Olojakpoke. 13 - 15  

11:32                     Official TV Timeout          13 - 15  

11:32                     Josh Cunningham missed Free Throw.   13 - 15  

11:32                     Dayton Deadball Team Rebound.             13 - 15  

11:32                     Josh Cunningham made Free Throw.      13 - 16  

11:12                     Daniel Utomi Offensive Rebound.            13 - 16  

11:12                     Daniel Utomi missed Jumper.     13 - 16  

11:06                     Emmanuel Olojakpoke made Jumper. Assisted by Daniel Utomi.               15 - 16  

10:45                     Kostas Antetokounmpo Turnover.           15 - 16  

10:28                     Jimond Ivey made Jumper.         17 - 16  

10:12                     Jordan Davis made Jumper.        17 - 18  

10:12                     Foul on Malcolm Duvivier.            17 - 18  

10:06                     Jalen Crutcher missed Three Point Jumper.         17 - 18  

10:06                     Jalen Crutcher Offensive Rebound.         17 - 18  

9:52                        Matej Svoboda missed Three Point Jumper.       17 - 18  

9:52                        Akron Defensive Rebound.         17 - 18  

9:41                        Jimond Ivey missed Three Point Jumper.              17 - 18  

9:41                        Darrell Davis Defensive Rebound.            17 - 18  

9:18                        Kostas Antetokounmpo Turnover.           17 - 18  

8:59                        Jimond Ivey missed Jumper.       17 - 18  

8:59                        Josh Cunningham Defensive Rebound.  17 - 18  

8:45                        Jalen Crutcher missed Jumper.  17 - 18  

8:45                        Kostas Antetokounmpo Offensive Rebound.      17 - 18  

8:42                        Kostas Antetokounmpo missed Two Point Tip Shot.        17 - 18  

8:42                        Josh Cunningham Offensive Rebound.  17 - 18  

8:41                        Foul on Mark Kostelac.  17 - 18  

8:41                        Josh Cunningham made Free Throw.      17 - 19  

8:41                        Josh Cunningham missed Free Throw.   17 - 19  

8:41                        Jimond Ivey Defensive Rebound.             17 - 19  

8:30                        Eric Parrish made Jumper. Assisted by Jimond Ivey.         19 - 19  

8:01                        John Crosby missed Jumper.      19 - 19  

8:01                        Jimond Ivey Defensive Rebound.             19 - 19  

7:53                        Malcolm Duvivier missed Three Point Jumper.   19 - 19  

7:53                        John Crosby Defensive Rebound.             19 - 19  

7:45                        John Crosby made Jumper.         19 - 21  

7:27                        Malcolm Duvivier missed Three Point Jumper.   19 - 21  

7:27                        Matej Svoboda Defensive Rebound.      19 - 21  

7:14                        Matej Svoboda missed Jumper.                19 - 21  

7:14                        Daniel Utomi Defensive Rebound.           19 - 21  

7:13                        Foul on Josh Cunningham.           19 - 21  

7:13                        Official TV Timeout          19 - 21  

7:12                        Official TV Timeout          19 - 21  

6:58                        Daniel Utomi made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Malcolm Duvivier. 22 - 21  

6:36                        Kostas Antetokounmpo made Dunk. Assisted by Jalen Crutcher.               22 - 23  

6:19                        Virshon Cotton Turnover.            22 - 23  

6:03                        Josh Cunningham missed Jumper.           22 - 23  

6:03                        Emmanuel Olojakpoke Defensive Rebound.       22 - 23  

5:58                        Eric Parrish missed Jumper.         22 - 23  

5:58                        Josh Cunningham Defensive Rebound.  22 - 23  

5:33                        Kostas Antetokounmpo made Layup. Assisted by Matej Svoboda.           22 - 25  

5:07                        Foul on Kostas Antetokounmpo.              22 - 25  

5:07                        Emmanuel Olojakpoke missed Free Throw.         22 - 25  

5:07                        Akron Deadball Team Rebound.                22 - 25  

5:07                        Emmanuel Olojakpoke missed Free Throw.         22 - 25  

5:07                        Matej Svoboda Defensive Rebound.      22 - 25  

4:57                        Josh Cunningham missed Three Point Jumper.   22 - 25  

4:57                        Eric Parrish Defensive Rebound.               22 - 25  

4:46                        Emmanuel Olojakpoke made Dunk. Assisted by Malcolm Duvivier.           24 - 25  

4:23                        Josh Cunningham made Dunk. Assisted by John Crosby.                24 - 27  

3:53                        Jimond Ivey missed Three Point Jumper.              24 - 27  

3:53                        Josh Cunningham Defensive Rebound.  24 - 27  

3:27                        Matej Svoboda made Layup. Assisted by John Crosby.   24 - 29  

3:27                        Official TV Timeout          24 - 29  

3:17                        Daniel Utomi made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Malcolm Duvivier. 27 - 29  

3:04                        John Crosby Turnover.  27 - 29  

3:01                        Foul on John Crosby.      27 - 29  

2:40                        Daniel Utomi made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Torrey Patton.        30 - 29  

2:25                        Matej Svoboda missed Three Point Jumper.       30 - 29  

2:25                        Jimond Ivey Defensive Rebound.             30 - 29  

2:18                        Foul on Matej Svoboda.                30 - 29  

2:17                        Jaden Sayles made Layup. Assisted by Jimond Ivey.         32 - 29  

2:17                        Foul on Matej Svoboda.                32 - 29  

2:17                        Jaden Sayles missed Free Throw.             32 - 29  

2:17                        Josh Cunningham Defensive Rebound.  32 - 29  

1:57                        Foul on Malcolm Duvivier.            32 - 29  

1:57                        Josh Cunningham missed Free Throw.   32 - 29  

1:57                        Daniel Utomi Defensive Rebound.           32 - 29  

1:45                        Jaden Sayles made Jumper. Assisted by Torrey Patton.  34 - 29  

1:24                        Jordan Davis missed Jumper.      34 - 29  

1:24                        Jimond Ivey Defensive Rebound.             34 - 29  

1:17                        Foul on John Crosby.      34 - 29  

1:17                        Jaden Sayles made Free Throw.                35 - 29  

1:17                        Jaden Sayles missed Free Throw.             35 - 29  

1:17                        Josh Cunningham Defensive Rebound.  35 - 29  

1:00                        Darrell Davis Turnover.  35 - 29  

0:57                        Torrey Patton Steal.        35 - 29  

0:45                        Jaden Sayles made Jumper. Assisted by Jimond Ivey.     37 - 29  

0:42                        Dayton Timeout               37 - 29  

0:18                        Matej Svoboda made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Jalen Crutcher.   37 - 32  

0:01                        Daniel Utomi missed Three Point Jumper.            37 - 32  

0:01                        Josh Cunningham Defensive Rebound.  37 - 32  

0:00                        End of 1st half   37 - 32

Edited by Zipmeister

15 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Unfortunately, watching the game was not an option for me tonight. I was following the box score anyway so I know we were up 5 at the half. LZip what is the real name of Baby Greek? He's their big man correct? And was he a load tonight? Thanks.

His name is Kostas Antekokpoumpos (not going to look up this spelling, but I think you'll get the point). I believe he was a top 100 ranked player coming out of HS but I believe he had to redshirt last year due to injury. He is the brother of NBA phenom Giannis and the youngest of 4 brothers. While he is a big man (6'11" I believe), he is supposed to be the best shooter in his family. I haven't seen him shoot much in the 2 games I've watched though. He definitely influenced the game when he was in there, but him minutes were limited due to foul trouble. I'm a big fan of Giannis, so thats why I'm intrigued by him.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

His name is Kostas Antekokpoumpos (not going to look up this spelling, but I think you'll get the point). I believe he was a top 100 ranked player coming out of HS but I believe he had to redshirt last year due to injury. He is the brother of NBA phenom Giannis and the youngest of 4 brothers except for his brother who is still in high school. While he is a big man (6'11" I believe), he is supposed to be the best shooter in his family. I haven't seen him shoot much in the 2 games I've watched though. He definitely influenced the game when he was in there, but him minutes were limited due to foul trouble. I'm a big fan of Giannis, so thats why I'm intrigued by him.

fixed it for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

His name is Kostas Antekokpoumpos (not going to look up this spelling, but I think you'll get the point). I believe he was a top 100 ranked player coming out of HS but I believe he had to redshirt last year due to injury. He is the brother of NBA phenom Giannis and the youngest of 4 brothers. While he is a big man (6'11" I believe), he is supposed to be the best shooter in his family. I haven't seen him shoot much in the 2 games I've watched though. He definitely influenced the game when he was in there, but him minutes were limited due to foul trouble. I'm a big fan of Giannis, so thats why I'm intrigued by him.

Thanks LZip!

21 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

I must have missed the part where the Davises were in command.

Oh, well there you go, gettin all statistical on me and stuff!  :D. I hope your statistics agree with mine that show Jordan Darrell Davis #41 as the leading scorer with 26 points.  Cunningham's 20 point/16 rebound night came so easily that I'm sure I wasn't the only one who missed that statistical greatness.  But I lay dibs on being the first to spell Antetokounmpo correctly.  Ta da!  

Seriously (as if I weren't always), I think our team is more able to show it's athleticism in this offense than the 'find-an-open-jumper' scheme we've seen the past few years, such that I predict they will be highly competitive come Mid American Conference season.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Just looking at the box score what stands out is Ivey needs to shoot less and Utomi needs to shoot more. Ivey needs to only shoot when he has a good look and not force. Going down the Kwan path.

Yeah, don't want to have another player who makes me cringe each time he shoots.