Transfer Portal

John Ward

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Bentley did next to nothing here. I don't read into it too much.

I agree with you LZ, not a big loss. I do hate to lose senior leadership and Ohio guys. I suspect he waited this long because the staff told him he had to get a lot better in the off-season to get PT. I also suspect the hand-writing was on the wall so he elected to bail. I don't blame him and I don't blame our coaches. Probably best for all. 

Isn't it insane that the only news we get is negative. Again, why is the university content to let other information sources control the narrative about our program? Brilliant!

15 hours ago, LZIp said:

Bentley did next to nothing here. I don't read into it too much.

I realize Bentley wasn't a huge contributor, but the reverse more often seems to occur, with a kid leaving his original school of choice to "go home" to a school near his place of origin.  At the end of the day, I don't think it's a great talent loss but it's not a good look.

As the preseason progresses I am becoming less and less enthusiastic about this squad.  I need to figure out whether it it's my PTSD from the last two seasons or just the lack of anything positive news wise from the program.  As I have said on here before, it is tough to get excited about the team when there's no indication of excitement from the team itself.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I realize Bentley wasn't a huge contributor, but the reverse more often seems to occur, with a kid leaving his original school of choice to "go home" to a school near his place of origin.  At the end of the day, I don't think it's a great talent loss but it's not a good look.

As the preseason progresses I am becoming less and less enthusiastic about this squad.  I need to figure out whether it it's my PTSD from the last two seasons or just the lack of anything positive news wise from the program.  As I have said on here before, it is tough to get excited about the team when there's no indication of excitement from the team itself.

Apparently the folks in the athletic department listened to my mom who frequently told me "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I know the narrative is that we are only losing kids who can't play, but at what point do you say a kid has a lot of potential but is missing the proper development because the staff is inadequate?

Previous two secondary coaches: Jamael Lett - offered ST Coordinator/defensive assistant position by South Alabama. Jonathan Cooley hired by LA Rams as defensive assistant. Clearly their peers do not seem them as inadequate. The evidence will be pretty clear when we see him play this season, however.

By the way, got a link to Abraham Alce's college stats since he's left Akron?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Previous two secondary coaches: Jamael Lett - offered ST Coordinator/defensive assistant position by South Alabama. Jonathan Cooley hired by LA Rams as defensive assistant. Clearly their peers do not seem them as inadequate. The evidence will be pretty clear when we see him play this season, however.

By the way, got a link to Abraham Alce's college stats since he's left Akron?

Their next job is more about their connections than their performance at player development or history of winning.

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Looks like someone beat out Peterson at Center this camp

That's surprising. Can't imagine many other reasons one would transfer this time of the year, though! Oh well, we'll just be that much more experienced next year.

27 minutes ago, LZIp said:

That's surprising. Can't imagine many other reasons one would transfer this time of the year, though! Oh well, we'll just be that much more experienced next year.

Wish him luck but I’ll never forget the Northwestern game when he had 7 penalties in the 1st half.  Honestly I don’t know how he kept his job after that.

• Like 1

I think this is a significant loss on a very young OL.  The center typically calls a lot of the line plays and assignements.  I find it hard to believe that we will be better with one more young OL.  If so, then the future is very bright.  I hope that this not Arth's way of getting rid of the players that he did not recruit.  As of this morning, he is still showing on the Zips roster and not in the transfer portal.  However, the Athletic Department is awful in updating the bios and other information on Gozips.  I wish him the best for his new school for one year.  

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Don't ever scare me like that again!!    I was watching Bubba yesterday and he is a machine.  Just has a nose for the football.   

1 minute ago, zipsfan33 said:

Don't ever scare me like that again!!    I was watching Bubba yesterday and he is a machine.  Just has a nose for the football.   

Ditto, I about had a coronary thinking that he entered the portal.  Bubba is the epitome of the athlete who gives it his all.  He is udersized, but plays with great passion.  If he was larger, he would be a regular on Sundays.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Ward said:

What I find funny is how you ladies & gents talk about how great Bubba is ( which he is) and how all the other kids who are walk ons must not be that great because they don’t have stars . Im pretty sure Bubba was a walk on. So how you feeling about walk ons now, ?

Bubba was not a walk on but a blue shirt

The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play. Here's what it means to be "recruited," according to the NCAA:

Was provided an official visit to the campus;

Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or

Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.

Coaches can contact players and have them on campus for unofficial visits — when the recruits pay their ways — without technically recruiting them. Essentially, as long as a recruit doesn't take an official visit or host one of that school's coaches, he wasn't "recruited" by that school.

Edited by 94zipgrad