2022-23 College Football Off-Season Tracker

Let'sGoZips94

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

They don't need to leave the NCAA as the NCAA doesn't really receive any of the football revenue anyways. Without the G5 schools like Ole Miss, Rutgers, Boston College, etc would instantly become annual 1-3 win teams.

The value the G5 has to the P5 is it allows their middle and bottom tier schools to pad their win total enough to keep fans interested. Perennially winning 1-2 games a season kills a fan base. We've witnessed that first hand at Akron. The Big 10, SEC, etc don't want that for their fans. They would rather just keep throwing peanuts at the G5 to keep their fans engaged.

Bingo. 

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

They would rather just keep throwing peanuts at the G5 to keep their fans engaged.

Peanuts indeed. Peanuts are what G5 games pay for P5 schools. The money is in TV regardless of who is watching. The TV model is not for the fan but the casual football fan. 

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Peanuts for P5 schools, yes. However they're massive checks for G5s.

They are large checks. However, they still don't come close to covering operating costs for G5 schools and mostly the taxpayers pick up the rest. I'm OK with this as long as everyone recognizes G5 athletic departments are actually public services and not businesses. 

17 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Bobby Petrino is back to the FBS level as OC for UNLV. UNLV hired Barry Odom as HC. Team to watch in the Mountain West in the coming years.

I live in a Mountain West football city and believe me, we've been hearing that story about the Ninth Isle team for over a decade. They're still trying to recover from hiring the Bishop Gorman high school coach a while back, but the new connection with an (almost?) NFL franchise and America's nicest stadium allows more hype than ever.  They used to fill the Silver Bowl with Randall Cunningham, but haven't had success since.

13 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

I live in a Mountain West football city and believe me, we've been hearing that story about the Ninth Isle team for over a decade. They're still trying to recover from hiring the Bishop Gorman high school coach a while back, but the new connection with an (almost?) NFL franchise and America's nicest stadium allows more hype than ever.  They used to fill the Silver Bowl with Randall Cunningham, but haven't had success since.

I honestly have never paid much attention to UNLV football. What catches my attention is where certain coaches/coaching staffs go. Recruiting will tell the tale. If I was a betting man, I wouldn’t be betting against this staff being successful. But we will see.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Athletics is really just a marketing arm and community engagement tool for universities. 

It's a good place to start and I'm ok with it. I prefer to think athletics should benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general community around the university. 

Even with the decommits OSU still has the #5 class in the country. The thing is even though OSU has one of the larger chests of cash to throw around, they're not going to be able to hold onto everyone. The same is true for all schools.

It's like in MLB where teams like the Yankees or Dodgers is able to throw around huge sums of money that other teams can't compete with, but that doesn't stop a team like the Guardians from signing Jose Ramirez or Twins a Carlos Correa. Those smaller payroll teams can still afford a star or two.

No school has infinite NIL money so if a alumni endowment group, like say Nebraska or Minnesota, prioritizes a recruit they still have enough money to pluck some away.

28 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Even with the decommits OSU still has the #5 class in the country. The thing is even though OSU has one of the larger chests of cash to throw around, they're not going to be able to hold onto everyone. The same is true for all schools.

It's like in MLB where teams like the Yankees or Dodgers is able to throw around huge sums of money that other teams can't compete with, but that doesn't stop a team like the Guardians from signing Jose Ramirez or Twins a Carlos Correa. Those smaller payroll teams can still afford a star or two.

No school has infinite NIL money so if a alumni endowment group, like say Nebraska or Minnesota, prioritizes a recruit they still have enough money to pluck some away.

Rumor is they actually don't have a large chest to throw around. Lima on 92.3 The Fan said he's talked with people down there who said OSUcks has a ~$3M NIL budget, while schools like Florida are dealing with ~$30M.

50 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Rumor is they actually don't have a large chest to throw around. Lima on 92.3 The Fan said he's talked with people down there who said OSUcks has a ~$3M NIL budget, while schools like Florida are dealing with ~$30M.

Very surprising. To me, anyway. Huge, rabid alumni base w/ OSU.

52 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Very surprising. To me, anyway. Huge, rabid alumni base w/ OSU.

Yeah, I personally don't think it's remotely accurate tbh. Njigba alone reportedly made north of $1 million in NIL money this year. I imagine Stroud made something similar. Collectively OSU players most certainly are making well north of $3 million in NIL deals this year. 

Edit: Perhaps that might be the amount of money the staff under the table directly controls, but there is certainly a lot of NIL opportunities coming in elsewhere to get players paid. 

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Yeah, I personally don't think it's remotely accurate tbh. Njigba alone reportedly made north of $1 million in NIL money this year. I imagine Stroud made something similar. Collectively OSU players most certainly are making well north of $3 million in NIL deals this year. 

Edit: Perhaps that might be the amount of money the staff under the table directly controls, but there is certainly a lot of NIL opportunities coming in elsewhere to get players paid. 

I would tend to agree that the $3M is inaccurate on the low side. However, I don't think it's too much more than that. They're getting outbid by millions. No, that's not how the system is "intended" to work either, but it is what it is for now and OSUcks is losing. 

If they get blown out by Georgia, I'm not sure Ryan Day survives. 

P5 members are beginning to choke on their greed. The television networks are shoving their greed down the schools throats also. It's going to be fun to watch the schools choke on it. What they do swallow is going to come out the other end as a massive pile of uncompetitive pile of crap. The P5 regular season will become unwatchable at the highest level.  Degenerate gamblers and casual fans semi watching games in bars while chugging down the TV sponsors cheap beers will be happy, but if you like good football, you will be disappointed. 

I believe things like nil and the TP are a good thing. After all, this is a free country. I'd like to say college football has been caught flat footed, but I don't think that's the case. The people who are destroying college football are just moving on to their next money grab and not fixing the problems at hand. Most are so stupid any decisions they make to solve the problem will only make it worse.

G5 schools need to find a way to get away from the giant pile of crap before the smell leaches on to them. The money simply isn't worth it. 

10 hours ago, MangoZip said:

Apologize if this has been already mentioned but saw on twitter that our strength coach has left the program. This is a very important role for the program, hope they find someone good to replace him. 

zip.jpg

Heard that Kent’s former Strength and Conditioning Coach Jeff Sobol has an interest in taking over Coach Iannacchione spot with the Zips.

• Thanks 1

High school athletics just isn't big money like college athletics. Massillon's head football coach for example is the school districts 16th highest paid employee. He made 90k, which was 18k for being head coach and 72k for his other job responsibilities. Even if you get NIL at the high school level, I feel it would be players making <5k. Maybe a few isolated incidents in places like Texas where a player might receive a car, but that wouldn't be the norm.