92.3 The Fan to discuss "Rumors" Football to move down

K-Roo

Morning show to have baseball player on and also talk about Akron shutting down baseball and that UA "may downgrade the football program."

In the 8 am hour.

More great pub.

WIll be this morning -- heard them promo it on way to work..

Kylie and Ken Carmen -- Carmen is a UA Alum.

Carmen is asking why the University is suddenly in such a big $$ deficit. Discussion is why reduce the Football after you just sunk $65 million into the stadium.

Discussion is about sports being the marquee of any university. That Bowden seems to be making progress and this rumor may undermine him and he might leave if this is true.

They are about to bring on the interviews.

somebody should contact Nathan and have him call them asap.

... if you want to listen...

No thanks.

"I'm not focused on dropping anywhere. I'm focused on staying where we are, and being competitive, and having a good team on the field," Mortimer says. Mortimer says getting more people in InfoCision Stadium - for both athletic and other events - is a focus.

The University needs to take advantage of the public's new found interest in the program, and market the positives. Information about the program is actually reaching Joe Akron that we always speak of. Now give them the hard sell on the program instead of the BS.

• Like 1

No thanks.

"I'm not focused on dropping anywhere. I'm focused on staying where we are, and being competitive, and having a good team on the field," Mortimer says. Mortimer says getting more people in InfoCision Stadium - for both athletic and other events - is a focus.

The University needs to take advantage of the public's new found interest in the program, and market the positives. Information about the program is actually reaching Joe Akron that we always speak of. Now give them the hard sell on the program instead of the BS.

This.

they need to turn this into a positive. Put the fault on the area for not supporting. Look, we have a great new stadium, a big name coach that is trying to turn this thing around. We need the support from the area to come to these football games, come to the basketball and soccer games. We rely on those programs to help fund not only baseball, but all of our women's sports. Our track and field teams, which recently had great success.

But he did not do that. Completely missed the chance to really make an impact again on the lack of fan support and why that plays into these kind of decisions.

K-Roo and Dr. Z get it.

This is the time when strong leadership is required. Scarborough...Van Horne...whomever...needs to come out guns-a-blazin' and say: "How the F#*k does some wing nut faculty member's uneducated, self-serving opinions get any media traction whatsoever? We are D-1A, we'll always be D1-A, we have a great team this season that will contend for a MAC title. We have a great coach and great kids whom we support 100%. The last 6 years are ancient history. It is time to move forward and get the football program back on a Championship track. Our team this season will be great. Get your tickets now and come down and have some fun."

"Furthermore, to address the issue of revenue - our last AD made a horrific football HC hire. We've been politically correct in ignoring this fact for some time....but in light of the shadow he cast over our program, it is time to call a spade a spade. At a time where it was critical to put our collective foot on the gas pedal he single-handedly set our program back 10 years. The hole he put us in was unprecedented, but we are finally out of it and moving forward. It is short-sighted and ignorant to look at the past 5 or 6 seasons of Akron football and InfoCision and say that is our fate. Instead, the football program and this 30,000 seat stadium are our way OUT of our financial bind. That stadium is a way to galvanize the local community, generate revenue, get alumni and prospective students on our campus...it is a sleeping giant that we are committed to awakening in 2015."

"There is one reason to drop to 1-AA. That's to save 22 scholarships. But why would we do that? You can't tell me with the facilities you see on campus, the coaching staff, the student athletes...that Akron football can't compete with Bowling Green, K.e.n.t. State, Toledo, Ball State, etc? That's insane. We can compete at the 1-A level. We can, and should compete for a MAC Championship every season. And after enduring and overcoming what Tom Wistercill and Rob Ianello did to the football program, the winning starts now. If you want to discuss dropping to 1-AA, have an educated discussion with me after the 2015 season. Until then, discuss Cate Jenner or deflated footballs or Johnny Manziel or whatever other "sports" topics you "sports" guys discuss for 12 hours every day. Leave Akron Football alone, because, to be quite honest, you know nothing about it."

• Like 15

K-Roo and Dr. Z get it.

This is the time when strong leadership is required. Scarborough...Van Horne...whomever...needs to come out guns-a-blazin' and say: "How the F#*k does some wing nut faculty member's uneducated, self-serving opinions get any media traction whatsoever? We are D-1A, we'll always be D1-A, we have a great team this season that will contend for a MAC title. We have a great coach and great kids whom we support 100%. The last 6 years are ancient history. It is time to move forward and get the football program back on a Championship track. Our team this season will be great. Get your tickets now and come down and have some fun."

"Furthermore, to address the issue of revenue - our last AD made a horrific football HC hire. We've been politically correct in ignoring this fact for some time....but in light of the shadow he cast over our program, it is time to call a spade a spade. At a time where it was critical to put our collective foot on the gas pedal he single-handedly set our program back 10 years. The hole he put us in was unprecedented, but we are finally out of it and moving forward. It is short-sighted and ignorant to look at the past 5 or 6 seasons of Akron football and InfoCision and say that is our fate. Instead, the football program and this 30,000 seat stadium are our way OUT of our financial bind. That stadium is a way to galvanize the local community, generate revenue, get alumni and prospective students on our campus...it is a sleeping giant that we are committed to awakening in 2015."

"There is one reason to drop to 1-AA. That's to save 22 scholarships. But why would we do that? You can't tell me with the facilities you see on campus, the coaching staff, the student athletes...that Akron football can't compete with Bowling Green, K.e.n.t. State, Toledo, Ball State, etc? That's insane. We can compete at the 1-A level. We can, and should compete for a MAC Championship every season. And after enduring and overcoming what Tom Wistercill and Rob Ianello did to the football program, the winning starts now. If you want to discuss dropping to 1-AA, have an educated discussion with me after the 2015 season. Until then, discuss Cate Jenner or deflated footballs or Johnny Manziel or whatever other "sports" topics you "sports" guys discuss for 12 hours every day. Leave Akron Football alone, because, to be quite honest, you know nothing about it."

I wish we had more guys with your passion CK. :rock:

Post of the year by CK.

Why no blow-bag faculty members bloviating to the BJ during the Ianello Pigskin Holocaust? Why speak now? With the demise of baseball, they just couldn't restrain themselves from letting their anti-athletics true colors show and pile on at the expense of the most visible program. Their sentiments should have been dismissed out of hand by Rick Armon. I have to wonder what axe he has to grind with UA to author an article based on such an absurd recommendation.

As infuriating as the article is to anyone who cares, it is as puzzling why no one from the athletic department would set the record straight. I agree with Zippy5. CK for AD.

Why speak now?

I'm guessing it has less to do with the actual football program, but Dr S's cuts. They are fearful of their jobs, and are in defense mode trying diversionary tactics. Who knows, it may actually backfire on them.

K-Roo and Dr. Z get it.

Well said CK.

CK - it's a great post but what do you expect SS or the AD to do? Get suckered in to a no-win media battle against against your own faculty? I hope they don't.

The spade has been called a spade. We have beaten the iCoach holocaust into the ground. We get it.

The answer and the solution is simple. The community needs to go to the games! Last year would have been great but it didn't happen, and we are a laughing stock. I guarantee if the community would have supported the team, we would have won 1-2 more home games and we might have signed a couple better recruits.

The school has provided a first class venue, brought in one of the best coaches in the country. Show you care Akron. The team will be inspired and make you proud.

CK - it's a great post but what do you expect SS or the AD to do? Get suckered in to a no-win media battle against against your own faculty? I hope they don't.

The spade has been called a spade. We have beaten the iCoach holocaust into the ground. We get it.

The answer and the solution is simple. The community needs to go to the games! Last year would have been great but it didn't happen, and we are a laughing stock. I guarantee if the community would have supported the team, we would have won 1-2 more home games and we might have signed a couple better recruits.

The school has provided a first class venue, brought in one of the best coaches in the country. Show you care Akron. The team will be inspired and make you proud.

This us a valid point about SS and the AD. The faculty senate acted irresponsibly by creating public turmoil with a superficial understanding of how things work and intentionally put their new prez and interim AD in a bad position. Compete lack f professionalism.

• Like 1

Morning show to have baseball player on and also talk about Akron shutting down baseball and that UA "may downgrade the football program."

In the 8 am hour.

More great pub.

WIll be this morning -- heard them promo it on way to work..

Kylie and Ken Carmen -- Carmen is a UA Alum.

So 92.3 made up a rumor? Shocker.