Famous Potato Bowl

GoZips88

Matinee, Highland Square. It's near my apartment so a friend and I went there. There was about a dozen people there, so it's not like it was a big crowd. But even the guy who looked like he clearly didn't care about football even clapped along with us when he noticed they won.

Nice. Wish I was in Akron today :-)

Just saw coach fired up on ESPN half-time roundup talking about how Bowl games do matter, and how if anyone doubts that they can look at his Akron players. Saw the Players all fired up with the band playing songs. Even if the Zips took a loss financially to go to this Bowl, this was the greatest thing that could have happened for this program.

What a wonderful job by the coaches reviving this program. It is hard to believe that 4 years ago we had 3 back to back to back one win seasons.

I tip my hat to coach Bowden, coach Amato, and all their staff.

I remember 2 years ago (at the end of the 4-8 season), I had a conversation with coach Bowden where he said something along the lines of him being happy to go to houses and talk to families and not have to talk about the 1-11 record. Imagine what he will do with recruiting after an 8 win season.

It is also time for this community and alumni to support this program and put their $ where their mouth is.

#GOZIPS

What a wonderful job by the coaches reviving this program. It is hard to believe that 4 years ago we had 3 back to back to back one win seasons.

I tip my hat to coach Bowden, coach Amato, and all their staff.

I remember 2 years ago (at the end of the 4-8 season), I had a conversation with coach Bowden where he said something along the lines of him being happy to go to houses and talk to families and not have to talk about the 1-11 record. Imagine what he will do with recruiting after an 8 win season.

It is also time for this community and alumni to support this program and put their $ where their mouth is.

#GOZIPS

Coach Bowden nailed it in my living room back in January .....

"I hope for 7-5 and a bowl win, that would make it 8-5 and the most wins in Akron history. I think your son is coming in at a special time"

Boom ...

Edited by Jrship35
  • Like 1

I'm at home watching the game and it's half time but I had to check here to see the result. What a great day for the team. Now I can enjoy the second half without the worry! Loving a bowl win after so many seasons in the hinterlands. GO ZIPS! I really like the white unis and helmets too. BOOM!

• Like 1

Holy hell...where to start....This is one of my top moments as a Zips fan. Right up there with Zeke rejecting a couple of Can't St players in OT of the MAC championship in 2011 and our soccer national championship in 2010. The Zips played their best game of the year. I am glad that 3 players I have been critical of all season in Stein, Pratt, and Evans played the game of their lives in their last game. Proud of them. Stein's kicks were huge! I said "if we get in FG range and make the kick to go up 2 scores, I like our chances." Well, it came down to the last play of the game, but it proved to be enough! I heard Johnny J's was packed. The Score was pretty full as well and it was the most fun I've had watching the Zips not in person. It was nice to be around a group of passionate people who cared about the University.

So happy for the coaches, the players, and last but not least..all of us on Zipsnation who have endured many seasons of losing. Enjoy it and look forward to the future. Go Zips!

edit: also if anyone has any media to share regarding the celebration/post game pressers/etc please share as I didn't get to see it at the bar.

PS- Loved the call to give it to Grice on the 4th and 1 towards the end of the game (even though it didnt work out). Put the trust in the team to pull through.

Edited by LZip