2015 Bowl Thread

LZIp

Like I said, there isn't a certain place that the MAC champion goes

That is one of the things that disappoints me the most about MAC football. There needs to be that one bowl that everybody strives for, win the MAC title and you go there and play a quality national opponent if the biggest bowls or playoff don't invite you. I think every group of five conference needs a specific bowl for their champion.

Officially there is no 'pecking order' for MAC bowl placement. The top 5 teams go to a bowl period.

Boca Raton bowl vs AAC

Famous Idaho Potato bowl vs Mtn West

Go Daddy Bowl vs Sun Belt

Popeyes Bahama Bowl vs Conference USA

Raycom Camelia Bowl vs Sun Belt

In addition there is a secondary tie (6th MAC team) in with the San Diego County Poisetta Bowl vs the Mtn west or Army IF one cant fill their committment.

That leaves Akron (MAC #7) .... To fill in whatever is available Cure bowl, New Mexico bowl, R&L New orleans bowl, St petersburg bowl, Quick Lane Bowl.

Good luck to us! In the meantime lets get to Kansas City and the College cup in European Football by beating Creighton today at 4!

That is one of the things that disappoints me the most about MAC football. There needs to be that one bowl that everybody strives for, win the MAC title and you go there and play a quality national opponent if the biggest bowls or playoff don't invite you. I think every group of five conference needs a specific bowl for their champion.

So. . .every G5 champ should play who? The 5th or 6th place team from the P5 conferences?

I guess I'd be for the idea if the reward isn't Detroit

I'd even be OK with Detroit if there could be the promise of a P5 team or a top 25 type G5 being the opponent every year. The Motor City/ Pizza game had a B10 tie-in but many years they couldn't qualify a team. A conference champ, ANY conference champ deserves a guaranteed better bowl matchup than that.

I'd love it if somewhere down the road we'd start seeing G5 champs in games like the Liberty, Alamo, Sun, or some other well known long standing current second tier (or would that be third?) P5 bowl.

Since the BCS first came about I have always thought it fantastic that the best ranked G5 team was guaranteed a big bowl spot but I have also contended that the drop-off in bowl possibilities is far too far if you aren't that single G5 team. No offense to the Go Daddy or Carmellia Bowls but ten or eleven win conference champs should play in better bowls against better or more prestigious opponents than those games can offer. Don't get me wrong I love those bowls and I am happy they exist but they should be more for the six to nine win G5 squads.

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/585916?referrer_id=878183

BGSU to play Georgia Southern in the GoDaddy Bowl. Should be a good game, even without Babers calling plays.

The above report seems more reliable to me, but this report has Georgia Southern going to the Cure Bowl.

This report has Marshall at the St. Petersburgh Bowl vs. UConn. However, this report has NIU going to the St. Pete Bowl.

Here is what Steinbrecher said,

"...."There are only a few things I can say with absolute certainty," Steinbrecher said before the MAC championship game Friday. "One is that the GoDaddy Bowl has the first selection among MAC schools, although it may not necessarily take the champion.....Everyone wants to have an attractive matchup," he said. "One focus is on the records of teams, trying to make a comparable matchup. There is a geographic component for some leagues, but that generally is not a key component for the MAC. We do try to not have schools make repeat appearances in bowls, but that doesn't mean it can't happen."

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/585916?referrer_id=878183

BGSU to play Georgia Southern in the GoDaddy Bowl. Should be a good game, even without Babers calling plays.

If this indeed is true it goes toward what I said earlier in this thread, no offense to Georgia Southern but the MAC champion deserves a better opponent than an a four loss Sun Belt team. That's not to say that GSU can't beat BG just that it doesn't give the MAC champ a chance to make much of a blip on the radar of national perception. I'd rather see someone like Ohio or WMU in the GoDaddy.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/bronco-beat-blog/article48283190.html

NIU to San Diego and Toledo to Boca Raton. This article projects us playing un Tuscon, but that can't happen unless they threw all the MAC's bowl obligations out the window with the lack of eligible teams.

That leaves Boise, Detroit, and Montgomery as possible destinations.

Anywhere but Boise, please...

Edited by ZachTheZip