2021-2022 Zips Women's Basketball

Melissa doesn't coach this team as much as she lets them do what they want, especially Dawson. Dawson forces her shot and under pressure, while going to the hoop, she is a turnover machine if the shot isn't there. The turnovers are horredous and part of every game. When terrible play arises a former coach-mentor of mine said "If it continues you are either coaching it or allowing it. It's your job to correct it and show 'em what you want. It must not continue." Yet every game we see the same crap. Melissa is a great person, but she has yet to show she can coach at the D1 level. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

They are way too Dawson dependent.

That will be corrected next season.  But to rebut 72 Roo, if coach Jackson is so delinquent in coaching her team she wouldn't be one of the favorites for MAC COY.  The team was predicted 12th and is still in fourth after falling behind Buffalo and WMU in the standings.  The season lies in the balance heading into the biggest game of the season on Saturday vs #1 UT.  Beat the Rockettes and we have a good chance of a top-4 finish.  The MAC being what it is, I think the Zips' chances are excellent, though they'll be underdogs -- that's the place the team seems to prefer.  #GoZips!

5 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

That will be corrected next season. 

I hope so. You never really know, as Dawson may just be a ball hog & the team may actually play better as a team without her. But honestly, as far as I can tell, it doesn’t look like this team would be very good at all without Dawson putting up her gaudy numbers.

7 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

That will be corrected next season.  But to rebut 72 Roo, if coach Jackson is so delinquent in coaching her team she wouldn't be one of the favorites for MAC COY.  The team was predicted 12th and is still in fourth after falling behind Buffalo and WMU in the standings.  The season lies in the balance heading into the biggest game of the season on Saturday vs #1 UT.  Beat the Rockettes and we have a good chance of a top-4 finish.  The MAC being what it is, I think the Zips' chances are excellent, though they'll be underdogs -- that's the place the team seems to prefer.  #GoZips!

the team has come a long way.  Dawson can be very explosive.  Last night she made a 3 pointer and then a steal on successive WMU possessions and converted those to points.   The other players also were good at knocking the ball away from the Broncos and getting rebounds.  They can play like the best team in the MAC or play like a high school girls team.  And if you think officiating is questionable in the men's games...I saw many like "WTF" no calls on both ends of the floor.  The Akron guard palmed the ball right in front of the referee and the few people in the blue seats let out a collective gasp when the refs didn't blow the whistle.  They also run all over each other...lots of contact.

7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Zips up 41-36. Another weird women's rule: Zips hit a 3 pointer midway thru 2nd quarter.   It was clearly after the clock expired.  The refs didn't review until half and then took points off the board. 

Everybody knew it was late but the refs. 🙄

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, LoyalZIP said:

What a damn game. I can’t fault them for dropping it, though they had plenty of chances to win. The loss Wednesday hurt a lot more. Still have a couple of games on the 9 seed which is all I care about. Get. To. Cleveland!

The Rockets had a couple big, mean country girls.  Geez.  That one was a tank.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

What a damn game. I can’t fault them for dropping it, though they had plenty of chances to win. The loss Wednesday hurt a lot more. Still have a couple of games on the 9 seed which is all I care about. Get. To. Cleveland!

I certainly agree about Wednesday and they did have their chances today. Toledo's run at the beginning of the 3rd quarter changed the game, though the Zips battled back a bit. Zips really needed one of these two home games to avoid dropping back into the pack. Going up to WMU looks more daunting now.

Edited by ewbrooman1

29 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I certainly agree about Wednesday and they did have their chances today. Toledo's run at the beginning of the 3rd quarter changed the game, though the Zips battled back a bit. Zips really needed one of these two home games to avoid dropping back into the pack. Going up to WMU looks more daunting now.

Western Michigan loses by 13 at home to Miami. Maybe they were still reeling from a treacherous bus ride home from Akron? 😬

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Zips up 41-36. Another weird women's rule: Zips hit a 3 pointer midway thru 2nd quarter.   It was clearly after the clock expired.  The refs didn't review until half and then took points off the board. 

NW - Please explain how you view this as a  "weird women's rule" ?

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Yeah.  It's not a "rule". It was just a poor job by the officials.  They could have looked at it immediately.  Almost certain of that.  Although I didn't see it... 😏

39 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Yeah.  It's not a "rule". It was just a poor job by the officials.  They could have looked at it immediately.  Almost certain of that.  Although I didn't see it... 😏

the refs looked over at the coaches and made that twirling motion with their finger.  they simply chose not to stop play to review.

Since I've never seen this done in a men's game, I thought this was a quirk for officiating women's games that in this situation they allow play to continue.  But maybe it was this officiating crew.

Edited by NWAkron

This was a tremendous game. The Rockets bigs clearly dominated, both in the paint and in rebounds (+20). Yet I was very impressed with the coaching Melissa did. She gave them a chance and it nearly worked. I have been skeptical about her being up to leading a D1 program. Today she showed me she may be growing in the job. I hope so. I think she is a great person and I sincerely hope she can lead this program to conference dominance. We didn't win, but that was one hell of a game. My hat's off to Melissa and the staff.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The Rockets had a couple big, mean country girls.  Geez.  That one was a tank.  

Yep, there're plenty of those types around the MAC.  Bowling Green especially is building a program around them.  Next season Faith Stinson arrives at the JAR from Sheridan HS in Thornville.  6'1, 175+ with D1 power moves inside for a big.  She should see PT in 22-23. And her sister, Jamisyn, a soph was offerred two weeks ago after scoring 28 in the game vs the state's top team, Purcell Marian and Dee Alexander, the top-rated frosh in the nation.

Edited by Z.I.P.
spell check

18 hours ago, NWAkron said:

the refs looked over at the coaches and made that twirling motion with their finger.  they simply chose not to stop play to review.

Since I've never seen this done in a men's game, I thought this was a quirk for officiating women's games that in this situation they allow play to continue.  But maybe it was this officiating crew.

The rule is the same for both men's and women's basketball across all divisions.  That's  why I questioned the sexist comment about "weird women's rule" . The reason for the rule is that previous to this rule change  several years ago, a stop in action after a made basket for a video review when no foul is involved gave an advantage to the team who just made the basket.  If the other team was on a fast break, they were  interrupted for a "2 or 3 point" question that was not a rule violation.  The coach's rules committee recommended the adoption of the rule.  This crew handled it timely and correctly.

36 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

The rule is the same for both men's and women's basketball across all divisions.  That's  why I questioned the sexist comment about "weird women's rule" . The reason for the rule is that previous to this rule change  several years ago, a stop in action after a made basket for a video review when no foul is involved gave an advantage to the team who just made the basket.  If the other team was on a fast break, they were  interrupted for a "2 or 3 point" question that was not a rule violation.  The coach's rules committee recommended the adoption of the rule.  This crew handled it timely and correctly.

sexist?  I'm attending the women's games and I don't see many other of the men's basketball fans at the women's game.  I should have used "different" rather than "weird."  They have different rules and their games are called differently.    

Edited by NWAkron

21 hours ago, ZZZips said:

A little Cross-thread action Interaction:  The Chair of the NCAA Men's BB Rules Committee used to be none other than Keith Dambrot.  Wonder if he's still in that position? Mainly I hope men's play never moves to four quarters.  The stoppage of play breaks up the action unnecessarily!