MAC Postseason Discussion

The MAC postseason came to an end tonight with a 1-4 record as Ohio fell to Abilene Christian 91-86 in the quarterfinals of the CBI in Daytona.

Ohio played Abilene Christian and Rice in the postseason while the archrival played Southern Utah. I feel like these are the types of teams we need to schedule in November and December.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, GJGood said:

The MAC postseason came to an end tonight with a 1-4 record as Ohio fell to Abilene Christian 91-86 in the quarterfinals of the CBI in Daytona.

Ohio played Abilene Christian and Rice in the postseason while the archrival played Southern Utah. I feel like these are the types of teams we need to schedule in November and December.

The Lady Rockets are the last team standing.

5 hours ago, GJGood said:

To echo some of the posts/sentiments I saw on the KSUcks and other MAC boards...

ThE mAc DiDn'T sEnD tHeIr BeSt To ThE nCaA tOuRnAmEnT

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

To echo some of the posts/sentiments I saw on the KSUcks and other MAC boards...

Akron defeated KSU, Toledo, and Buffalo in Cleveland. The Zips beat OU in Athens and after the MAC title game had an eight game winning streak then lost by four points in the NCAA tournament to a team returning all their starters from a Final Four team a year ago.

I guess I could see Toledo making the claim of best in the MAC since they won the regular season title but the Flushes got beat down by 20 in the title game. They trailed by 9 at half with their suspensions and were outscored by 11 in the second half with their guy. Then KSU went out and got beat by the second place team in the Big Sky Conference. 
Poke the bear, or in this case the Roo, too many times and you will most likely pay the consequences. 

Akron had the best postseason performance for the MAC while OU had one favorable result in squeaking by Rice before falling to Abilene Christian. Who do they think was the best team in the MAC?

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

Akron defeated KSU, Toledo, and Buffalo in Cleveland. The Zips beat OU in Athens and after the MAC title game had an eight game winning streak then lost by four points in the NCAA tournament to a team returning all their starters from a Final Four team a year ago.

I guess I could see Toledo making the claim of best in the MAC since they won the regular season title but the Flushes got beat down by 20 in the title game. They trailed by 9 at half with their suspensions and were outscored by 11 in the second half with their guy. Then KSU went out and got beat by the second place team in the Big Sky Conference. 
Poke the bear, or in this case the Roo, too many times and you will most likely pay the consequences. 

Akron had the best postseason performance for the MAC while OU had one favorable result in squeaking by Rice before falling to Abilene Christian. Who do they think was the best team in the MAC?

A lot of those comments were before the UCLA game. After the game posters seemed to change their tune and said Akron should be favored to win the MAC next year and that Freeman will be a contender for MAC POY.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

A lot of those comments were before the UCLA game. After the game posters seemed to change their tune and said Akron should be favored to win the MAC next year and that Freeman will be a contender for MAC POY.

Even prior to the UCLA game they were silly comments. Akron beat every top team in the MAC going back to their last OU game during the regular season (then the 3 big dogs in the tournament). A 20 pt drubbing of KSUcks was the final nail in the coffin for any argument against Akron being the best in the MAC. 

I'm glad to hear some common sense clicked finally.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Young teams take time to develop and mature.  That's what we did.  Great coaching.  Look out next year!!

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 9:19 PM, kreed5120 said:

Yes, why the NIT did that is beyond me. It's one thing to maybe slide a 5 seed down to a 6 to create a regional matchup, but to have them play the top ranked team in the tournament is absurd. 

So what I was afraid of with the NIT is actually playing itself out tonight. St Bonaventure and Virginia are meeting in the third (quarterfinal) round of the tourney. Both of these teams were among the teams the NIT did not release seeds for. When asked to explain why Virginia is going to get to host the Bonnies the NCAA said UVA gets first option because the committee had them seeded better.

Here’s the problem, though, in the first round St Bona played the 4 seed and UVA played the 3 seed... therefore SBU saw themselves as the 5 seed because that is who plays 4s. Conventional wisdom would make UVA the 6 seed because they opened at the 3 seed. Yet, the P5 school with the bigger name and larger arena gets to host.

It might only be the NIT but it still smells like corruption to coddle to the P5 or the bigger names again.

You just know someday this will work against Akron or the MAC. College basketball fans should demand better and more transparency but they won’t because it’s just the NIT and just mid-major schools ( at least non-power conference) getting jobbed.

Edited by GJGood
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

So what I was afraid of with the NIT is actually playing itself out tonight. St Bonaventure and Virginia are meeting in the third (quarterfinal) round of the tourney. Both of these teams were among the teams the NIT did not release seeds for. When asked to explain why Virginia is going to get to host the Bonnies the NCAA said UVA gets first option because the committee had them seeded better.

Here’s the problem, though, in the first round St Bona played the 4 seed and UVA played the 3 seed... therefore SBU saw themselves as the 5 seed because that is who plays 4s. Conventional wisdom would make UVA the 6 seed because they opened at the 3 seed. Yet, the P5 school with the bigger name and larger arena gets to host.

It might only be the NIT but it still smells like corruption to coddle to the P5 or the bigger names again.

You just know someday this will work against Akron or the MAC. College basketball fans should demand better and more transparency but they won’t because it’s just the NIT and just mid-major schools ( at least non-power conference) getting jobbed.

This isn't new. Akron played at Ohio State when Akron was the better team. 

I know but at least in that scenario Akron was given a firm 6 seed. It wasn’t right but if two upsets happen and 6 comes up against 7 then you at least know you get to play at home. That is what they took away from St Bonaventure in favor of Virginia of the ACC.

5 hours ago, GJGood said:

I know but at least in that scenario Akron was given a firm 6 seed. It wasn’t right but if two upsets happen and 6 comes up against 7 then you at least know you get to play at home. That is what they took away from St Bonaventure in favor of Virginia of the ACC.

That 6 seed was based off another ranking system - RPI - which we were higher than OSUcks in. They then created NET rankings, which seem to favor P5s. Why was the First Four in Dayton created? To eliminate 2 lesser schools and provide 4 money game opportunities. It made room for more P5s/better programs. 

The elimination of some of the seeds is crooked, but it's college athletics. They're as clean as a Mechanic's hands.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 10:39 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

What the NIT also failed to realize is while OSU’s arena was no more than 15% to 20% full for the game the JAR would have been packed had the game been in Akron. If the attendance wouldn’t have been higher it at least would have been close and the atmosphere would have been a 1000 times more electric

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Just a thought...

Does Ali Ali end up at Balls? Doesn't his girlfriend play for the Lady Balls? UCLA assistant is there now, after Cronin talked up Ali Ali. Close to home. Sparks is a nice supporting cast piece. 

If he wants to lose to Akron 3-4 times, it's cool with me.

• Like 1

Just a thought...

Does Ali Ali end up at Balls? Doesn't his girlfriend play for the Lady Balls? UCLA assistant is there now, after Cronin talked up Ali Ali. Close to home. Sparks is a nice supporting cast piece. 

I thought we saw in the Women's thread that the erstwhile proverbial girlfriend is transferring as well.

Just now, AkronAlumnus said:

Is it customary for folks to enter the portal then return to their original school? This is the first time i've noticed it but it's not something I would ordinary pay attention to. 

It happens.  Arizona State football had a kid who went in, then committed to return then went back in and transferred.  It's all nuts. 

• Like 1