Talking Tressel

bobbyake

The Big East talk is making me extremely nervous. The conference is on life support right now with SU, Pitt and WVU heading for greener pastures. If any of the remaining football schools had another conference to go to they would bolt in a New York Minute. The Big East is considered a joke among fans of teams in other BCS conferences, since almost every year they send an undeserving team to get blown out in their big bowl game. Their AQ status is seen as illegitimate by many. I am not comfortable with Akron looking at the Big East as a goal, since their stability is precarious at best.

The Big East is NOT interested in a 1-11 football team. We have won exactly ONE game in the MAC in two seasons. How do you think we would fare in a real conference?

It is a damn shame, because the hoops team might be almost there. And being in the BE would really help recruiting.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kenner I think Big East is just code for something better than the MAC. I have to believe there is at least one more major conference that is going to materialize from the conference jumping. I can't imagine there is anyone on this board who wouldn't like to see us get out of the MAC.

The Big East talk is making me extremely nervous. The conference is on life support right now with SU, Pitt and WVU heading for greener pastures. If any of the remaining football schools had another conference to go to they would bolt in a New York Minute. The Big East is considered a joke among fans of teams in other BCS conferences, since almost every year they send an undeserving team to get blown out in their big bowl game. Their AQ status is seen as illegitimate by many. I am not comfortable with Akron looking at the Big East as a goal, since its stability is precarious at best.

Look at the Soccer abd Bball programs. the Big East will do nicely for me. Will be an upgrade for all programs with the caveat that the football side is fragile. If Tressel did come...the MAC would start to improve as well so we would have more options. I hate CUSA....I hope that is never a consideration.

Big East or whatever. If we had a line up of Dambrot, Porter and Tresell and our facilities.......the skies are the limit. I have said this years ago.......get goood coaches, pay them and keep them.

I posted this in March 2008 about Coach Dambrot.............

Keep Coach Dambrot

I originally was posting this as a response to another thread but thought it warranted what I view to be the most important topic we have.

I said it in previous posts and I will say it again..........The key to our success is KEEPING good coaches. It is rare when you have a great coach like KD who actually WANTS to stay and BUILD our program to national prominence and make that his legacy....... "Dambrot Arena".....I like it! What a story if he were to make it happen in his home town.

The pieces are in place (Lebron) for this to happen. In KD's tenure, we are off to a great start(Lebron), winning seasons, better recruits(Lebron) and we have advantages that no other (Lebron) school has. Did I mention that Coach Dambrot and Lebron are loyal to Akron?

Who could blame him for taking millions one day to go to......UCLA or Kentucky? Christian going to TCU is a joke and another slap in the face to the MAC. I hate Can't, but TCU? I have been to TCU

If UA lets Coach Dambrot get away for anything other than an absolute ELITE school - I will separate any association I have with UA. This is a rare (nope, once in a lifetime) chance to make a serious leap. I have more to say, but let’s see if there is any interest.

So let me get this straight, we're the worst team in college football two years running, and we are signing Tressel and moving to the BE? Flying the blimp sounds perfectly logical!

Just hang in there. I'm sure we are going to see a lot more "logic" on this board in the next couple of weeks.

So let me get this straight, we're the worst team in college football two years running, and we are signing Tressel and moving to the BE? Flying the blimp sounds perfectly logical!

Hey, I'm just reacting to some of the comments I've read here. There is a lot of crazy talk going on right now. I have no idea what kind of a chance, if any, Akron has of landing Tressel. Jim Tressel could be good for the University in a host of ways, but not if this is just some cockamamie scheme to get Akron into the Big East. And don't think that couldn't be the case, because You Tube Tom knows the Big East is in DESPERATE STRAITS. We have entered bizzaro world around these parts, Rifle.

I have no idea what kind of a chance, if any, Akron has of landing Tressel.

Below is an exercise that will help the pro-Tressel fans come to some sort of realization about the possibility of him becoming coach.

Every coach signs a contract. Assume you are a UofA lawyer and you have to write a contract to sign Tressel. The NCAA is going to come down on him harder than they do OSU so assume he is not going to coach some games for maybe as much as an entire season. Write the contract so it protects UofA and then tell everyone why Tressel would sign it.

Bonus Question: On a scale from 1-10.... How stupid would the people at UofA look if they signed Tressel to a contract and he was suspended by the ncaa for an entire season or even a half a season?

Based on all the information I've been able to gather from a variety of sources, my best estimate as of this morning is that it's almost certain that UA has met with Tressel to discuss taking the head coaching job. The big mystery remains the one of how likely Tressel is to accept. There's quite a range of estimates on that, ranging from not likely to nearly a done deal.

Based on all the information I've been able to gather from a variety of sources, my best estimate as of this morning is that it's almost certain that UA has met with Tressel to discuss taking the head coaching job. The big mystery remains the one of how likely Tressel is to accept. There's quite a range of estimates on that, ranging from not likely to nearly a done deal.

Dave, You are a former HR Big Wig. See my question above. I think you are right. It's one thing to meet with someone and interview them. It's another to be able to come to an agreement on terms.

If they did interview Tressel, that is a good thing. Interviews are a good way of learning from other people whether or not you hire them. It's not that Tressel wouldn't make a good coach. The question is, given all of the circumstances involved with us and his ncaa problems, is there a fit that would make both parties look good in the process and be mutually beneficial? I don't think there is. This isn't a good fit for either party.

@GP1....why would I care if he was suspended for a year or 1/2 a year. The notoriety he would bring to the program and the recruits he could pull it would be negligent. I know you are a big fan of hating on the University and the athletic program in general. I know you and a lot of others are afraid to dream of something bigger and better for the school you call alma mater. Why is it wrong for a person to believe a coach would want to step out of the limelight and ride out his career doing what he loves coaching. I've actually thought for sometime that we would see Tressel end up at Baldwin Wallace -- his undergraduate alma mater. I think the BW gig is still possible, but I have to imagine the guy has to be intrigued by the challenge at UA. His YSU and OSU stops weren't complete turnaround projects but he was able to take them to a level they hadn't been to. He is toxic to big time school and quite frankly I think a program like Akron might be his only option.

Everyone on here who continues to try to throw a wet blank on the hope for something better for this program and the optimism that comes with removing a cancer on the program like Ianello please tell me where you were when the rumors of Solich to OU started? Did you automatically assume Terry Bowden's next step after Auburn and TV was going to be Northern Alabama. I have to imagine fans of both of those programs were having similar conversations prior to those hires and probably other hires like it around the country. Until we hear otherwise I'm not going to stop hoping Tressel comes here and turns this program around. I wanted Tressel to replace Owens and I want him now. I hope the University has Dennison helping recruit Tressel too.

Finally for those who want to compare Tressel to Faust -- please be real. How Faust ever got the job at Notre Dame is nuts. Muse was looking for a big splash and I imagine new nothing about football when spearheaded bringing Faust here. Faust never deserved the jobs he got and couldn't hold Tressel's sweater vest. Don't forget...last week we were hearing rumors that Faust thought Ianello was just around the corner froma huge recruiting class and saving the program. Really Gerry? Thank goodness more level headed University officials prevailed.

UA has always had lofty ideas, beginning with the hopes that Gerry Faust would, for the first time ever, lead a D-2 team into D-1. Now, after 25 years at this level, with the amazing facilities and overall growth of the campus, there may well be interest in pursuing a BCS conference in the next few years. If that is true, only a nationally-known coach like Tressel would enable Akron to make the leap. On so many different levels, this marriage seems destined.

UA officials need to remember one more thing: Tressel has legions of fans from all over this state. He wouldn't just be attracting Akron area fans to InfoCision, but people from all over. Despite GP1's negativity and the ridiculous tattoo crap, which looks like child's play compared with Penn State and Syracuse (who among us doesn't believe a kid has the right to sell his own property?), Jim Tressel is a beloved and respected coach and human being. A man of his stature would elevate The University of Akron to heights never before seen. And that has always been the impetus of Dr. Proenza.

I know you and a lot of others are afraid to dream of something bigger and better for the school you call alma mater. Why is it wrong for a person to believe a coach would want to step out of the limelight and ride out his career doing what he loves coaching.

I do dream of something bigger for the University. I think there are a lot of guys we could go after who could get us there and I don't understand why everyone thinks the Tressel/OSU shortcut is the only way to be successful. We need to look at various possibilities and find the right person. This jumping on the USS Tressel doesn't smell right to me and I think it might be bad for him and us in the long run.

EDIT. Sorry, I didn't answer your original question. Here is why his suspension is a problem even if it is for half a season.

Headline 1..."Akron Hires Tressel".

Headline 2 (one week after headline 1)..."NCAA Suspension Cloud Over Tressel".

Headline 3 (one week after Headline 2)...."NCAA Still Undecided on Tressel's Fate".

Headline 4 (one week after Headline 3)...."NCAA Suspends Tressel Six Games"....OR...."NCAA Suspends Tressel Full Season".

Headline 5 (one week before season)..."Tresselless Zips Take Field Against BCS Team X".

Headlines 6-10...same as Headline 5 with minor changes.

Headline 11...assuming he only gets six games...."Zips Try to Right Ship After 0-6 Start or 1-5 Start"

Am I really being negative when I write this stuff, or is there so much potential negativity to step in it makes the writing easy? There is a lot of really short term negativity to hiring Tressel that could lead to more of the same for Zips football.

If Tressel gets suspended for an entire season, what would the coaching staff look like? Who would be the head coach? Basically, hiring Tressel would allow him to name the head coach for potentially an entire season....Do we really want that? How much are we willing to pay Tressel to do nothing when we are already paying another coach to do nothing?

I do dream of something bigger for the University. I think there are a lot of guys we could go after who could get us there and I don't understand why everyone thinks the Tressel/OSU shortcut is the only way to be successful. We need to look at various possibilities and find the right person. This jumping on the USS Tressel doesn't smell right to me and I think it might be bad for him and us in the long run.

Just know that among Zips Nation, you stand completely alone in your belief, GP1. YES TO TRESS...say it, dream it, make it happen.

I know you and a lot of others are afraid to dream of something bigger and better for the school you call alma mater. Why is it wrong for a person to believe a coach would want to step out of the limelight and ride out his career doing what he loves coaching.

I don't want a coach that takes shortcuts either. Please describe these "shortcuts" in detail.

TIA

I don't want a coach that takes shortcuts either. Please describe these "shortcuts" in detail.

Great question. It doesn't take much detail. The same logic as the old "build facilities and we will be good" applies. We can't just assume that hiring Tressel will make us good. It takes a lot more than that to be good.

I dont' doubt that Tressel is a good coach. It's easy to be at least good at OSU. Tressel was good, Cooper was at least good, Bruce was at least good. Look at the place and all they have going for them. Little of that exists at Akron. I'm not even certain Tressel will have the hunger to do what it takes to be good at Akron. Coaching "for the love of the game" doesn't do it for me. There has to be more at Akron.

Just know that among Zips Nation, you stand completely alone in your belief, GP1. YES TO TRESS...say it, dream it, make it happen.

I think DrZ would disagree. I also think JZ84 might disagree. I also think Zips Win! might disagree.

Great question. It doesn't take much detail. The same logic as the old "build facilities and we will be good" applies. We can't just assume that hiring Tressel will make us good. It takes a lot more than that to be good.

I dont' doubt that Tressel is a good coach. It's easy to be at least good at OSU. Tressel was good, Cooper was at least good, Bruce was at least good. Look at the place and all they have going for them. Little of that exists at Akron. I'm not even certain Tressel will have the hunger to do what it takes to be good at Akron. Coaching "for the love of the game" doesn't do it for me. There has to be more at Akron.

You said great question and then never answered it. LOL

What shortcuts did he take?

EDIT. Sorry, I didn't answer your original question. Here is why his suspension is a problem even if it is for half a season.

Headline 1..."Akron Hires Tressel".

Headline 2 (one week after headline 1)..."NCAA Suspension Cloud Over Tressel".

Headline 3 (one week after Headline 2)...."NCAA Still Undecided on Tressel's Fate".

Headline 4 (one week after Headline 3)...."NCAA Suspends Tressel Six Games"....OR...."NCAA Suspends Tressel Full Season".

Headline 5 (one week before season)..."Tresselless Zips Take Field Against BCS Team X".

Headlines 6-10...same as Headline 5 with minor changes.

Headline 11...assuming he only gets six games...."Zips Try to Right Ship After 0-6 Start or 1-5 Start"

Am I really being negative when I write this stuff, or is there so much potential negativity to step in it makes the writing easy? There is a lot of really short term negativity to hiring Tressel that could lead to more of the same for Zips football.

If Tressel gets suspended for an entire season, what would the coaching staff look like? Who would be the head coach? Basically, hiring Tressel would allow him to name the head coach for potentially an entire season....Do we really want that? How much are we willing to pay Tressel to do nothing when we are already paying another coach to do nothing?

I heard that if Tressel does come to Akron, a certain coach will follow him. And if Tressel does get suspended, he could be the head coach during that time. I promised my source I wouldn't tell anyone(they pleaded to me not to), so I won't say it right now; however, the person has been mentioned a few times of being a possible candidate....