Camron Reece

I would guess this means that UA isn't offering seniors an extra year on scholarship.  I believe that I read that while the extra year is "available," the school would have to pay for the extra scholarships out of the general fund.  Cam would've been a good one to have back.

2 hours ago, RowdyZip said:

I would guess this means that UA isn't offering seniors an extra year on scholarship.  I believe that I read that while the extra year is "available," the school would have to pay for the extra scholarships out of the general fund.  Cam would've been a good one to have back.

offering all* seniors

I don't know if it's a money issue moreso than the scholarship limit - guys are coming in on scholarship, guys that were on scholarship have to leave. One way or another

Always seemed like a nice happy go lucky kid and a good teammate.  I assumed he was not returning.  I wish him luck.  That being said, he's exactly the same player that arrived on campus two seasons ago and not one that will be missed significantly on the floor, especially if Bandaogo and Salle develop.

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

offering all* seniors

I don't know if it's a money issue moreso than the scholarship limit - guys are coming in on scholarship, guys that were on scholarship have to leave. One way or another

I thought I had read that teams can go over the limit for next year, but the scholarships had to be paid by the university general fund.  I may be 100% incorrect.  

Either way, wish Cam best of luck.  He certainly provided energy and some huge momentum swings with his patented two-hand slams.  I'm happy for him if he gets another year, as long as it's not in the MAC.

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

I thought I had read that teams can go over the limit for next year, but the scholarships had to be paid by the university general fund.  I may be 100% incorrect.  

Either way, wish Cam best of luck.  He certainly provided energy and some huge momentum swings with his patented two-hand slams.  I'm happy for him if he gets another year, as long as it's not in the MAC.

You were 100% correct.  I was curious about this issue and found the answer.  The Zips could keep the seniors on scholarship but the school would have to fund the extra scholarships.  Based on what we are seeing and Akron's financial situation, I do not believe Akron is willing to fund the added scholarships.  Also, I could see this being a problem if you are an incoming frosh and find out that a senior is staying and playing an extra year it may change how you feel about playing for that school.  Here is a link to the article https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

does anyone know when we will start seeing moves into or out of the transfer portal?  surprised it's only Reece from Akron.  also. not many from the MAC in the portal.  There's a shooting guard from Duke who is available :)

Unfortunately you should also see Jermaine Marshall's name in the portal.