Transfer Portal

John Ward

On 12/14/2021 at 10:56 AM, LZIp said:

I haven't spent enough time thinking about it...but my off the cuff thoughts are how so? There are still the same amount of scholarships available (up to 85 per team). These players transferring may be taking up a spot on a new team, but are opening one on their old team. There's obviously different approaches on how to build a team, but I fail to see how an argument can be made that there are less opportunities for high school kids (if that is indeed the case). Once again, haven't spent much time thinking about it.

In the past, schools were allowed to sign up to 25 athletes per year with the total scholarships staying at 85 max for FBS schools.  With the fifth year injury or red shirt rules, that left many schools not being able to sign 25 athletes (4X25=100) each year.  But, do to attrition, and limited transfers, many schools could sign nearly 25 per year.  

Now, with the transfer portal, there is a large shift in focus to entering the portal and signing transfers, of which there are many more transfers now than in the past.  Now, for example, if a school signs 7 transfers from the portal, that means the most high school signees can be 18 for that year.  Although the total number of scholarships remain the same, this leaves many schools below the 85 total since there are more transfers.  This is the reasoning on why it hurts high school players.  This year, I believe the number is increased to 32 signees as a one time adjustment.  This will allow for the large increase in transfers.  I believe, the total number remains at 85 scholarships. With Joe coming on board and not recruiting early, this may hurt the Zips this year.  I hope this makes sense and helps.  Go Zips!!!

46 minutes ago, bigjim said:

In the past, schools were allowed to sign up to 25 athletes per year with the total scholarships staying at 85 max for FBS schools.  With the fifth year injury or red shirt rules, that left many schools not being able to sign 25 athletes (4X25=100) each year.  But, do to attrition, and limited transfers, many schools could sign nearly 25 per year.  

Now, with the transfer portal, there is a large shift in focus to entering the portal and signing transfers, of which there are many more transfers now than in the past.  Now, for example, if a school signs 7 transfers from the portal, that means the most high school signees can be 18 for that year.  Although the total number of scholarships remain the same, this leaves many schools below the 85 total since there are more transfers.  This is the reasoning on why it hurts high school players.  This year, I believe the number is increased to 32 signees as a one time adjustment.  This will allow for the large increase in transfers.  I believe, the total number remains at 85 scholarships. With Joe coming on board and not recruiting early, this may hurt the Zips this year.  I hope this makes sense and helps.  Go Zips!!!

You are correct if the 7 transfers you are referring to in your example count as initial scholarships.   If the transfer is a junior, senior, or grad transfer, those do not count against the 25 initial scholarships allowed per year by NCAA FBS DIV1.  If the 7 transfers you are referring to are all Juniors or above, you could still offer 25 initial scholarships in addition to offering the transfers as long as you stayed within the 85 limit. 

Edited by Zippyroo

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

NIL money is not supposed to be contingent on attending a school or performance. I understand thats the way it is right now, but the system needs fixed and isn't working the way it was intended, IMO.

Right or wrong it's what it was always going to turn into. A car dealership in Columbus was never going to give money to a kid going to Toledo.

• Like 1

Just like coaches tend to find their level, maybe the transfer portal allows players to do the same thing. After time at a bigger school, maybe the reality is the kid belongs at a G5 school and not P5. The freedom allows the player to reach his full potential. This is a good thing. 

• Like 1

The transfer portal shouldn't hurt HS numbers. Think about it. Player X from School A goes to school B. So school B fills a spot in lieu of recruiting, but now School A has an open spot they wouldn't have had. I think that's all to do with the super seniors coming back for their covid year.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

The transfer portal shouldn't hurt HS numbers. Think about it. Player X from School A goes to school B. So school B fills a spot in lieu of recruiting, but now School A has an open spot they wouldn't have had. I think that's all to do with the super seniors coming back for their covid year.

Your wrong, the ease of entering the portal are kids that quit in the past.  For whatever reason it doesn’t work where your at, you couldn’t transfer without sitting out a year.  Unless you have done it you have no idea how hard of a 16 hour day these guys put in.  A lot of these kids are not there for the education.  That is why 90% of the football team is majoring in Sports something.  So bust your ass to be 4th on depth chart or transfer & bust your ass to sit out a year.  No thanks, I’ll go do something else & make some money.

Absolutely it’s making a difference.  Plus the 4 game red shirt so you can play a guy a little and keep his interest & the free year for Covid has absolutely affected the fringe high school recruit.  The obvious guys no, the guys that get offers from film & reputation, but the guys that rely on camps to prove there ability & D1 body, has been affected badly.

Mark Porter is also a very trusted guy that helps high school athletes for FREE, like they say numbers don’t lie, why else would Ohio be 1/2 of last year D1 recruits?  He is being generous that 2022 still has time.  D1 has moved on to class of 2023.

I do think it will be better in a couple of years as the system adjusts as many will transfer and finally realize it just isn’t meant to be.

Edited by 94zipgrad

We haven't moved on to 2023 yet :)

To me it seems like, the redshirt rule, the one time transfer rule, and the extra year from COVID is affecting HS numbers more than anythign. Kids could always transfer before the portal (Jojo Natson anyone). Its just more visible now...and I'm sure there are more entering, but once again the former mentioned factors seem to be the reason for the log jam.

9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We haven't moved on to 2023 yet :)

To me it seems like, the redshirt rule, the one time transfer rule, and the extra year from COVID is affecting HS numbers more than anythign. Kids could always transfer before the portal (Jojo Natson anyone). Its just more visible now...and I'm sure there are more entering, but once again the former mentioned factors seem to be the reason for the log jam.

The summer before your senior year you have received the offers your gonna receive.  Few D1 offers come out during your senior year.  Now you may not have committed yet but most D1 programs have moved on to 2023 class.  It’s how the system works

Edited by 94zipgrad

COVID is the biggest factor. When you 4 entire classes getting a free year eligibility wise, that's a lot of players not leaving the DI ranks automatically at the end of the year for each class. 

An underlying factor might be the amount of coaching changes this year. With the transfer portal wide open, I'd imagine Moorhead isn't the only one being patient during the early signing period to do a proper roster and transfer portal talent evaluation. It will be interesting to see if the second signing period sees these numbers even out. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

58 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Your wrong, the ease of entering the portal are kids that quit in the past.  For whatever reason it doesn’t work where your at, you couldn’t transfer without sitting out a year.  Unless you have done it you have no idea how hard of a 16 hour day these guys put in.  A lot of these kids are not there for the education.  That is why 90% of the football team is majoring in Sports something.  So bust your ass to be 4th on depth chart or transfer & bust your ass to sit out a year.  No thanks, I’ll go do something else & make some money.

Absolutely it’s making a difference.  Plus the 4 game red shirt so you can play a guy a little and keep his interest & the free year for Covid has absolutely affected the fringe high school recruit.  The obvious guys no, the guys that get offers from film & reputation, but the guys that rely on camps to prove there ability & D1 body, has been affected badly.

Mark Porter is also a very trusted guy that helps high school athletes for FREE, like they say numbers don’t lie, why else would Ohio be 1/2 of last year D1 recruits?  He is being generous that 2022 still has time.  D1 has moved on to class of 2023.

I do think it will be better in a couple of years as the system adjusts as many will transfer and finally realize it just isn’t meant to be.

You failed to explain how the transfer portal is creating less spots for HS recruits.

5 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

You failed to explain how the transfer portal is creating less spots for HS recruits.

Really?  Instead of quitting they now transfer, a lot of players quit, it’s very difficult to sit down on depth chart & to work that hard for no chance to play or sit another year by transferring like it was in the old system.  Now they get 1 free pass to see if they can make it work somewhere else without sitting.

Im telling you they are telling the players everyday at school when the coaches visit that the portal is really affecting high school recruiting.  

9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

The math would say it does not. There are a finite number of scholarships in D1. Some players exit college sports through retirement, going to a lower division or graduation.  This has been the case forever. These open spots can be filled by high school kids or transfer portal kids. The transfer portal kids already were part of a scholarship group somewhere so their movement has no impact on the overall number. High school kids are still necessary to fill the remaining voids. Once the Covid super seniors move on, things will balance out again.

• Like 1

@94zipgrad, you are right.  One number that should be interesting is class make up of rosters.  I wonder what recruiting class compared to actual scholastic class standing would look like.  When Jojo transferred, one had to have graduated to transfer without sitting out a year.  If 1/2 of the D1 prospects in the class of '22 are still available, we should be OK come Groundhog Day.

39 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Really?  Instead of quitting they now transfer, a lot of players quit, it’s very difficult to sit down on depth chart & to work that hard for no chance to play or sit another year by transferring like it was in the old system.  Now they get 1 free pass to see if they can make it work somewhere else without sitting.

Im telling you they are telling the players everyday at school when the coaches visit that the portal is really affecting high school recruiting.  

Right. So when they transfer, the team they transferred from now has a spot to fill, correct? 

51 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Right. So when they transfer, the team they transferred from now has a spot to fill, correct? 

Dude, I’m sorry if I can’t get you to see it, many transfers are guys that quit in past.  I don’t think you have any idea about 125-130 guys on a D1 football program & how it works.

4 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Dude, I’m sorry if I can’t get you to see it, many transfers are guys that quit in past.  I don’t think you have any idea about 125-130 guys on a D1 football program & how it works.

Proof will be in the pudding for the 2023 HS recruiting class.  Let's move on to another topic.  

1 minute ago, Zippyroo said:

Proof will be in the pudding for the 2023 HS recruiting class.  Let's move on to another topic.  

You understand I said it will correct itself, many of the kids that transfer now under the new rule will end up quitting as they won’t make it where they go probably either, D1 football is for the rare athlete.  You have to put yourself through so much physically & mentally with education.  Over the last 5 years we probably gave scholarships to 10 East kids, not 1 on the roster, most never played anywhere, it’s the nature of the beast but 1 free transfer without sitting they will try & see if it works out better at the next stop.  I hope it does but probably won’t