Its going to be Terry Bowden

Hilltopper

Now who does he bring in as assistants. No need for a new topic I don't think.

Interesting. No names come to mind and maybe that is a good thing. Maybe the type of person he is looking for would be more appropriate for where we are today. The one thing he really lacks is the connection with Ohio coaches. He will need to get some guys connected around Ohio, Michigan and W. PA.

Somebody earlier (on another thread maybe) mentioned his brother Jeff who has been with him at UNA coaching WRs. His previous time here was so brief, it's hard to imagine there being strong enough ties remaining from that period.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's revisit Ludwig von Mises and his three elements for change. Maybe it will give us some insight into how Bowden was thinking.

1. Uneasiness with current state

2. Vision of a better state

3. A belief that a better state is achievable

A guy like Bowden has been to the top. There isn't much time for him to get back to the top if that is what he wants. The addiction is powerful. My guess is he would like one last shot at the big time and was uneasy with his current situation. A short stint in Akron may be just what he needs and he knows it.

That takes us to a vision of a better state. He wants to coach D-IA again and sees himself that way or he wouldn't have signed on the dotted line. I'm down with someone believing in themselves. He needed to get in somewhere he could prove himself again. The way he left Auburn wasn't the greatest and lots of schools probably didn't go after him. Screw those schools and their shortsightedness...proof that college athletics is run by idiots.

A believe that a better state is achievable. He probably looked around at Akron and believed getting good, and in a hurry, was possible at Akron. It is. I think we all agree that the potential at Akron is very good and we have not taken advantage of our situation. Bowden is a guy who can and is probably very comfortable in his own skin. He is probably comfortable taking the Zips and turning them around quickly.

I would have no problem with Bowden coming to Akron, turning it around in 2-3 years and moving on to a better opportunity. von Mises would tell me that is how he is thinking. If this happened, we would have the confidence and momentum we so badly need. This program just needs to get off of its back and get moving forward. Everything else is in place to be good. Bowden will do a good job because he has to do well for himself and I'm OK with that.

I'm really excited today!!!!!

Let's revisit Ludwig von Mises and his three elements for change. Maybe it will give us some insight into how Bowden was thinking.

A guy like Bowden has been to the top. There isn't much time for him to get back to the top if that is what he wants. The addiction is powerful. My guess is he would like one last shot at the big time and was uneasy with his current situation. A short stint in Akron may be just what he needs and he knows it.

That takes us to a vision of a better state. He wants to coach D-IA again and sees himself that way or he wouldn't have signed on the dotted line. I'm down with someone believing in themselves. He needed to get in somewhere he could prove himself again. The way he left Auburn wasn't the greatest and lots of schools probably didn't go after him. Screw those schools and their shortsightedness...proof that college athletics is run by idiots.

A believe that a better state is achievable. He probably looked around at Akron and believed getting good, and in a hurry, was possible at Akron. It is. I think we all agree that the potential at Akron is very good and we have not taken advantage of our situation. Bowden is a guy who can and is probably very comfortable in his own skin. He is probably comfortable taking the Zips and turning them around quickly.

I would have no problem with Bowden coming to Akron, turning it around in 2-3 years and moving on to a better opportunity. von Mises would tell me that is how he is thinking. If this happened, we would have the confidence and momentum we so badly need. This program just needs to get off of its back and get moving forward. Everything else is in place to be good. Bowden will do a good job because he has to do well for himself and I'm OK with that.

+1 :bow:

I think it is a really good hire for the program.

My only snag is that Terry seems like the kind of coach who will always have his eye on the next job. Does anyone else get that sense? That is the first thing that popped into my head when I read about it.

If it is not, then God Bless him. If it is, then hopefully he will leave the program in a better place than he found it.

Finally a hire in the football program that I can get behind.

Head Coaching Experience - Check

Proven ability to win at lower levels - Check

Recognizable name for the community - Check

Quite frankly I could care less if he bolts for a better job upon getting things turned around here. If he can lead us to a couple of 9 or 10+ win seasons first we will at least be an attractive enough destination that we will have a quality pool of coaches to choose his successor from. Either way, this is a long way down the road, if it ever happens. For right now, I'm going to enjoy this early Christmas present. It's a good day to be a Zip.

Quite frankly I could care less if he bolts for a better job upon getting things turned around here. If he can lead us to a couple of 9 or 10+ win seasons first we will at least be an attractive enough destination that we will have a quality pool of coaches to choose his successor from. Either way, this is a long way down the road, if it ever happens. For right now, I'm going to enjoy this early Christmas present. It's a good day to be a Zip.

The only problem I see is Gerry Faust had all the same qualities when hired at UA. Could be Faust part. 2, I'm trying to be optimistic, but the bad luck we have with the football program is killing my spirits.

The only problem I see is Gerry Faust had all the same qualities when hired at UA. Could be Faust part. 2, I'm trying to be optimistic, but the bad luck we have with the football program is killing my spirits.

Faust never coached at a lower level.

I like this quote by Todd Porter:

"Landing Bowden is a coup for the Mid-American Conference school and gives Akron a high-profile football coach second only to Ohio State’s Urban Meyer in the state."

Linky

After three loooooong years it looks as if we've finally seen our first effect of The Info.

Here's an interesting quote also. "According to the source, Bowden reached out to Akron."

If that's true, that I believe we have a winner who will not flag or falter.

Any man who can look at Akron's dismal situation and see opportunity MUST believe in himself. He didn't just come here just to take a job.

How about proven ability to win at UPPER levels? In fact, the HIGHEST levels.

That's the kicker that we've never had with any other coaching prospect in our history.

The name will also have immense benefits.

Really no secret that Bowden wants one more shot in the SEC. He has said that. If Von Mises,Von Moltke,Von Braun or Von Schlup said it was inevitable,so be it.

Kornheiser seems to think Bowden to UA is a great move on PTI.

Does anyone know if I could find a replay of this anywhere online? I'd love to see Akron get a mention on PTI!

It was part of the big finish. They said something like....former Auburn coach Terry Bowden hired by Akron. Is is a good move? In the last 24 games Akron is 2-22, yes it was a good move. this guy can win.

Faust never coached at a lower level.

I know Akron is down right now, but high school technically is a lower level. Faust had a highly successful run at Moeller High School in Cincinnati, Ohio from 1962 to 1980, where he built the program from scratch. The Crusaders under Faust had a 178–23–2 record and included seven unbeaten seasons, four national prep titles, and five Ohio state titles in his last six seasons.

Now if one of the criteria is success at a higher level, there is definitely a difference between Gerry and Terry.

Does anyone know if I could find a replay of this anywhere online? I'd love to see Akron get a mention on PTI!

It was part of the big finish. They said something like....former Auburn coach Terry Bowden hired by Akron. Is is a good move? In the last 24 games Akron is 2-22, yes it was a good move. this guy can win.

Well, cool! Thanks!

That was about it - here is a screen capture of it. That is a Zips logo by Bowdens head. Nice to get them talking about us for a good reason.

gallery_1310_36_1204400.jpg