Cleveland State

This was one pee poor soccer game by past Akron standards. Our forwards don't seem to create or play with a sense of urgency. The Midfield was non-existent and the back line was reckless and leaky. That's a bad combination. We are a program that has had four straight years of declining talent in our recruits and it shows. I'm afraid opposing coaches know this. Hence average CSU and OSU teams can play even or dominate. I am very disappointed. I thought ND was a turning point. Apparently not.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

That 3rd CSU goal was weak @$$ sh!t on our part. Pussyfooting around in front of your own goal like that?!?! 🤮🤮🤮

This pussyfooting around in front of our own goal has become commonplace. Not how a well-coached team plays. 

• Like 5

Two quick thoughts:

1)  Not that Akron is any different than other schools, but with all the transfers in and out and 5th year and grad players coming and going, putting in a season or two here, have we lost the team chemistry that for years was the Zip trademark of play?

2)  Would we be less vulnerable to "pussyfooting", quick strikes after scoring, heck at all, if we played a more "conventional 4-4-2 rather than going with the 3-5-2?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zippy-claws said:

Two quick thoughts:

1)  Not that Akron is any different than other schools, but with all the transfers in and out and 5th year and grad players coming and going, putting in a season or two here, have we lost the team chemistry that for years was the Zip trademark of play?

2)  Would we be less vulnerable to "pussyfooting", quick strikes after scoring, heck at all, if we played a more "conventional 4-4-2 rather than going with the 3-5-2?

Alas, Zips have not enjoyed superior level team chemistry in several seasons.  2018 seems very long ago. Yes, this was once the hallmark of this program.  Multiple transfers in and out is the collegiate soccer World we now live in.  Mind you, no one cares much for team chemistry that does not render success.

Zips base formation/system is 4-2-3-1.  We very occasionally play 4-3-3.  I do not believe formation/system is responsible for “pussyfooting” in the back, as I understand the term.  At fault is a strategic choice to draw out the opposition and lure them into over committing.  This is analogous to a boxer sticking out his chin, daring his opponent to hit him, with the intent to counter punch the unbalanced foe.  But when the Zips stick out their chin, we are even odds to get knocked off our feet.  One starts to wonder:  Maybe we are not very good at counter punching.

Another apparent Zips strategy is to treat every possession as precious and equal.  Precious?  Agreed.  Equally precious?  No. Against CSU, Zips made, not one pass, but four too many passes in our defensive right corner.  With 13 minutes left, Zips disrespected the overall game scenario.  That Ball should been given a long ride to the other half, knowingly conceding possession.  Obviously, Zips cannot achieve success by always booming the ball out of the back.  But specific situations mandate specific actions.  Victory was in hand. That ball should have been sent into the upper deck.  Instead, we stuck out our chin, getting a bloody nose for our trouble.  We mismanaged the game.

Not all Draws feel the same.  The draw at Notre Dame kind of felt like victory.  The draw hosting CSU definitely feels like a loss.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zippy-claws said:

Two quick thoughts:

Your questions are ell thought out.

I don't think the system of play is at fault. What I noticed is that our mids were not going to space to help relieve pressure on the back line so they could pass out. I also saw this when the ball got into the midfield. There was too much ball watching. We needed movement to unbalance the defensive pressure in the mid and create space for our forwards to run on to the ball, have a pass thru a created channel or have a wing back run into the attack.  The need to go to, or create, space could go to chemistry, but the bottom line is that is our style. If you don't want to commit to it go to the bench.

I thought this game was more about attitude than it was about strategy. For that the players are accountable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

Another apparent Zips strategy is to treat every possession as precious and equal.  Precious?  Agreed.  Equally precious?  No. Against CSU, Zips made, not one pass, but four too many passes in our defensive right corner.  With 13 minutes left, Zips disrespected the overall game scenario.  That Ball should been given a long ride to the other half, knowingly conceding possession.  Obviously, Zips cannot achieve success by always booming the ball out of the back.  But specific situations mandate specific actions.  Victory was in hand. That ball should have been sent into the upper deck.  Instead, we stuck out our chin, getting a bloody nose for our trouble.  We mismanaged the game.

Not all Draws feel the same.  The draw at Notre Dame kind of felt like victory.  The draw hosting CSU definitely feels like a loss.  

... Preach!

15 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I don't think the system of play is at fault.

If you don't want to commit to it go to the bench.

I thought this game was more about attitude than it was about strategy. For that the players are accountable.

It seems to me that the coaches should adjust the system / formation for the players we have. As Jared said in an earlier press conference, it is his to figure out the pieces and how they fit.

Players don't decide when they sit on the bench. They are accountable for their actions on the field, but the coaches are accountable for putting them there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mercyhurst University in Erie, PA......did something tonight...that the zips were unable to do on Labor Day

Cleveland, OH. - It was a historic night for the Mercyhurst Men's Soccer team as they not only picked up their first win of the season by defeating Cleveland State 2-0, but it was their first win as a Division 1 program. 

• Sad 1