ZipsNation Basketball All-Star Team Poll: Small Forward

Since 2002/2003 Who are the BEST Small Forwards the Akron Zips have had? (Pick THREE)   

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This poll needs entirely redone. 

Linhart and Darryl Peterson need to be included.

Cheese, Ali, and Ivey were technically guards. 

Chris McKnight and Treadwell were PF. 

That's the thing about positionless basketball. It's hard to assign positions to anyone. A guy like Ali might be listed as a guard in the program, but when you're playing a 3 or 4 guard lineup, he's really more functioning as the "SF".

21 hours ago, Zip JD said:

My write in candidate: Nate Linhart (I didn't see him on any list but I am also a MAC referee so who knows?)

It's difficult for these lists because it limits me to only 10 candidates. Nate was on my list, however he had to be cut because of the limitation of the poll feature.

8 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

This poll needs entirely redone. 

Linhart and Darryl Peterson need to be included.

Cheese, Ali, and Ivey were technically guards. 

Chris McKnight and Treadwell were PF. 

I merely went down the list of people listed as SF over the timeframe listed. Yes, people were listed in multiple positions INCLUDING Cheese, Ali and Ivey, McKnight and Treadwell were all listed at SF on starting lineups at some point.

I wanted to include Linhard and Peterson, but the polls are limited to 10 people only. Though I invite the constructive criticism for when we eventually in the future do a 2.0 version.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

That's the thing about positionless basketball. It's hard to assign positions to anyone. A guy like Ali might be listed as a guard in the program, but when you're playing a 3 or 4 guard lineup, he's really more functioning as the "SF".

This. The source I used listed starting lineups for the Zips during a given season, and players would appear at multiple positions. This happened a lot with Kretzer and Reggie McAdams as they both technically occupied the same SG position, but when the were both on the court one would be the technical SG and technical SF. 

Treadwell was definitely listed as a SF on several of the seasonal rosters he played on, which indeed baffled me...but it is what it is. I welcome anyone else to do a 2.0 version if they think they can put together a better list.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 8:40 AM, zippy5 said:

tough one, especially with one of the leading vote getters not being a SF

Everyone on this list was officially listed as a SF at some point in their career throughout a season. All I did was go year-by-year through the rosters that were compiled and where players were listed. Demetrius Treadwell was, indeed, listed as a SF in the lineup in one of the seasons. 

On 6/3/2024 at 3:45 PM, kreed5120 said:

Agreed.  There could have easily been polls for stretch 4 (Kwan and X for example) vs. power forward (Wood and Tree) or wings.  How about 6th man, defensive stoppers and rim protectors?  The polls are fun trip down memory lane so keep them coming.

I will say that if Nate Linhart does not get his due, ZipCat is in for trouble.