2023-2024 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

8 minutes ago, Copley Don said:

That’s quite a bizarre way to frame something. So you like more losses against non “winning” MAC teams. Got it. I wouldn’t consider last place in the MAC as progress. The teams that are above you in the standings get to play in Cleveland in March, FYI. 

I know not even sniffing any of the top 4 teams with a starting lineup featuring four seniors and one of the best bigs in the league is enough for some, but I like the idea of resetting after a failed experiment. She got her chance and it was less than inspiring considering the amount of time here. But I happen to think more highly of the women’s program than most and don’t want it to just be a “participation trophy”

program like you and good ol’ MJ. 

I too think highly of the program. That’s why I enjoy actually being in the “Top 4” when we have the MAC Player of the Year on our team. This years squad is also a team upperclassmen, yet the program is in last place in the MAC. Now that’s an “experiment” to put in the trophy case. 

7 minutes ago, Copley Don said:

I too think highly of the program. That’s why I enjoy actually being in the “Top 4” when we have the MAC Player of the Year on our team. This years squad is also a team upperclassmen, yet the program is in last place in the MAC. Now that’s an “experiment” to put in the trophy case. 

So we win one (1) MAC tournament game over a seven year period, because the men’s coach recruited the brother of a great women’s basketball player (Dawson), and all of a sudden we are above letting a lame duck coach’s contract expire and moving on? For those of us (you) who struggle to remember as way far back as 5 years ago, Akron got a lot worse before it got briefly better under Jackson. Let’s see what this is all about before drawing conclusions after a season. Hell, I believed in MJ til about midway through last year. 

18 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

So we win one (1) MAC tournament game over a seven year period, because the men’s coach recruited the brother of a great women’s basketball player (Dawson), and all of a sudden we are above letting a lame duck coach’s contract expire and moving on? For those of us (you) who struggle to remember as way far back as 5 years ago, Akron got a lot worse before it got briefly better under Jackson. Let’s see what this is all about before drawing conclusions after a season. Hell, I believed in MJ til about midway through last year. 

And she did all that in stilettos!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, blueandgold said:

I think we are a season or two away from competing for the league title. It's a shame that Bass will be gone by then, but I feel confident in this coaching staff.

Not so sure about your timeline. I see little improvement thru the course of this season. When I watch them play I don't look for W's. I look for improvement in how they execute plus individual player growth. I think we have a good coach, but I think he has found the MAC is tougher than he thought. Recruiting has to pick up if we are to challenge for the league crown. I couldn't agree more that Bass will be gone before any turnaround. I wouldn't be surprised if she leaves with a year left to finally play for a winning program. 

• Like 2

If we’re looking for improvement we just scored 48 points at home against a 5-13 team that’s in the bottom 15% of all WBB per NET. We’re 2-8 in conference with the best post in the league and maybe best player in school history. Yep, can’t wait to see what Coach can do with real talent.

Cool story in the ABJ on a big time transfer pickup this year contributing 3.5 points per game though.  

20 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm sure she is working hard and has played OK. Phenomenal is a bit of a stretch. Motivational coach speak, I guess. Nobody has looked phenomenal since MAC play started.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1