Game 3—@Marshall Thundering Herd

I agree big win, Zip coverage by local media. The paper in Huntingdon had a nice long article that I read online.

Our defense gave up a lot, but I am not sure, still what that says about D. We got better as the day went along on December and Marshall was supposed to be a high powered offense. We don't have to complete shut down high powered offenses to win, just contain them, which we did. I was very happy when we shut them down and they had to settle for 3 in the red zone in Q4.

I am not sure if they switched how Zach Guiser played, but he had a huge game for us.

I hope we get a decent crowd next week. This was a huge win and I hope local news picks it up this week.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Since we never get an opportunity to mention "National Rankings" in regards to Zips Football.....

Real Time RPI has us jumping to #64 today, with the Marshall Win.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_power_rankings_Full.html

No MAC East teams ahead of us.  The closest is OU at #81.   

A wn over Appy State will boost that even higher. 

49 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I hope we get a decent crowd next week. This was a huge win and I hope local news picks it up this week.

Earlier today, I pointed to the game at home vs. Western Michigan as a potential game where we might see some additional activity from the local college football fans, if we keep winning.  

Our "inner circle" appreciates a quality win like this, but it isn't going to rattle many cages just yet.  And the media (or lack of) isn't going to help.  

A couple of comments have been made about coaching and I think TB/Milwee deserve credit for exploiting the freshman Cornerback, Chris Jackson. I would imagine that App State will be prepared for this type of situation and come with a game plan to so try to stop it. That being said, with Lane's athleticism, a game plan might not be enough and we know that focusing on Lane leaves you very vulnerable with Wolf and Natson.

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Marshall football notebook: Akron picks on Herd freshman cornerback

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Bump

Seriously.  I'll meet you where ever you want & give you $15 for the DVD & your time.

I have all but the last 5 minutes or so. Had the DVR set for three hours, the game went over.

Just be aware that it will be fairly low quality since it has to be recorded at a setting to get 3 hours on DVD and of course DVD recorders take the data from RCA connectors, not HDMI. Probably still be pretty good, I have done some movies and they look fine on a 50" TV, but they are recorded on a better setting due to the length.

7 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I have all but the last 5 minutes or so. Had the DVR set for three hours, the game went over.

Just be aware that it will be fairly low quality since it has to be recorded at a setting to get 3 hours on DVD and of course DVD recorders take the data from RCA connectors, not HDMI. Probably still be pretty good, I have done some movies and they look fine on a 50" TV, but they are recorded on a better setting due to the length.

GREAT!  And thank you!  Can't wait to watch!  I'll P.M. you.

I agree that coaching made a big difference in this game. Our personnel were about equal with maybe a slight edge to Marshall, but our coaches did a better job in utilizing what we had. I have criticized Milwee in the past. He deserves full credit for keeping our offense rolling and recognizing mismatches. Congratulations coach AJ! In like manner we've got to credit coach Amato for making good adjustments to what Marshall was doing. I especially liked the way he used so many players. What a testiment to a coach's confidence in the whole team. He kept the legs fresh and the pressure on. If you played for the Zips wouldn't you want to come to practice and work your ass off because the coaches recognize effort and commitment?

This team will get better and it all goes back to Bowden. He has systematically rebuilt the progrum bringing in better talent and allowing it to be seen. I've said before that he is a better coach than we deserve but I am thrilled we have him and he wants to build his legacy here. Keep going coach! What a great win! More are coming. Let's put the butts in the stands for this team.

1 hour ago, zvillezip said:

Does anyone know the status of Brown?  He took a vicious hit on his leg.

It's pretty tough to get straightforward answers on injuries from TB or any college coach these days. I hope he is OK. It was a vicious hit cheap shot. You really hate to see a kid get hurt on a cheap shot like that. A 15 yard penalty doesn't seem severe enough, especially when you compare it to Hamilton's taunting penalty.

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

So did Van Edwards play at all or was it all Manny Morgan?

I don't remember ever seeing Van on the field, but he was dressed.  The word was that he tried to "give it a go", but was kept out once the game started.  

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

How'd Manny look?  He had, what, 130-ish yards?  

I indicated before this game that all we need to do with this offense is plug someone in there who can get us about 10 productive carries.  He did FAR more than what I expected.  But we all need to keep in mind that this will remain a spread-it around-the-field air attack.  And I don't see that changing, no matter who is in the backfield.  My only worry is that we need the bigger backs for short yardage situations.  I'd almost feel better using Chapman in a "wildcat" formation for those kinds of plays right now, like we did at one juncture in this game.  

22 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I indicated before this game that all we need to do with this offense is plug someone in there who can get us about 10 productive carries.  He did FAR more than what I expected.  But we all need to keep in mind that this will remain a spread-it around-the-field air attack.  And I don't see that changing, no matter who is in the backfield.  My only worry is that we need the bigger backs for short yardage situations.  I'd almost feel better using Chapman in a "wildcat" formation for those kinds of plays right now, like we did at one juncture in this game.  

Agreed. Any of our backs are adequate for those 10+ carries per game. Ball is just a bonus due to his size and abilities. Some of the holes Manny had were remarkable and he capitalized on his opportunity. You have to feel happy for the 3rd strong back who was given an opportunity and had a big game.

I heard someone yell to put Cody Grice in on 4th and short during the VMI game. No doubt, we will miss him, but Ball does a better job than most guys at the back position in those circumstances.

On 9/18/2016 at 2:01 AM, K92 said:

For those of you that want to take pot shots at the "naysayers". . .

Give me a break.

Y'all take care & GO ZIPS!

No one was taking pot shots, cheap shots, or personal attacks at the "naysayers".  We're just pointing out that perhaps ZipsNation (not the website, but the fandom) would benefit from not overreacting to one game.  The sky is not falling, we need to take a step back and remain calm.   In the words of Tom Brady:  "Relax".  We finally have watchable, fun and enjoyable Zips football.  

As for leaving; I sincerely hope it was the alcohol talking.  I left earlier this year because I wasn't finding anything with the University of Akron enjoyable at the time, and I had a lot going on in my personal life.  I decided to give the forum another chance, because...we're actually winning!  There is something to enjoy about the University of Akron at this moment in time.  

I also would personally like to note on the side, completely unrelated to you Keener, that there seems to be a few more lurkers posting than there used to be.  I love it!  That's a good direction for the forum, and hopefully we can continue to get some views that are different and unique.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

One interesting note from this game as I watched it on TV - If you'd have told me I'd be hearing the Akron fans in the stands loud and clear over the Marshall crowd, I'd have said you were nuts. But you could.

Nice job Zips road warriors! 

We were just as loud as ever.  But there's a big difference between trying to be heard over 80,000 others, and only 8,000 others.  

22 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

We were just as loud as ever.  But there's a big difference between trying to be heard over 80,000 others, and only 8,000 others.  

You're joking, right? I can't find the real attendance numbers for this game, but based off the TV footage I'd guess there were 20k+, maybe 30k, in attendance. Say what you will about Marshall, but they have a large and loyal fan base for being a G5 team.

Edited by kreed5120

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

You're joking, right? I can't find the real attendance numbers for this game, but based off the TV footage I'd guess there were 20k+, maybe 30k, in attendance. Say what you will about Marshall, but they have a large and loyal fan base for being a G5 team.

I assumed it was more of an exaggeration than anything, but GoZips lists attendance at 24k.

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

As does App State.  Anyone see the crowd they pulled for the Miami game?  Sheesh...

39 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Say what you want about their "large and loyal fan base", but that changes quickly when you are getting your A$$ kicked at home.  

Trust me, when we pulled ahead again by 20 again towards the end of the 3rd, the pathways to the exits were more crowded than the seats.  And I assure you that there were less than 8k in that place for most of the rest of the afternoon.  

And honestly, I was just trying to illustrate the massive difference in size and noise between Madison WI and Huntington WV, after someone commented that you could actually hear the Akron fans this week.   

Edited by skip-zip
edit