Game 11- Gardner Webb

clarkwgriswold

If you are going to win a lot of game, you have to win a lot of different types of games. Tonight, the Zips played a bad team that played great. Tip your hat to GWU. They played great. The Zips handled different runs by GWU, kept their composure and won. A good night. 

• Like 4

You have to win the ugly ones and that's what the Zips did tonight.

The good-  the offense was very efficient.  They had only 11 turnovers in 45 minutes.  They really took advantage of GW smaller lineup after their big man went out. 

The bad-  the defense was really off tonight.  The rotations were slow and they were beat up the floor on many occasions.  Until they went to switching in Scott for Sammy on defense late, they had problems with the 4 guard lineup.

The worst-  they have now shut down the north exits to the JAR at the end of the game, purportedly to keep people from the steps to the locker rooms.  Add that to them closing the northeast entrance and charging for parking and I'm getting increasingly frustrated.  They seem to feel compelled to turn away fans as much as possible.  Oh, and I got to watch the entire first half through a a 10U basketball team because the 6 ushers they have for the entire place don't keep people off of the rails.  Good thing they're not at home for a couple of weeks!

• Like 1

Messy night but now that it’s over and I’m looking back. Gardner Webb is actually rated in the mid to high 100s according to Groce. His offensive game plan of attacking one of the worst fouling teams in the country worked like a charm 41 free throws attempts is crazy. Shyed away from 3s and stayed focused on the basket with Ali Freeman and Tribble having there way. This defense struggles against small ball. They want to have two bigs more often then not and Gardner Webb abused that and played a fast pace game similar to FIU.

Every game I think “man when this team cleans this up they’ll be really really good” well enjoy the holidays because clean up times ends here pretty quickly. St Bon is tough and then it’s conference time. Enjoy your holidays everyone!