Game 3—@Marshall Thundering Herd

I wanted to point out one other thing to those who were watching the game:

Does anyone remember the series in the 3rd quarter where Marshall was about to punt the ball, and they showed their QB on the sidelines throw his helmet down, and it bounced about 8 feet in the air?   That was a big moment.  I said to myself "We've really got them now...and they know it".  After that point, I felt like they stopped playing.  What a great example of how a team was playing so well just an hour or so earlier, and switched to a team that had completely lost their composure and will.    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Buckzip said:

Any word on Brown's injury?

The unfortunate downfall of following a barely covered G5 program. I'm still waiting to hear ANYTHING about Jordan George, who I think I and many others thought last season had a bright future and a chance to start this year. He isn't listed on the two deep or the injury report.  We also have no clue what Ball's injury is AFAIK. I doubt we'll hear much.

Best Zips win in a long, long time.  Very much more impressive than the Pitt win, if you ask me.  Going to bed tonight as a very happy Zips fan.

For those of you that want to take pot shots at the "naysayers". . .

Give me a break.

No one ever came on this board to do anything but give their take.  If speaking out when coaching has been bad (and it happens at every level) is a sin, I guess I'm going to Hell.  Sports used to be one of the last places where men could be men and not have to worry about the pc police scrutinizing every comment.  Every poster who has ever been labeled as a naysayer, Debbie Downer, or a Drano Chugger has been a true blue fan of the Zips.  We've lost enough to spread out over a few generations.  I want to win, goddamn it and I will not be ashamed for speaking my true feelings and baring my soul on this board.

That being said, I will apologize for personal attacks that came from my keyboard.  Perhaps, because I never posted behind an anonymous screen name, I felt justified in saying whatever I damn well pleased.  I will take my lumps for that and own up to it.  Will you please forgive me?

It has become patently obvious lately that I have fallen behind the times and I do not have the wherewithal to conduct myself with the proper netiquette required to stay in the good graces of an internet community.  I am a dinosaur.

Farewell, Zipsnation.  I am going back underground as a lurker.  I will be around in real life and I hope to see some of you real soon.  I can't post any more because I can't have my fandom questioned.

I love all things Akron.  Forever.  I bask in her glories and curse her defeats.

I am Akron.

Y'all take care & GO ZIPS!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K92 said:

I am Akron.

Y'all take care & GO ZIPS!

K92,

I don't post much on ZN.o; mostly just a reader, but you've gotta keep posting, dude!  I've got a handful of posers who's comments I look forward to reading & you're one of them.  

I'm sure there are a number of young, college-aged posters who are relatively new to ZN.o & that's a good thing for the future of ZN.o.  But they don't have any idea who you are.  And remember when you were young?  You probably thought you knew a lot more than you really did, too & were probably pretty vocal & adamant about your certainty too. Lol.  I'd beg you to just roll your eyes at any personal comments on here, cut them a break & chalk it up to inexperience & immaturity.  Maybe find humor in it?

The only reason you get attacked once in a while on here is because you have interesting takes.  Me?  I don't ever get attacked on here because I mostly just ask questions and post links to articles from Ohio.com. Lol.  Buy you... you give ZN.o way too much colorful personality to drop out!

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

K92,

I don't post much on this board; mostly just a reader, but you've gotta keep posting, dude!  I've got a handful posters who's comments I look forward to reading & you're one of them.  Please don't go anywhere!

I'm sure there are a number of young, college-aged posters who are relatively new to ZN.o & that's a good thing for the future of ZN.o.  But they don't have any idea who you are.  And remember when you were young?  You probably thought you knew a lot more than you actually did, too.  Lol.  I'd beg you to just roll your eyes at any personal comments on here, cut them a break, chalk it up to inexperience & immaturity & shrug it off.  Maybe find humor in it?

The only reason you get attacked once in a while is because you have interesting takes.  I don't ever get attacked here because I mostly just ask questions & post links to articles from Ohio.com. Lol.  But you... you give ZN.o way too much colorful personality to back out!

Good thoughts.  

I used to complain a little bit about the amount of personal attacks on this site.  But over time, I've come to realize that it's probably to be expected on an open forum.  People who choose to try to boost their own self esteem anonymously by attacking others on an internet site is certainly not unique to this forum.  I choose to ignore it.  At times, I even find it amusing.  But, I respect that everyone chooses to handle it differently.  It certainly hasn't ever made me want to stop participating here.  

With that said....I still really wish (and I've expressed this many times) that the primary use of this forum would be to share information about the Zips, and more importantly, to use this as a tool to help build support for Zips Athletics and turn our area into a true "Zips Nation", which is what it should be.  

57 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Any highlights out there? Unfortunately had some family stuff come up and followed the first three quarters on the CBS Sports game cast on my phone. Shameless plug for the CBS Sports app - tons better than the espn app. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/video?gameId=400869278

The Moore hit and blocked punt. It looks to me like Litton could have been called down (flat on his back) before the fumble, but I'll take the TD return :thumb:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

The Moore hit and blocked punt. It looks to me like Litton could have been called down (flat on his back) before the fumble, but I'll take the TD return :thumb:

I believe there was one camera angle from above that showed the ball coming loose. It was pretty close though, I think think it was confirmed, meaning the refs saw definitive evidence.

Not really sure where Keener is coming from on his rant. I hope he just drank a little too much celebrating the victory.

50 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I thought the same thing until they showed a shot from the end zone camera. You could actually see both of his hands empty as he was falling back.

44 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I thought the same thing until they showed a shot from the end zone camera. You could actually see both of his hands empty as he was falling back.

You got it right.  A few of the angles where you couldn't see the ball appeared as if the ball may not have come loose until his back hit the ground.  But ONE of the angles where you could see the ball clearly showed that the ball was still on the QB's body....but NEITHER hand was on the ball.

This is why it may have not appeared to be a fumble initially to some people.  We were probably very fortunate that there was an angle that clearly showed the officials that the ball was loose.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roopride said:

Too happy about the Zips win yesterday to complain about the abj coverage today.  Well I guess not really. 

I get the physical paper.  

After maybe the biggest road win in Zips Football history, there's a couple of paragraphs in the lower right corner of the sports page, with a little bit more to finish the story on Page 5. 

It's just a little game summary.

No pictures.  

No quotes or comments from anyone. 

Written by a "Staff Reporter"

Sick.  

1 hour ago, gozips19 said:

Still can't believe Akron put up 65 on the road at Marshall! JoJo and Lane are studs. 

Some younger guys that stood out to me were Davis and Featherstone. Both are athletes. Liked what I saw from 91 on the D line in addition to Moore and Broxen. Still disappointed in Rachael 

Guiser had a blocked punt and a brutal come back block on the same play to spring the TD return, plus an interception. Very good coming up on run plays too. We did not have 3 linebackers in most of the day and they still put up a lot of passing yards. Hope had trouble all day with the 6"7" receiver Marshall had. Despite giving so many yards I still think the D played fairly well in a very hard hitting game, but the Offense shined.        

Edited by UA1987

34 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

We did not have 3 linebackers in most of the day and they still put up a lot of passing yards.     

I pointed out earlier that we should credit our coaches for the ways they adjusted during the game.  So, I am glad someone brought this up.  

I can recall plays where I saw Ulysses Gilbert was shifting more toward the middle of the field before the snap.  I never identified how often, whether it was because he was filling in on certain downs for the interior LB, or that there were only 2 LBs on the field at that time.  And apparently, based on what you are saying, this alignment was happening quite often. 

Thanks for posting.