Akron to play Ohio State to open the 2024 season

LZIp

I guess this means we are replacing our home game with Kentucky for an ass kicking by OSU. Thats 3 P5's next year (Rutgers and SC as well) and one home OOC game AGAIN...yay. Selling our soul (and chances to turn our program around by getting wins) for money.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs down 3

22 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Kentucky was never going to come here to play. We are getting a hefty payout from them and another one from OSU. That money will be invested in improvements at Infocision Stadium. 

I’d rather it go to staff and recruiting budget.

• Like 2

Improvements that will not be impacting the fans whom the move impacts the most. I get it. But at the end of the day, this administration has once again shown they aren’t so different from the rest after all.

Akron has voluntarily decided against building and appreciating its fan base once again. 

My football checkbook, way way smaller than anyone’s who actually matters, is closed as of today. I also predict Moorhead will take another job after this year, but I’m on the fence about that one. 

35 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Kentucky was never going to come here to play. We are getting a hefty payout from them and another one from OSU. That money will be invested in improvements at Infocision Stadium. 

Nobody goes to the games. How worn out can the place be?

Sun Belt teams need stadium improvement also. Yet, they play nine conference games, one P5, one G5 and one FCS. Why can't MAC schools do the same thing?

Edited by GP1

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Akron has officially given up on football.

I think you may be right.

KY opting out was predictable. It opened up a slew of interesting possibilities. The best they could do was scheduling another humiliating loss? This is insanity. 

Edited by GP1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

. I also predict Moorhead will take another job after this year, but I’m on the fence about that one. 

This is a good point. I didn't factor this into my original thinking. Akron makes it nearly impossible for a coach to gain momentum. 

The OSU game wouldn't be my reason for leaving, but it would be my reason for taking some calls. 

6 minutes ago, GP1 said:

This is a good point. I didn't factor this into my original thinking. Akron makes it nearly impossible for a coach to gain momentum. 

The OSU game wouldn't be my reason for leaving, but it would be my reason for taking some calls. 

To be clear, that prediction comes more from not thinking it’s going to work out and he wants to get out while he still can. Or he doesn’t like how the administration does things (he wouldn’t be alone), this decision included. He was very vocal about his displeasure with the 2022 schedule. Doesn’t do anything to set you up for success. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LoyalZIP said:

To be clear, that prediction comes more from not thinking it’s going to work out and he wants to get out while he still can. Or he doesn’t like how the administration does things (he wouldn’t be alone), this decision included. He was very vocal about his displeasure with the 2022 schedule. Doesn’t do anything to set you up for success. 

Good post. If this is the case, he should leave. The administration can then hire their next victim. 

Why is everyone so negative? Sure, they will lose, but it’s not like Akron is the only MAC team to load up with tough out of conference games. No doubt that big paydays can help a program struggling for cash. The biggest negative in my mind is that it seriously hurts their chance to gain bowl eligibility. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MangoZip said:

Why is everyone so negative? Sure, they will lose, but it’s not like Akron is the only MAC team to load up with tough out of conference games. No doubt that big paydays can help a program struggling for cash. The biggest negative in my mind is that it seriously hurts their chance to gain bowl eligibility. 

Following the Kent State mold. Yeah, nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MangoZip said:

I honestly like playing OSU, it at least gives us the opportunity to see Akron football on the biggest local stage we can. But playing 3 P5s on the road and 1 FCS school at home doesn't make me excited for next season. If Kentucky was never going to come here to play I would us much rather us play another G5 at home. Two years in a row with 5 home games, at least 2 of those are week night games. As a regular fan it just looks bad (right now), if the team goes 6-6 next year I won't complain

9 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

I honestly like playing OSU, it at least gives us the opportunity to see Akron football on the biggest local stage we can. But playing 3 P5s on the road and 1 FCS school at home doesn't make me excited for next season. If Kentucky was never going to come here to play I would us much rather us play another G5 at home. Two years in a row with 5 home games, at least 2 of those are week night games. As a regular fan it just looks bad (right now), if the team goes 6-6 next year I won't complain

Since 2018, the Zips have only played 6 home games in 2019 and 2021. The administration has determined the local fans do not matter, as the MAC has suggested with the midweek games. If you ever wonder why MAC fanbases are drying, this is a huge contributing factor. We get 2-3 Saturdays a year to tailgate and enjoy the true college football experience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

What did I miss? Did Kentucky buy their way out of the contract that they had with Akron that was going to have them go on the road next year to play us?