Class of '24 Recruits & Verbal Commitments

On 12/21/2023 at 9:31 AM, Ham said:

I am really perplexed that we didn't see Wasel at all this year.  He could have retained his red shirt after apearing in 4 games.  

QB room:

Bullack--He can run, but can we move the ball against 8 men on the line of scrimage?

Wasel--Who knows?

In coming freshman--good luck.

Potential JUCO or portal addition--Maybe our best hope.

The Zip's QB room is better described as a tool closet in a detached garage.

7 hours ago, zzx said:

Noticed some new transfers on the roster including:

Eli Fields OT from Southern 

Daymon David DB from Oregon

Also, some new freshman including:

Fahrell Freeman RB from Cleveland Heights HS

Max Mobley OL from Maderia HS

There are literally 100 schools between Oregon and Akron on the talent spectrum.

Therefore, I'm concerned, but hopeful that a guy who has been rated as highly as D.D. is moving from Oregon to Akron because of his deep respect for the Zip's head coach, and not because of some dubious circumstances. 

6 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Looks like safety Aman Greenwood from Syracuse has also been added. I’m assuming Greenwood, Fields, and David are on scholarship, wile Freeman and Mobley are PWO.

Terray Jones has been removed. Sean Conroy is still listed and apparently applying for a 5th year of eligibility.

Aman Greenwood was initially recruited to Syracuse by Reno Ferri

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

This is really odd…he commits to Syracuse on August 1, takes his official visit on December 13, de commits on December 19 one day before signing day. Did something happen on official visit that he didn’t like? Did Syracuse kick him to the curb last minute? Would love to know the story of what happened. Dino Babers was fired in November, maybe the new staff didn’t want him, but if so, very odd to pull the carpet out from him right before signing day.  🤔

3 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

This is really odd…he commits to Syracuse on August 1, takes his official visit on December 13, de commits on December 19 one day before signing day. Did something happen on official visit that he didn’t like? Did Syracuse kick him to the curb last minute? Would love to know the story of what happened. Dino Babers was fired in November, maybe the new staff didn’t want him, but if so, very odd to pull the carpet out from him right before signing day.  🤔

We’ll take him! Solid offer list. Also picked up offers from Buffalo, Ohio, and Troy since the decommittment.

Edited by LZIp

20 minutes ago, zzx said:

Tristen Graham interview just before he de-committed

Good interview, and very timely for this discussion. Assuming that he was telling the truth, it sure sounds like Syracuse decided to go a different direction. Maybe the new coaching staff will be running a defense that they don’t feel is a good fit for Tristen. Regardless, this is a very good signing for the Zips. I think this type of thing happens way more than people realize. 

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Well, the NLI's are certainly not pouring in this a.m.  Generally they seem to be sent in pretty early in the day. Should we be concerned by this?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm getting a little nervous.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm getting a little nervous.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from the two posted today, I believe all the other new commits we're aware of since early signing day are already shown on our roster. Would think they would be announced, but if not I don't think its anything to be nervous about. Wouldn't be on roster if they weren't here IMO.

I'm showing us as having 4 open schollies at this point, so we have room for new commits, but I suspect most will be used after another wave of players hit the portal after spring ball.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from the two posted today, I believe all the other new commits we're aware of since early signing day are already shown on our roster. Would think they would be announced, but if not I don't think its anything to be nervous about. Wouldn't be on roster if they weren't here IMO.

I'm showing us as having 4 open schollies at this point, so we have room for new commits, but I suspect most will be used after another wave of players hit the portal after spring ball.

You're correct. They are already listed on the current roster. I didn't see any social media posted of them signing & hadn't looked at the spring roster. Well, today was pretty uneventful. I'll go ahead and update Post #1 as having them all signed, sealed, and delivered. Go Zips!

• Like 2

This has been the most uneventful national signing day I can recall. The first signing day, along with the portal, has really changed recruiting. 

In any case, it’s another great class and I assume we’ll fill the last handful of spots with JUCO and/or portal guys.

8 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

This has been the most uneventful national signing day I can recall. The first signing day, along with the portal, has really changed recruiting. 

In any case, it’s another great class and I assume we’ll fill the last handful of spots with JUCO and/or portal guys.

Is this across the board? I've only seen non FBS commits on X all morning. 

32 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Terry Bowden said the traditional NSD would become a non-event. He was right.

Unless you're a new coach who was hired too late to put together a December class, the first Wednesday in February is now much ado about nothing. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Terry Bowden said the traditional NSD would become a non-event. He was right.

Unless you're a new coach who was hired too late to put together a December class, the first Wednesday in February is now much ado about nothing. 

Speaking of Bowden, I miss the signing day pressers he did where he briefly went over each recruit. Don't believe Arth or Joe Mo have done that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Is this across the board? I've only seen non FBS commits on X all morning. 

Yes, outside of a few exceptions. I’ve seen far more PWO commitments, and FCS or below, than anything at the FBS level today.

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Speaking of Bowden, I miss the signing day pressers he did where he briefly went over each recruit. Don't believe Arth or Joe Mo have done that.

Seems like this would be a no brainer and a way to build some excitement. Outside of the first class, there hasn’t been much of anything like that.

Edited by catdaddyp