Game 3—@Marshall Thundering Herd

This win is up there with the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl win as most important for Bowden Ball.

Keeping the momentum next week is going to be key. As stated, App St. will come to win (as they did, what, 9 or so years ago against Michigan?). Win, then bring on Can't State and their AU (symbol for "gold", the color they claim to have, or in this case Awful Uniforms).

Wow, the Bowden haters are suddenly quiet.  I agree that the personal fouls and lining up off sides, etc. need addressed asap.  I also agree that the program has issues, but does anyone remember actually travelling to OOC games like Pitt or Marshall and not just winning but winning big? 

Again, I don't think Bowden walks on water but after JD and Rob from ND, my only request is if you want Bowden fired write down your short list of replacement coaches.  Saying, "he sucks, fire him" is easy.  The hard part is saying who would you hire in his place and who would you actually get to come here.  Let's end the scrapping between Zips boosters (difference of opinions should be welcomed, but not the name calling) and get ready for App State. 

Go Zips!

Edited by Zip JD

5 hours ago, Zip JD said:

Wow, the Bowden haters are suddenly quiet.  I agree that the personal fouls and lining up off sides, etc. need addressed asap.  I also agree that the program has issues, but does anyone remember actually travelling to OOC games like Pitt or Marshall and not just winning but winning big? 

Again, I don't think Bowden walks on water but after JD and Rob from ND, my only request is if you want Bowden fired write down your short list of replacement coaches.  Saying, "he sucks, fire him" is easy.  The hard part is saying who would you hire in his place and who would you actually get to come here.  Let's end the scrapping between Zips boosters (difference of opinions should be welcomed, but not the name calling) and get ready for App State. 

Go Zips!

No one on this board needs this crap right now. I'm happy you are a fan (or a disgruntled Herd follower), but everyone here has suffered long and deserves to bask in this glory. Keep following though and join Zipsnation as a regular poster. Welcome JD (Brookhart ha ha?).          

Edited by UA1987

2 hours ago, Zip JD said:

Go Zips!

Who the heck has ever said fire Bowden?

I found it interesting that Marshall fans considered this a "trap" game for them. They might have been favored but I thought it was a little over the top to consider it a trap game. I always felt App State would prove to be a tougher game for us. It turns out that we were more who people thought Marshall was and Marshall was more of who people thought we were. I think there is not reason to believe we can't play a competitive game at home next week and I think the odds makers will favor App State, but we can win the game.

3 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Ok....Who wants to admit that when Marshall was up 21-7.....AND had the ball....that it was "here we go again" time ?

2nd Quarter Scoring was really 34-0?  Isn't that nearly mathematically impossible?

Who knew that this was also our first win EVER in Huntington?

What a day !!!  Hope we saved some explosive plays for next week.  

I will admit that the Kangaroos chances was Zero at that time(given their track record the last 5 years), but with that being said, if, and I mean IF the Flags are kept at the minimum, this Team can score at will....

30 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Feel free to link a post. I searched "fire bowden" and didnt come up with much.

8 minutes ago, you am i said:

Keep looking. It's there.

You beat me to it. It is a Sub-Topic that nobody will outright start a thread on...

1 hour ago, Buckzip said:

Absolutely a team win. All facets of the team contributed to this win.

Definitely a team win. I don't think I have ever seen a game where a team scored 9 TDs and they were scored by 9 different players until today. O'Leary had 11 points and 9 others had 6 each.  

I'm actually going to give a lot of the credit for this win to the coaches for what they did during the course of the game. 

1) Marshall was passing the ball like crazy, and we eventually found ways to frustrate them and get some stops.

2) Marshall started having success running the ball, and we made adjustments there to take them away from it again.

3) We found ways to get some big running plays with a #3 Running back.

4) Getting Traylor-Bennet involved?  Really?  Even on a TE screen and TE shovel pass?

5) We found some pass routes that started opening the field.  Forget the big deep balls for a second.  We're always going to try to exploit those one-on-one matchups.  But, some of the biggest pass plays that kept chains moving included some of those catches that Lane made on shorter inside slants.  

6) And maybe more importantly.....they kept these guys focused when it looked like Marshall was pulling away early.  

3 hours ago, Zip JD said:

Again, I don't think Bowden walks on water but after JD and Rob from ND, my only request is if you want Bowden fired write down your short list of replacement coaches.  Saying, "he sucks, fire him" is easy. 

Bowden is objectively the best coach the Zips have had in the past decade.  The Nay sayers will continue to pile on, and they'll list coaches like WMU's coach saying "why we couldn't have landed him" or some other nonsense.  The objective fact is, Akron was lucky to get a BOWDEN to come coach at a 2-22 team.  To have the legendary Bobby Bowden frequently talk about this program.  And the program has turned the corner.  And hopefully he has, and is bringing stability to this program.  

Is he the coach to get this team to beyond just stability?  Time will tell.  But he is OBJECTIVELY the Best coach in Akron D-1 history.  Anyone calling to fire him is being ignorant.

I think this game is a lesson to ZipsNation.  KEEP CALM.  Don't Freak out until the game is over.    We've got a good QB, Good WRs, it appears we have several okay RBs, and a defense that has the ability to step up as well.  

The fact of the matter is, we aren't the caliber of team to beat the Wisconsin's of the world.  Yet.  But first things first:  lets do what we haven't done before or in a long time.

Continue to go 2-2 in the OOC

Beat Marshall at Marshall (Check)
Go 3-1 in the OOC (TBD)
Beat Ohio (TBD)

Beat BGSU (TBD)

Win the MAC East (TBD)
Win the MACC (TBD)

Let's make progress on these things first and then worry about beaing the Wisconsin's of the world IMHO.  We FINALLY have watchable Zips football, enjoy the ride.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I think this game is a lesson to ZipsNation.  KEEP CALM.  Don't Freak out until the game is over.    We've got a good QB, Good WRs, it appears we have several okay RBs, and a defense that has the ability to step up as well.  

The fact of the matter is, we aren't the caliber of team to beat the Wisconsin's of the world.  Yet.  But first things first:  lets do what we haven't done before or in a long time.

On the topic of KEEP CALM, I think it's just as important to "not freak out" when things are going badly, as it is to not get too far ahead of ourselves when things are going well.  We've all been through this too many times.  We beat Pitt two years ago right after getting blown out by Marshall.  Last year, we had the breakout offensive game against Louisiana, right before we couldn't find the end zone at all the next week against OU.  

Wisconsin played awful today.  Today, we played dominating football for 3 quarters.   Would things have been different if we were playing Wisconsin today?  Maybe so.  But the moral of this story is that you just don't know how a team is going to perform from week to week, especially this early in the season.  Today just happened to be our day.  Last Saturday was not.  And next week is still unknown.  

27 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm actually going to give a lot of the credit for this win to the coaches for what they did during the course of the game. 

1) Marshall was passing the ball like crazy, and we eventually found ways to frustrate them and get some stops.

2) Marshall started having success running the ball, and we made adjustments there to take them away from it again.

3) We found ways to get some big running plays with a #3 Running back.

4) Getting Traylor-Bennet involved?  Really?  Even on a TE screen and TE shovel pass?

5) We found some pass routes that started opening the field.  Forget the big deep balls for a second.  We're always going to try to exploit those one-on-one matchups.  But, some of the biggest pass plays that kept chains moving included some of those catches that Lane made on shorter inside slants.  

6) And maybe more importantly.....they kept these guys focused when it looked like Marshall was pulling away early.  

Agree with these points, plus the fact that I thought the D came in playing a lot more aggressively. I was starting to have serious concerns about our lack of defensive forced turnovers.

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

On the topic of KEEP CALM, I think it's just as important to "not freak out" when things are going badly, as it is to not get too far ahead of ourselves when things are going well.  We've all been through this too many times.  We beat Pitt two years ago right after getting blown out by Marshall.  Last year, we had the breakout offensive game against Louisiana, right before we couldn't find the end zone at all the next week against OU.  

Wisconsin played awful today.  Today, we played dominating football for 3 quarters.   Would things have been different if we were playing Wisconsin today?  Maybe so.  But the moral of this story is that you just don't know how a team is going to perform from week to week, especially this early in the season.  Today just happened to be our day.  Last Saturday was not.  And next week is still unknown.  

Very well said :bow::bow:

9 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

And don't put too much stock into "team a blew out team b a, therefore we should blowout team b." Every team matches up differently, has different injury issues, and comes with a different mental state each game.

11 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Agree with these points, plus the fact that I thought the D came in playing a lot more aggressively. I was starting to have serious concerns about our lack of defensive forced turnovers.

Still very much concerned about penalties, though. Too many facemasks and personal fouls.