2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

I guess the thing I’m hung up on is it being the end of the world by cleaning house and starting from scratch

As we've seen in other sports and at other programs, in the era of the Portal, it doesn't necessarily take 3 to 5 years to bring a program back, especially if the new coaching staff have some players who they coach or recruited that might want to make a move.

I guess my point is this: Kest took over a bad program. Fair point. I’m not taking anything away Coach Kest. She did a lot as coach here. We can pick apart any season, any game, at any point. The frustration lies in a program that’s starting to get the recruits. A program that is doing better, statistically, than the programs average over time, and is doing it from a financial advantage. I think we’ve all said we thought giving her one more year to see if the trend would stick, the recruits would come, and key players would stay. 
Maybe the frustration for me is that in the same week we let go of Coach Jackson, and everyone has posted the numerous reasons to justify, the same administration extended the contract of a program that’s 100% worse! I stated earlier that Charles told me in person that he could sell more tickets to WVB if he gave them part of WBB’s budget. Yes I was frustrated with the potential for this season vs the actual performance. I’m upset because that may end up being something we hope for in the future. They’re not going to spend more money on this program. They’re not going to bring in a coach at a higher value. They won’t spend money on a staff and budget like we have now. So where will the players come from? How will the transfer portal help us? Thank god we moved morehead to the middle of the pack for his 2 wins. 

24 minutes ago, Basketballfan1 said:

Maybe the frustration for me is that in the same week we let go of Coach Jackson, and everyone has posted the numerous reasons to justify, the same administration extended the contract of a program that’s 100% worse! I stated earlier that Charles told me in person that he could sell more tickets to WVB if he gave them part of WBB’s budget. 

Like you, i don't like rehashing the past or comparing coaches.  God knows, this board still lives with the ghost of MBB, although, I think that ABJ article this week should finally close that door. 

Are you speaking of the volleyball program when you discuss the contract extension?

I would hope that 95% of folks on her are more Pro-Akron U than Pro-Specific Coach.  Although, we learned when Dambrot left that a good chunk of the fan base didn't give a flying eff about Zips basketball.  They were here for him and left with him along with their seats in the lower bowl.  Shameful conduct.  Sooo I hope that even though many were fond of M Jackson and her accomplishments they will quickly get on board with the next coach.

Guthrie is selling products.  Volleyball could be an attractive and exciting product more so than WBB.  

• Thumbs down 1

If Coach Jackson was one of the most highly touted names in her sport, chose to take a pay cut to come to resurrect Akron, had a promising first season, and then got calls from LSU and South Carolina to come work they’re with less responsibility and more pay, our administration would be stupid to not try to sweeten the pot and extend her. That’s exactly what happened with football. If we’re going to compare what Moorhead is doing with football to the situation here, then I have no more left to say and we will get nowhere. That is insanity at its finest. 

• Like 4

I guess there's plenty of blame to go around, including Guthrie, but it seems like informing the coach that she wasn't going to be renewed was a better option than leaving her hanging.

College sports is a cruel world.  Win and you stay or move on to a more prestigious job or lose and go home.  That's the cold hard reality of that world.  I feel bad for Coach Jackson and wish her well.  With any luck, maybe she'll get a chance someday to prove UA wrong.

15 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I guess there's plenty of blame to go around, including Guthrie, but it seems like informing the coach that she wasn't going to be renewed was a better option than leaving her hanging.

College sports is a cruel world.  Win and you stay or move on to a more prestigious job or lose and go home.  That's the cold hard reality of that world.  I feel bad for Coach Jackson and wish her well.  With any luck, maybe she'll get a chance someday to prove UA wrong.

The one interesting point no one has added is that the general (non-ZipsNation reading) public will find out in about July or August when they see a small feature on the web mentioning that someplace like IUPU (just pulling a name out of my head 😉) has just named Melissa Jackson as their new WBB coach and they'll say... "Hey!  I thought she was Akron's coach!"  Ahem.

43 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

The one interesting point no one has added is that the general (non-ZipsNation reading) public will find out in about July or August when they see a small feature on the web mentioning that someplace like IUPU (just pulling a name out of my head 😉) has just named Melissa Jackson as their new WBB coach and they'll say... "Hey!  I thought she was Akron's coach!"  Ahem.

You mean you don't think they'll give it the same exposure as the sports page front story today on the Kent game? 😉 I certainly don't know what coach Jackson will do, but I wonder if she might want take a year off after 15 years and her impending arrival and two young boys already. Maybe not. All the power to her whatever she wants to do, she's certainly earned it.

Edited by ewbrooman1

I don't think it's too early to start playing the game of "Who's Next".  So, here goes. An obvious place to look is C-Guth's last location, home of the Green Bay Phoenix -- a long time mid-major power. Their HC, Kevin Borseth is in his late 60s and has over 700 career wins in 35+ seasons. His 2nd in command is Megan Vogel, who is surely waiting out her time till she can climb into the HC box. 3rd is Sarah Bronk, who's only experience outside Green Bay is high school jobs.  

I'm a follower and fan of Florida Gulf Coast, who's HC Karl Smesko hails from Hudson. Karl's def not leaving the comfort of Fort Meyers, even for a SEC or ACC job. But his Associate HC is a promising young gal, Chelsea Lyles who could potentially be within reach with the right package.  

Sorry to see this thread and this season be taken over so prematurely by a coaching change, but I'm not the one in charge... 😒

• Like 2

This was a very brave effort and the women seemed to have "rebounded" from last week's let-down.  They played tough and didn't back down.  I do have to say though that Camp hasn't had her head in the game for quite a while now.

I guess it's good that the Zips played Toledo tough at home, but frankly they should be competitive for every home game. I'm not much into moral victories at home. The women have lost 8 of their last 10 MAC games. They still haven't beaten a MAC team with a winning record and are now in a 4 way tie for the 5 thru 8 spot. They really need to beat Miami on Saturday to keep Cleveland chances alive before heading to Buffalo and CMU to end the regular season. Those should be winnable games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Great point. Early in MAC play, I thought to myself that Camp saved coach's job. That went downhill quickly.

I also thought our team was lucky to have a true point when Camp came in. It didn't take much time to see that discipline was not her strong suit. As the season went on she played more and more out of control and her TO's mounted up. MJ was faced with a huge dilemma, play Camp and tolerate her or turn to Thorpe, who proved to be Inadequate for D1 play. I wish the staff could have coached up both of them but we all see how that has gone. Neither seemed capable of improving.

• Like 1