2024 Off-Season CBB Tracker & Discussion

Cal's one of the greatest recruiters in the game.  Unfortunately, he is not one of the great retainers in the game and as a result he ends up every year with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds that don't have the experience or moxie to rely on under the pressure of the tournament.  I trust that's the emphasis in his recruiting- getting kids quickly to "the show", but that also comes back to bite him in the rump.   Couldn't happen to a better guy (cheater).  Self, Calipari, Pearl and Izzo all go down within 24 hours.  That's a good day in my book! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That's now referred to as "pulling an Ali."

Which is a sign, or at least I hope a sign, that players might start thinking twice before leaving in the first place. B-tier and lower G5 talent isn't going to see the floor much at most P5s. 

• Like 1

We have not heard about any Zip players leaving.  The only player I thought might leave is Tavari but I hope he stays as I believe he has a great deal of talent but he needs to get stronger and play better defense.  When you look at the remaining roster, I just don't see any players drawing any attention in the transfer pool.  I think the only transfer we may have is if Groce tells a player he does not have a future with the team.  Prather and Lyles saw the fewest minutes on a team where the subs struggled so that may be a possibility although Prather is a red shirt frosh and has 3 years to improve.  

22 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

CMU's coach has to be taking interviews with other schools... Right? 

I'd be surprised. CMU finished 4th in a down year for the MAC. Any AAC, MVC, or A10 AD would have a hard time selling that to their fans.

2 hours ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Since D’Antoni is out at Marshall.  I wonder if Fulford is being considered as a candidate.  Or with some of the smaller colleges having HC openings.  Should we expect changes to the coaching staff 

They promoted one of the assistants to be HC

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 12:23 PM, Reslife4Life said:

All Mac Teams, 15/25 players either graduating or transferring (not sure if they will stay in the league)

All-MAC First Team

Ali Ali, Senior, Guard, Akron
Enrique Freeman, Senior, Forward, Akron
Marcus Hill, Junior, Guard, Bowling Green
Anthony Pritchard, Junior, Guard, Central Michigan
Ra’Heim Moss, Junior, Guard, Toledo

All-MAC Second Team 
Basheer Jihad, Junior, Forward, Ball State
Rashaun Agee, Senior, Forward, Bowling Green
Jaylin Hunter, Senior, Guard, Ohio
Dante Maddox Jr., Junior, Guard, Toledo
Tyler Cochran, Junior, Guard, Toledo

All-MAC Third Team 
Brian Taylor, Graduate Student, Guard, Central Michigan
Tyson Acuff, Junior, Guard, Eastern Michigan
Jalen Sullinger, Junior, Guard, Kent State
David Coit, Junior, Guard, Northern Illinois
AJ Clayton, Junior, Forward, Ohio

All-MAC Honorable Mention
Greg Tribble, Senior, Guard, Akron
VonCameron Davis, R-Junior, Forward, Kent State
Anderson Mirambeaux, Senior, Center, Miami
Darweshi Hunter, Graduate Student, Guard, Miami
B. Artis White, R-Junior, Guard, Western Michigan

MAC All-Freshman Team
Arne Osojnik, Guard, Eastern Michigan
Eian Elmer, Wing, Miami
Will Lovings-Watts, Guard, Northern Illinois
Javan Simmons, Forward, Toledo
Sonny Wilson, Guard, Toledo

Updating this as we're up to 18/25 All MAC players in the Portal/Graduating. It would be 17/25 but B. Artis White is returning to WMU. 

All-MAC First Team

Ali Ali, Senior, Guard, Akron
Enrique Freeman, Senior, Forward, Akron
Marcus Hill, Junior, Guard, Bowling Green

Anthony Pritchard, Junior, Guard, Central Michigan
Ra’Heim Moss, Junior, Guard, Toledo

All-MAC Second Team 
Basheer Jihad, Junior, Forward, Ball State
Rashaun Agee, Senior, Forward, Bowling Green
Jaylin Hunter, Senior, Guard, Ohio

Dante Maddox Jr., Junior, Guard, Toledo
Tyler Cochran, Junior, Guard, Toledo

All-MAC Third Team 
Brian Taylor, Graduate Student, Guard, Central Michigan
Tyson Acuff, Junior, Guard, Eastern Michigan
Jalen Sullinger, Junior, Guard, Kent State

David Coit, Junior, Guard, Northern Illinois
AJ Clayton, Junior, Forward, Ohio

All-MAC Honorable Mention
Greg Tribble, Senior, Guard, Akron
VonCameron Davis, R-Junior, Forward, Kent State
Anderson Mirambeaux, Senior, Center, Miami
Darweshi Hunter, Graduate Student, Guard, Miami

B. Artis White, R-Junior, Guard, Western Michigan

MAC All-Freshman Team
Arne Osojnik, Guard, Eastern Michigan
Eian Elmer, Wing, Miami
Will Lovings-Watts, Guard, Northern Illinois
Javan Simmons, Forward, Toledo
Sonny Wilson, Guard, Toledo

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Anthony Pritchard (CMU) has entered the Portal. That means the entire All-MAC First Team is currently gone, and only one Second Team member is set to return. No Honorable Mention team members, 2 Third Team members, and 4 Freshman Team members are also set to return at this time. Still a month left of the Portal.

To be fair, the MAC sucked last year. This might be addition by subtraction in some cases.

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Anthony Pritchard (CMU) has entered the Portal. That means the entire All-MAC First Team is currently gone, and only one Second Team member is set to return. No Honorable Mention team members, 2 Third Team members, and 4 Freshman Team members are also set to return at this time. Still a month left of the Portal.

To be fair, the MAC sucked last year. This might be addition by subtraction in some cases.

IMG_6033.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't see how the league doesn't suffer from this.  Sure, the league will get it's share of transfers and some kids will end up staying but I can't imagine it will even out.  

I wonder if some of this isn't driven by these kids' need to "feel the love" and be recruited again.

One positive is that it puts the Zips in a good position relative to the competition.  I do think the Zips may be behind the others in announcements, however, due to their tournament appearance.    Groce's individual meetings with the players are likely still sinking in with them.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I don't see how the league doesn't suffer from this.  Sure, the league will get it's share of transfers and some kids will end up staying but I can't imagine it will even out.  

I wonder if some of this isn't driven by these kids' need to "feel the love" and be recruited again.

One positive is that it puts the Zips in a good position relative to the competition.  I do think the Zips may be behind the others in announcements, however, due to their tournament appearance.    Groce's individual meetings with the players are likely still sinking in with them.

There are over 1100 players in the portal currently for DI according to Verbal Commits. This is not isolated to the MAC or even G5 for that matter. 

Only 5 MAC teams had a winning record this year - Akron, Ohio, Toledo, CMU, and Bowling Green. For comparison, the A10's 9 seed had 20+ wins. It was a pee poor year for the MAC. 

Of the winning teams, Toledo is losing their coach most likely, so their departures are expected. CMU and Bowling are the head scratchers, but then again it's CMU and Bowling. Anybody worth their snuff on the court probably wants to play anywhere else but Mt Pleasant, MI, and Bowling Green, OH. Graduations will hurt the MAC more so than the Portal probably, and I think there's a good chance the influx of talent from recruiting and the Portal (eventually) will be better than what we saw with the MAC this year top to bottom. 

• Like 1

Utah State AD: "Tod, you have a very impressive record over the last few seasons. Why haven't I seen Toledo on Selection Sunday?"

Tod: "Cleveland."

Utah State AD: "Well Tod, we have aspirations of making runs in March and the Mountain West's conference tournament is in Las Vegas. And next year, Cleveland is a First & Second Round site for the Tourney. How exciting is that - right in the backyard of your old stomping grounds?"

Tod: vietnam-horror.gif