What are you looking for in a Head coach?

LZIp

38 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

In all of the suck that this current staff has brought us in the last three years, I’m just now reminded of that initial staff, a few of which are still around. I believe 2 were poached from a horrid 2-10 Kent team and then Zagorski doesn’t belong in D1. Don’t get me started on Feeney. Gasser, Rodriguez, and the RB coach who left after a couple weeks for Troy whose name escapes me are the only ones who belonged out of the entire staff. Alex Kline is supposed to be the greatest young football mind in college football and he’s a joke. Anyone around this group from the very early stages could see this was a disaster from the start. Too many arrogant John Carroll guys. D3 and arrogant is not a winning combo. 

Come on. This staff had coaches leave for better programs/promotions to Tulsa, Buffalo,Troy, South Alabama, the LA Rams, the Denver Broncos, the Green Bay Packers, and Michigan State. Clearly all of these programs and franchises didn’t see them as a joke or underqualified.

• Like 2

Came across this list of candidates -- thoughts?

Andrew Sowder-Kent State OC

This one is intriguing depending on how much he really runs the offense.

Tyler Stockton-Ball State DC

David Gibbs-UCF DC

Brent Pry-Penn State DC

https://www.sports-teller.com/list-of-candidates-to-replace-tom-arth-at-akron/

Edited by K-Roo
spacing

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Come on. This staff had coaches leave for better programs/promotions to Tulsa, Buffalo,Troy, South Alabama, the LA Rams, the Denver Broncos, the Green Bay Packers, and Michigan State. Clearly all of these programs and franchises didn’t see them as a joke or underqualified.

And AJ Milwee got hired at Alabama and Texas after he was the worst offensive coordinator that Akron has ever had. Those moves don't suggest anything to me that any of them are worth a damn. If you ever talk to people in the game, you know that people who suck get hired all of the time because they either lie or kiss the you know what of who's looking to get a new guy.

Scott Aligo has had a different job nearly every year for the last 8-9 years. I think he was a scout for the Browns a couple of years before they wound up going 0-16. Oh, and he's a massive D-bag. John Cooley, who Akron stole from the mighty 2-10 Kent State Golden Flashes, was hired by his buddy Staley. Wonder where I've heard of Staley wanting an incompetent Akron coach he's buddies with before? Jayden Everett came to Akron after coaching RBs for 1-11 CMU. Now he's with Tulsa who sucks. Felton was fresh out of high school coaching when Arth gave him a raise from his coffee-go-getter job at Tennessee, who also sucked.

A majority of these clowns share the same resume as Arth. Where'd they start and get their most success? John Carroll. And they're riding those relationships as far as they can go. They went 0-12 playing in the worst division top to bottom in the FBS, and 11 of the games were utter embarrassments. I don't want to hear about how wonderful that staff was.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

Came across this list of candidates -- thoughts?

Andrew Sowder-Kent State OC

This one is intriguing depending on how much he really runs the offense.

Tyler Stockton-Ball State DC

David Gibbs-UCF DC

Brent Pry-Penn State DC

https://www.sports-teller.com/list-of-candidates-to-replace-tom-arth-at-akron/

Pry would be awesome if we could umm, pry him away

What the players need right now is HOPE.  They have lost two brutally close games and their head coach in the course of two weeks.  They play their hearts out and nothing good  (such as a win) is coming from it.  It will take unfathomable inspirational skills to come in get these kids excited about the future.   It's going to take a very special person.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

What the players need right now is HOPE.  They have lost two brutally close games and their head coach in the course of two weeks.  They play their hearts out and nothing good  (such as a win) is coming from it.  It will take unfathomable inspirational skills to come in get these kids excited about the future.   It's going to take a very special person.  

Or, a change of scenery. 

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Unfortunately,I think a lot of the young men will be entering the portal as they know the new regime will bring in their own players. The better players will want to go somewhere else for success.  

On 11/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, LoyalZIP said:

And AJ Milwee got hired at Alabama and Texas after he was the worst offensive coordinator that Akron has ever had. Those moves don't suggest anything to me that any of them are worth a damn. If you ever talk to people in the game, you know that people who suck get hired all of the time because they either lie or kiss the you know what of who's looking to get a new guy. 

I feel another point is that just because someone is a bad OC and play caller doesn't mean they're a bad QB coach. Tons of people get promoted to roles that they're either not ready or good at despite being really good at a lessor role. Look at Bill Callahan as a prime example. The dude is 18-25 all-time as a head coach, but is regarded as the best offensive line coach in the NFL.

24 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I'm sure the searching in some form has been going on for a couple of months by now..

I think the search committee is Guthrie and the Prez, and I bet they already have their man.  We could make an announcement at season's end giving the new man a couple weeks to put together his early class.  That early class will leave plenty of room form transfers.  

• Like 1

UCONN Hires Jim Mora @ $1.5 million plus 200K incentives

Nov. 11

UConn: Jim Mora has been hired as the Huskies' head coach, the school announced Thursday. Mora has been out of coaching since his firing at UCLA following a six-year stint as the head coach. He was previously a head coach in the NFL, with a three-year gig at Atlanta (2004-06) and one year in Seattle (2009). Mora and UConn agreed to a five-year deal and he'll be paid $1.5 million in the first year of the agreement. He can earn up to $200,000 in bonuses.

Edited by K-Roo
correct site

22 minutes ago, Ham said:

I think the search committee is Guthrie and the Prez, and I bet they already have their man.  We could make an announcement at season's end giving the new man a couple weeks to put together his early class.  That early class will leave plenty of room form transfers.  

No way Guthrie spends $$ on a search firm.  And the "committee" last time was a disaster.