Class of '24 Recruits & Verbal Commitments

On 12/20/2023 at 9:08 AM, InTheZone said:

This may in fact be the worst recruiting class in our Division 1-A era. And that my friends is saying something.

I suppose that Moorhead has no choice but to focus on bringing in JUCO and Transfer Portal guys (hopefully mature and experienced) to try to win next fall (or he'll be gone). No time to develop high school talent I'm afraid, especially in desperate situations. It's not good that high school recruits seem to be almost an afterthought in collge football, but that's the reality in general for many of them. It seems that with the portal in partuclar a large number of high school recruits will never find a place to get playing time and will themslves have to jump ship to find a better situation. Over and over again. 

I am really perplexed that we didn't see Wasel at all this year.  He could have retained his red shirt after apearing in 4 games.  

QB room:

Bullack--He can run, but can we move the ball against 8 men on the line of scrimage?

Wasel--Who knows?

In coming freshman--good luck.

Potential JUCO or portal addition--Maybe our best hope.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UA1996MAENG said:

I suppose that Moorhead has no choice but to focus on bringing in JUCO and Transfer Portal guys (hopefully mature and experienced) to try to win next fall (or he'll be gone). No time to develop high school talent I'm afraid, especially in desperate situations. It's not good that high school recruits seem to be almost an afterthought in collge football, but that's the reality in general for many of them. It seems that with the portal in partuclar a large number of high school recruits will never find a place to get playing time and will themslves have to jump ship to find a better situation. Over and over again. 

You're right. It's now or never. 

If a kid wants playing time and doesn't find it at two different schools, maybe the kid isn't good enough for FBS football and should just go to school or find some satisfaction in riding the bench. 

38 minutes ago, GP1 said:

You're right. It's now or never. 

If a kid wants playing time and doesn't find it at two different schools, maybe the kid isn't good enough for FBS football and should just go to school or find some satisfaction in riding the bench. 

That's true, but it could also be true that a high school kid with ability is going to be buried on the depth chart behind older and more experienced transfers (JUCO or Portal) and this in turn prevents him from gaining playing time to hone his skills and prove his worth. Again, I think this is particular, mostly, to struggling, desparate programs. 

18 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Still in the process of updating the MAC 2024 Recruiting thread, but here is the link to Rivals 2024 rankings which has us as 6th Overall in the Comprehensive Rankings. We will climb in the coming months with more portal additions.

Won't the other schools have the same potential to climb due to portal additions?

7 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Won't the other schools have the same potential to climb due to portal additions?

If they had the scholarships to give, yes. Schools like Toledo and Miami do not. Akron, Kent, and Western will likely have the most portal activity this year. JoeMo has also said we will only take 12-15 HS players on any given year, so we’ll always be active portalers (probably not a word)  as long as this staff is in place.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Kamron Payne from the Dayton area posted on his IG that he committed. His mom posted it in the Akron Football Fans Facebook group. I know absolutely nothing about him. Maybe @catdaddyp can shed some light.

Can’t say I’ve heard of him. Is this the same kid? HUDL If so, I’m pretty sure he’ll be a PWO.

24 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Not to get lost in the excitement of a QB commitment…

I like how he continues to make great moves all the way down the field to get himself into the endzone in his high school clips. Seems to have nice speed too.  https://247sports.com/Player/Marquese-Williams-46094608/

Edited by blueandgold
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:52 AM, LZIp said:

Just reviewed his offer list out of high school. Pretty impressive. Now let's actually utilize our TE's in the passing game more in 2024 and beyond! https://247sports.com/Player/max-whisner-46100294/TimelineEvents/

Edited by blueandgold

heck of a get. A player with that many offers and transferring here only one year out of HS is promising IMO.  Also great that Kenni Burns recruited him at Minnesota, and he apparently chose to come here over him!

Bringing in 2 transfer RBs, I have to wonder if Price or Kellom are moving on.

2 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Bringing in 2 transfer RBs, I have to wonder if Price or Kellom are moving on.

Coming off a pretty severe injury, I’ll speculate Price will call it a career. Or move on. He’s also the rb that left the ball on the turf costing us the CMU and Buffalo games in ‘22.

• Sad 1