Zips @ BGSU, Tuesday, 2/21

clarkwgriswold

7 minutes ago, wadszip said:

I knew this team would struggle in 2017 ... just figured it would be 2017-18.

This team has been exposed.  A first round NIT knockout (if they even get that) is the best we can hope for.

Now, go ahead and destroy me for why I'm wrong.

giphy.gif

Edited by zippy5
  • Like 1

This is just venting:

There's a lot to say and nothing to say.  I'm as loyal as they come, but I tuned out of the season in the 2nd half of the Kent game.  I tuned out on this season being anything as special as we were made to believe it would be.   Frankly, a nice, relaxing 12-12 season with a late season surge would be really nice about now or any year instead of this constant melodrama.  Hell, even when our players are healthy and aren't on suspension this crap still happens. 

I can't explain it.  (Coming here for some misery loving company) This just seems to be the pattern year after year after year.  We have these great starts or mid-season peeks and then everyone figures us out.  Does it really matter what seed we get?  I'm thinking it might be better for them to have a first round game at home and maybe shake off whatever is going on here. 

I was just astonished by the sloppiness.  It reminded me of those Kitten games when they would one possession after another just strip the ball out of our players hands.

Always hopeful and would love to be cruising along right now but not having any expectations going into the tournament is a bit of a relief.

Guys shooting 3 point shots in transition is great if they are making them.  Antino had the worst game in a while.  One for 8 shooting and 3 turnovers.  Kwan 2 for 10 with 2 turnovers and 0 offensive rebounds.  These guys both having bad games is a killer.  I really think these guys are wearing down at the end of the season.  Utomi played 15 minutes and only took one shot.  We need him to get involved in the offense.  Dunn Martin played well.  At the end of the game would liked to see him in there instead of Antino.  For the last shot would have like to see Poke in there for his jumping ability and maybe an alley oop to win the game. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

This is just venting:

There's a lot to say and nothing to say.  I'm as loyal as they come, but I tuned out of the season in the 2nd half of the Kent game.  I tuned out on this season being anything as special as we were made to believe it would be.   Frankly, a nice, relaxing 12-12 season with a late season surge would be really nice about now or any year instead of this constant melodrama.  Hell, even when our players are healthy and aren't on suspension this crap still happens. 

I can't explain it.  (Coming here for some misery loving company) This just seems to be the pattern year after year after year.  We have these great starts or mid-season peeks and then everyone figures us out.  Does it really matter what seed we get?  I'm thinking it might be better for them to have a first round game at home and maybe shake off whatever is going on here. 

I was just astonished by the sloppiness.  It reminded me of those Kitten games when they would one possession after another just strip the ball out of our players hands.

Always hopeful and would love to be cruising along right now but not having any expectations going into the tournament is a bit of a relief.

• Like 2

BIG DOG IS NOT IN SHAPE AT ALL, HE GOT BEAT ALL NIGHT WHOEVER HE GUARDED HAD THERE WAY. WHY THE HELL HAVE WE STOPPED RUNNING TEAMS USE TO THAT CRAP THROWING IN TO BIG DOGG! LETS PUT OUR ATHLETIC PLAYERS ON THE FLOOR . OUR WE WILL HAVE A EARLY EXIT OUT THE TOURNAMENT PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ogzips

15 minutes ago, ogzips said:

BIG DOG IS NOT IN SHAPE AT ALL, HE GOT BEAT ALL NIGHT WHOEVER HE GUARDED HAD THERE WAY. WHY THE HELL HAVE WE STOPPED RUNNING TEAMS USED TO THAT CRAP THROWING IN TO BIG DOGG! LETS PUT OUR ATHLETIC PLAYERS ON THE FLOOR . OUR WE WILL HAVE A EARLY EXIT OUT THE TOURNAMENT PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just saying that at home tonight.  Would be nice if he lost even 20#?  And whoever mentioned having Poke in there at the end.  Brilliant.  Anything would have been better than throwing it in to the guy who can't jump and has four guys standing around him.  But I qualify it with...I'm not the coach nor would you want me to be.

And as for this Friday, I think we are looking at a 20+ loss up there.  Once the second half of Kent occurred, the rest of the season became quite predictable.  Hope to get that home win against Miami but don't expect that to be an easy one either.  These guys seem really down and angry with each other.

Edited by NWAkron

6 hours ago, zippy_ua_00 said:

As I said in the Kent thread. This team isn't as good as their record indicates. They may pull this game out but I think they lose at Canada and at Kent. If we somehow manage to win the tourney, we will be seeded a 15 and get slaughtered. If not we will go to the NIT and probably play at a lower seeded P5 team and lose in the first round. Zips are Just an average team at best and it's so frustrating when we have the talent that we do.

I've been saying this as well.  Gently, but truthfully.  We're not nearly as good as our record indicates.  Winning by the skin of our teeth in the MAC.  Even if we'd go undefeated in the MAC by winning by the skin of our teeth, that's a recipe for another 1st-round exit in the Big Dance.

Man, I don't know where this is going, but I see some strange things.

1) After everyone thought that Free Throws would eventually be our demise, we hit 28 of 33 over the last two games, yet we LOSE both games.

2)  A little over a week ago, we think that our offense is starting to fall apart with our new emphasis on defense, yet we put up 87 points with a 22/9 asst./turnover margin in one of our best offensive performances of the year on the road at EMU.

3) After Buffalo was seemingly on an unstoppable run, they get hammered at home by Kent.  

I know people like to react emotionally, but we didn't suddenly become an "average" basketball team.  Average D-1 teams don't put together 22-6 records.  But we are struggling to put everything together at the same time consistently.   We're not going to probably shoot 35% and turn the ball over 14 times in a game again this year.  But will something else happen that costs us a title?

I'm simply looking for this team to show that they have the potential to put it all together at the same time.  They have 3 games to do that.  And in the process, it would sure be nice to lock up the MAC title and get that part out of the way.  Then get Big Dog 5 days of much-needed rest.   

Then, fasten your seat belts for the usual free-for-all in Cleveland.   It won't be the dream season that had good promise just a short time ago, but we've still got much to play for.  

Edited by skip-zip